LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Front Passenger Side Axle removal?

Ok, before you die hard members flame me, I have done some searching. I'm not new to forums so I know to search before I make a new thread.

I'm looking for information about replacing my passenger's side axle assembly. I have pretty much all the tools to do it but I wanted to know if there were any hidden unforseen problems before I get started. I ordered the axle the other day and I'm waiting on it to come in so I wanted to have my guns loaded before I break down the Altima. I have another ride but I didn't want to have to use it, for a long period of time, if I happen to run into a major problem. I have a 02' 2.5S.
Are there any special tools required?
Is there a retaining ring that I have to remove before I can pull the axle out?

I know I have to:

1) Remove the wheel/tire
2) Remove the brake assembly, (Can I just get a wire and hang the caliper out of the way?)
3) Dissconnect the lower control arm.
4) Do I need to dissconnect the ball joint \ tie rod ?
5) while I was at it, replace the bushings, if so, what are a good replacement? (moog?)

If I can think of anything else, I'll post it.

Thank you in advance.
Stephen

Oh yeah, pictures would be nice

Bitches come and go but speed is forever

Last edited by GuessWhatMan; 06-16-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: left out year and engine size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Snow... what

You can just hang the caliper off the spring with a tie strap or coat hanger. You do not need to remove the brake rotor.
You need to remove the tie rod end from the hub, the ball joint can stay.
Remove the two bolts holding the strut to the hub.
There isn't a clip or anything that needs to be taken out before the axle will come out of the trans, it just pops out(use a hammer and a pry bar)
The mount on the engine for the passenger side axle is kind of a PITA to get out, but you can do it. Assuming its the same as a 3.5, not sure tho.
Moog is very good quality stuff, i'd go with them.

#3 Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SickSer View Post
You can just hang the caliper off the spring with a tie strap or coat hanger. You do not need to remove the brake rotor.
You need to remove the tie rod end from the hub, the ball joint can stay.
Remove the two bolts holding the strut to the hub.
There isn't a clip or anything that needs to be taken out before the axle will come out of the trans, it just pops out(use a hammer and a pry bar)
The mount on the engine for the passenger side axle is kind of a PITA to get out, but you can do it. Assuming its the same as a 3.5, not sure tho.
Moog is very good quality stuff, i'd go with them.
Thanks for the info. Just what I was thinking.

Where do I find the torque setting when I go put everything back together?

#4 Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Snow... what

Getting a FSM or something like that would say the torque specs. But personally I would just make sure that its all tight and not going to come loose and your are fine. Make sure you have the axle nut as hell, because mine was backing itself loose awhile ago and I had never even touched it before.

#5 Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SickSer View Post
Getting a FSM or something like that would say the torque specs. But personally I would just make sure that its all tight and not going to come loose and your are fine. Make sure you have the axle nut as hell, because mine was backing itself loose awhile ago and I had never even touched it before.
What is "FSM" Not sure what that means. I'm still a noob to this type of car and I'm learning as fast as I can though.

Oh yeah, very fimilar with that dam nut. I have a 2' breaker bar and the right size socket. Both half inch driven. I think I can break it loose. I've already had to replace that dam bearing twice now. WTF??? Don't get me started with some of the problems I've had.... other than those unmentioned problems, the car is pretty sweet!!!

Thanks again for the help.

#6 Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Snow... what

Factory Service Manual. I have had my share of little dumb problems too lol, but its been a good car non the less. I thought my wheel bearing was really loose and was going to replace it also, then when i went to take the axle nut off it was already loose and I was like wtf? Tightened it up and the bearing was fine lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode