Qr20de - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 AM

Qr20de

I have done a lot of searching keep coming up empty. I have a 2003 nissan altima equipped with a 2.5 and a manual trans. The engine is burning a lot of oil and its time to replace it. Has any one ever done a jdm qr20de swap. I would imagine the qr20de is a better engine then the 25 but any feed back would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 AM
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Garage
under powered.
it would use more gas.
bad idea, all around.
if an altima was posta have that small of a motor, nissan would have put 1 in it from the factory...

Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 AM
Team Sun*Works

lmao, i would look into it. may be a better engine to boost or something, who knows... i'd stay with the 2.5 though personally. if not upgrade to the vq
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM

Not looking for power just a engine that keeps running. The 2.5l 5 speed seems to be geared pretty deep for the torque of the motor and almost 3.5k rpm at highway speeds. Dont think the smaller engine will make it suffer to much, it's only 25 horse difference and I imgine the 2.0 would develop more power then the 2.5 is now. I have a zx10r for speed just need a car for cold or rainy days, one that will last more then 100k miles w/o self destructing.
Would a 2.0 from a car with an auto just need a flywheel swap to work in my car? If the qr20 would last as long as my old Nissan motors i would be happy if it was as bad as the qr25 i wouldn't be. So does anyone know if the qr20de is more reliable then the qr25de.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 AM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Personally I'd just get different car if you're talking about needing a car according to weather. I'd hate to pour money into something that isn't guaranteed to perform as predicted or go as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_turner_02 View Post
just found out that in 2 hours I will be dressing up like justin effing bieber and lip syncing to one of his songs at a damn pep rally in front of the entire school.....fml
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 AM
zoom zoom

The QR25DE is not a bad or unreliable engine. It was the shitty precat that nissan used on them that was their downfall. I'd stick with the QR25 and just throw a header on it to make sure the problem doesn't happen again.

I'm sure there would be some hidden problems involved in swapping in a completely different engine. Is the engine bolt pattern the same? What about the ECU? Mounts? there is a lot to consider.

'06 Mazda 3s GT 5MT - Current DD / autox car
Dunlop Star Specs, Mazdaspeed Catback

Old 08-05-2011, 01:26 AM

Garage
i had the same problem with my 2.5, i also have a altima 4 dr ,manual, the precat breaks apart faster with a stick from back pressure , my motor blew twice , i got smart and found a 2.5 out of a sentra spec v, put a stillen header and exhaust, intake, and a ground wire kit, car runs perfect and doesn't burn no oil at all,the only oil i see is from the tires...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:54 AM

QR20de

Here is a little information for anyone who might be interested in the swap. I got a JDM qr20de engine with auto trans for just under a 1000 bucks. I dropped the 2.5 out of the bottom of the car then sat it on my work bench next to the 2.0. I had a manual trans so the auto trans it came with was of no use to me. First thing was different was the motor mounts. The 2.0 used only 2 bolts to mount on the front and 3 in the back. The front side mount bolted right up even though the 2.0 didnt use 4 bolts they where all drilled and tapped. The back side had the last 2 bolt holes I needed in the block casting but I still had to drill them the rest of the way out and tap them. The CV joint holder thing was different but the one off my 2.5 bolted up w/o an issue. Next thing that was different was starter location and the 2.0 had a big hole in the back of the block for a starter while the 2.5 starter was mounted to the transmission. Took a piece of sheet metal cut it with a plasma cutter to fit where the starter went and it bolted right up. The auto block was missing 2-3 holes for mounting a manual trans so more drilling and tapping(Again pilot holes in the block casting). I decided to use my old wiring harness off the 2.5 and noticed the Japanese had a lot less crap on it. I had to move ps pump off the 2.5 cause there was a single connector for a wire that went into the harness, had to reuse my old gutted precat from the 2.5 because the jdm header only had 1 o2 sensor. The alternator from the 2.0 was 100 amp while the 2.5 was 110 amp so went with the stronger of the two. One thing that i wasnt to sure about was the on the intake there is a sensor on the valve that opens the secondary butterflys and the jdm didn't have anything but a strait intake so no sensor no secondary's. I went with the jdm intake and havent had any problems with but it's only been a few days and I'm still holding onto the 2.5 intake.

I used the 2.5 computer since the 2.0 didnt come with one. I am waiting to run a few tanks of fuel through the car before I take a closer look at how its all working. If the 2.5 computer runs it rich or doesnt do something I like ill just pick a 2.0 computer but right now it all appears to be working good.

If your going to do anything that requires taking driveplate/flywheel off make sure you find the right tools or you could be down for a while. The auto that I had used a E20 bolt. It's an inverted torx so the head of the bold is the same as a torx bit. The manual trans had what I believe to be t-57 bolt heads and I couldn't find either very easy. I wouldn't recommend this but I used a t55.

Oh one thing I found interesting was jdm harness > usdm harness but jdm was cut up. All the connectors on the jdm harness where easy to work with I dont know if the new connectors where implemented here or not but they where nice.

As far as power goes you can tell the 2.0 has less torque but matches the 5 speed trans gear ratio's. I can only really tell the difference when I am sitting in a gear thats to high for the situation and want to try to lug it out, the 2.5 didnt care as much as the 2.0. The power the 2.0 puts out is plenty for a daily driver car feels like it has more power then the sentra I was given as rental from an insurance company recently. As far as gas mileage goes it hasn't been used enough since the swap to tell yet.

Last edited by murtagh; 09-27-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:04 AM
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013

Good to see you tackle this!!

If it runs how it's supposed to, maybe 30+ mpg can be seen on the freeway...
Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
My little champion...

Wow, another motor swap. I was about to ask if the MR20DE would bolt up? Do you have any pics? As this car gets older, more and more swaps seem to be happening.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 AM

Since the altima is quite a big car, i would suggest turbo charged the 2.0 motor..at least a small one like T25 turbo.

Engine & Tuning: Weapon R Intake|OBX TB Spacer|OBX 4-2-1 header|DC EX5012 aka fart can

Brakes & Suspension: Racingline FSTB|SE-R RSB|Brakemotive D/S Rotors+Ceramic Pads|Tein-S Springs|KYB struts

Interior: LED Interior,license plate, trunk and footwell| Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped panels| DIY Voltmeter|35% tint|

Exterior:V-leds 6000k HIDs| Halo projector fogs with 6000K HIDs| Duplicolor Caliper Paint(Red)|light Smoked Taillights|

To Do: KYB struts| 35% tint|

Audio: Dual XDMAR6720| Kenwood P709|Kenwood P6994

Summer mode: 18" 350z V2 rims

Winter mode: 16" stock steels with General Altimax Arctic
Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Who wants a body massage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutt View Post
If it runs how it's supposed to, maybe 30+ mpg can be seen on the freeway...
Huh? I get that on my 2.5 auto nearly every time. Overall average is 29.25 since I've owned the car and I can easily get 34 on the interstate.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
RacingLine Guy

I would love to see pics also
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 AM

Looks the same as QR25

The engine looks exactly the same as the 2.5 except for the stamp below the head that says qr20 instead of qr25. I even used the same engine cover. I have had quite a few people send me PMs asking if it is still running and it is. I have about 10k miles on the car since I did the swap. Did run into a blown head gasket shortly after the swap don't know what caused it but after the experience the qr25 gave me I swapped it out in about 4 hours and that has been the only real problem I have had with it. I get better mpg on interstate then before but about the same in the city. I drag gears out way longer cause you can tell its short 25hp-25ft/lbs. If you want the car for anything else other then cheap reliable transportation don't do this swap. I have driven slower cars but not many but it serves it's purpose now for me and thats a long commute back and forth from work. I don't know if I'm right but I has a sentra rental car and it seemed a lot slower then my 2.0 altima it had the auto trans

PS. looked it up in my records and i have 33k miles on swap not 10k
The Following User Says Thank You to murtagh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtagh View Post
The engine looks exactly the same as the 2.5 except for the stamp below the head that says qr20 instead of qr25. I even used the same engine cover. I have had quite a few people send me PMs asking if it is still running and it is. I have about 10k miles on the car since I did the swap. Did run into a blown head gasket shortly after the swap don't know what caused it but after the experience the qr25 gave me I swapped it out in about 4 hours and that has been the only real problem I have had with it. I get better mpg on interstate then before but about the same in the city. I drag gears out way longer cause you can tell its short 25hp-25ft/lbs. If you want the car for anything else other then cheap reliable transportation don't do this swap. I have driven slower cars but not many but it serves it's purpose now for me and thats a long commute back and forth from work. I don't know if I'm right but I has a sentra rental car and it seemed a lot slower then my 2.0 altima it had the auto trans

PS. looked it up in my records and i have 33k miles on swap not 10k

My Ride Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.