Info and Symptoms:
99K miles
OEM exhaust, no mods
SES Light on (P1273 code)
Fuel smell noticable near outside read of the car
Braiding on exhaust flex pipe torn, but can't find a break in the flex pipe
No noticable breaks in the precat, cat piping, muffler, resonator,
Louder Exhaust
Grounding wire near tailpipes is broken.
Fuel mileage: unknown (my other half drives the car and buys the gas)
Oil consumption: Unknown (I'll keep track from now on)

Questions:
I've been reading through other threads, and it seems people will replace sensors only to have the P1273 code come back. The o2 and a/f sensors aren't cheap, so I'd like to narrow down which one it could be. Based on the fuel smell, which sensor might be bad?

I see two sensors on the exhaust: before the precat and before the flexpipe. Which sesnors are these, and where are the others?

I've read about the precat particles getting sucked into the engine, wearing the cylinder walls and rings, and oil consumption going up. I'd love to fix this before it becomes an issue, if it is an issue I'll sell the car. One thought was oil is being consumed, blown out the exhaust and has gunked up a sensor. Has a bad precat been linked to the P1273 code?

Chuckie
'05 Altima 2.5S, 129K.
Fixed: Rust holes in floor
Replaced: both CP sensors, Header without precat, alternator, blower motor resistor
Maintenance: Oil, trans fluid, brake pads & rotors, battery, serpentine belt.
I'm Never buying a Nissan ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been working through a P1273 code issue. I changed a/f1 sensor only to have the code reappear. I ended up screwing up the throttle positions while looking for an intake or vacuum leak. I had to have it relearned at the dealer. While it was there they pressure tested the intake and vacuum systems and found no leaks (actually I got "it held pressure amazingly well for 200k" comment). The code was not present at the time I took it in, so they did not look further. It reappeared and I took the car back into the dealer. According to my dealer, the computer needs to learn the "calibration" of the new sensor. Has anyone else heard of this? Based on my line of work, it makes some sense but I don't work with cars. Is there a way to initiate a learn sequence from "home"?

Update: Upon picking up my car from the dealer, I inquired about the relearning for the new a/f sensor. They said that each sensor has a slightly different sensitivity and this one must be more sensitive than the last such that it's causing the code to keep coming on. If it had been less sensitive, the code would not have reappeared. The readings would be in spec, wrong but in spec. Based on my everyday job I know that sensor sensitivities (or gains) vary from sensor to sensor, especially in my line of work. I just wonder if the same thing carries to the automotive sensors like this.

Last edited by AWhite; 01-05-2012 at 09:42 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for bumping this thread. Here's my follow-up to my original post:

I ended up bringing the car to the Stealership. I told them the code, brought in the NTB06-039a service bulletin and wrote the symptoms in the bulletin. I paid the $110 for the diagnosis. Sure enough, they tell me it's a bad rear-oxygen sensor, $300 to replace it, and they will deduct the cost of the diagnosis. I declined. They also cleared the code as well.

I knew I wanted to replace the stock precat. I ordered anftermarket precat-less manifolds from the user MarkSpecV on this forum. With the new header, you need spacers on the rear o2 sensor, and the new bosch sensor is wider than the stock one, and didn't fit in the spacers. I drilled out the spacers more, but didn't have a drill bit large enough for the sensor. I gave up and reused the old o2 sensor. I returned the new o2 sensor and saved $100 on that.

Over 1K miles later - still no SES light. No more fuel smell. I think I paid the Stealership $110 to clear my code. Ugh.

Chuckie
'05 Altima 2.5S, 129K.
Fixed: Rust holes in floor
Replaced: both CP sensors, Header without precat, alternator, blower motor resistor
Maintenance: Oil, trans fluid, brake pads & rotors, battery, serpentine belt.
I'm Never buying a Nissan ever again.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 PM

I never had any fuel smell or adverse performance. I had a P0420 and then the P1273. I changed each of the sensors. Interesting that your Bosch was different from the stock sensor. Both Bosch sensors (exact replacement, not universal) were absolutely identical to the 8 year old stock sensor (other than the protective coating on the wires). I looked up online that (supposedly) the O2 sensors for Nissan are produced by Bosch.

Additionally, the mentioned the efficiency of my pre-cat is still very high even at 8 years old/202k. Computers are great when they work. Aren't they?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM

I had the P0402 code and my pre-cat was fine. Stealership wanted money to diagnose even though there is a bulletin with an ECM reflash specifically for this.

I gutted the stock pre-cat, since it's only a matter of time that it's going to fail and destroy the engine. I couldn't stand the thought of driving my car around "waiting" for it to completely go to crap.

To keep the P0402 from coming back I installed one of those screw in spark plug non-fouler type O2 sims into the rear and installed the original O2 on top of it.

10,000 miles and has not come back. With a scan tool the rear O2 is pegging around .8volts while cruising. At idle it comes back down to match the front O2 sensor, but as of yet it hasn't set a code.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just replaced my precat with a OBX-R header and I got the P1273 light now instead of the P0420 light. Now I do not know what to do as I am getting sick of this light. Is it the oxygen sensors that is the problem or something else? Also at 1.5 rpm I hear like a rattle sound in the engine, does anyone else get that? Its only at 1.5, engine old is fine. Please advise thank you.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 11:03 PM

I get the rattle sound at 1500 rpm too. Sub'd to see an answer on this.

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5s
post #8 of 11 Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have a P1273 code, it has nothing to do with the pre-cat at all. At least that is what i read and search from. If you look up the service bulletin, the first thing come up is A/F ratio bank 1, which is the 2nd o2 sensor. I got the same code few weeks ago. The only thing i did is took out the o2 sensor, submerge in gas overnight and install it back on. Fixed the problem.

There are carbon atoms in the exhaust gas, which is the source of the carbon build up on the surface of the sensor. Gasoline is one of the best chemical to clean the sensor itself. Some people recommend you to clean it with wire-brush and gasoline. Personally, i dont recommend that. It is because wire-brush is a metal brush...once it hit the sensor surface rapidly, there comes a spark. Whats gonna happen when they is gas on the surface...? Either on fire or ....BOOM.

Old Car.
Engine & Tuning: Weapon R Intake|OBX TB Spacer|OBX 4-2-1 header|DC EX5012 aka fart can

Brakes & Suspension: Racingline FSTB|SE-R RSB|Brakemotive D/S Rotors+Ceramic Pads|Tein-S Springs|KYB struts

Interior: LED Interior,license plate, trunk and footwell| Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped panels| DIY Voltmeter|35% tint|

Exterior:V-leds 6000k HIDs| Halo projector fogs with 6000K HIDs| Duplicolor Caliper Paint(Red)|light Smoked Taillights|

To Do: KYB struts| 35% tint|

Audio: Dual XDMAR6720| Kenwood P709|Kenwood P6994

Summer mode: 18" 350z V2 rims

Winter mode: 16" stock steels with General Altimax Arctic

New car: 2010 Infiniti G37S Sedan 6MT

Tein-S lowering springs, Taketa Cold Air Intake, Invidia Q300 Catback, slotted rotors, 20" STR Racing 607 20x9 F/20x10.5 R
The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerlui For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 11 Old 10-07-2014, 07:21 PM

Are you losing oil? If you are, check your compression in the cylinders. I found much lower compression in cylinder 2 during a dry test. Did the wet test which reveals bad piston rings. In most cases this will allow oil blow by and my theory (I'm not a mechanic) is that the cylinder is experiencing bad combustion resulting in excess air not being utilized subsequently resulting in the lean code.

Mods: Installed

Ingen CAI
Magnaflow Catback
Powerslot Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Pads
SRS 4-1 Header with full ceramic coating
RacingLine Grounding Kit
Racing Line Strut Tower Brace

Mods: On Wish List

Lowering Springs
Sway bars
Rims/Tires
Body Kit/General Aesthetics
Struts/Shocks...Hopefully something other than KYB
post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2017, 05:57 PM

If I need the oxygen sensor related to the code P1273 - which one do I need?

Which brand is recommended?

2005 NISSAN SENTRA 1.8L L4 Oxygen (O2) Sensor | RockAuto

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Automatic transmission

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD

Several GMT400 6.5 diesels 94 to 98 - About the only thing I know how to work on a little
post #11 of 11 Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 PM

Smile The dreaded P1273 code

The P1273 code is a hen that lays golden eggs for Nissan dealerships, repair shops as well as parts dealers since it is so vague in the fault .Not sure how the DOT can allow such a vague code which cannot even pinpoint a problem in the vehicle. You can end up changing air flow meter, O2 sensors, exhaust pipes, intake manifold, fuel injectors, fuel pump, vacuum pipes, fuel tank, software upgrade and many more subsystems that you can think of resulting in a flow of money. I was harassed by this code for 2/3 years and nobody could solve it .Finally I disconnected the battery-both connections and shorted them overnight. The next morning I selected a ziploc bag and covered the air intake funnel under the bonnet on the drivers side and used a rubber band to hold it on the neck of the air intake funnel. The code never came back. Cost of rectification was less than a dollar.If this does not work then buy a 3 dollar sponge from home depot and cut it and stuff it into the incoming air tube inside the air filter box as it is very difficult to access the lower air intake funnel.Test the car and see if it does not gasp and stop and adjust. Hope this helps all those who have stress before the yearly inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode