Oil on the Spark Plug Repair for less $$ - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil on the Spark Plug Repair for less $$

I was working on a 2002 Altima 2.5 when I noticed that the spark plug tube seals were bad. I called the Nissan dealer they said the seal were not a replacement item, but came new with a new valve cover that was $80+.
I removed the old seals & I found a seal that would work a National# 471270
@ $5 per seal X 4. They worked GR8, they may also fit the 3.5L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM

i believe autozone for a set of valve cover gasket includes these seal for 20~25.00 i think. I did it once in a 94 altima , the set of gaskets were 20 bucks only.

Engine & Tuning: Weapon R Intake|OBX TB Spacer|OBX 4-2-1 header|DC EX5012 aka fart can

Brakes & Suspension: Racingline FSTB|SE-R RSB|Brakemotive D/S Rotors+Ceramic Pads|Tein-S Springs|KYB struts

Interior: LED Interior,license plate, trunk and footwell| Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped panels| DIY Voltmeter|35% tint|

Exterior:V-leds 6000k HIDs| Halo projector fogs with 6000K HIDs| Duplicolor Caliper Paint(Red)|light Smoked Taillights|

To Do: KYB struts| 35% tint|

Audio: Dual XDMAR6720| Kenwood P709|Kenwood P6994

Summer mode: 18" 350z V2 rims

Winter mode: 16" stock steels with General Altimax Arctic
#3 Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
Spark plug tube seals

Correct me if I am incorrect, on 2002 Altima 2.5 & I believe 3.5 & above, the valve covers are made of plastic. The seals on the plastic valve cover are not a replacement item, according to the Nissan dealer. The auto parts stores I talk to said they could get them put could never find a part#. They cked the valve cover gasket sets, but no spark plug tube seals in the sets. Thats when I found the National #471270 seal worked GR8 for this repair & for 1/4 the price of a new valve cover.
#4 Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 AM

Sry i havent check this post for a long time. The valve cover is the cover that covers your cams, you are able to see some parts of valve springs too. Since it is part of the motor, it should not be plastic. If you see the valve covers are a piece of plastic..im pretty sure u r looking at the engine cover instead of the valve cover. I believe this is the parts that u r looking for.

Nissan Spark Plug Well Gasket QR25DE SR20DE

Engine & Tuning: Weapon R Intake|OBX TB Spacer|OBX 4-2-1 header|DC EX5012 aka fart can

Brakes & Suspension: Racingline FSTB|SE-R RSB|Brakemotive D/S Rotors+Ceramic Pads|Tein-S Springs|KYB struts

Interior: LED Interior,license plate, trunk and footwell| Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped panels| DIY Voltmeter|35% tint|

Exterior:V-leds 6000k HIDs| Halo projector fogs with 6000K HIDs| Duplicolor Caliper Paint(Red)|light Smoked Taillights|

To Do: KYB struts| 35% tint|

Audio: Dual XDMAR6720| Kenwood P709|Kenwood P6994

Summer mode: 18" 350z V2 rims

Winter mode: 16" stock steels with General Altimax Arctic
#5 Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 AM

(Thread Starter)
The valve cover is made of plastic & it does cover the camshafts. And that gasket wont work on an 2002 Altima for the Spark Plug Well Gasket. If you ever do one you will know what I'm indicating.
#6 Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM

If I remember correctly, my 2005 2.5L had built in spark plug tube gaskets. I know for the four gaskets were not connected together like the ones in the link provided.

I will post a picture of my old valve cover this weekend.

Hey $80-$95 is not bad for a repair/maintenance. This is not like rebuilding an engine or transmission.
#7 Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Flames View Post
I was working on a 2002 Altima 2.5 when I noticed that the spark plug tube seals were bad. I called the Nissan dealer they said the seal were not a replacement item, but came new with a new valve cover that was $80+.
I removed the old seals & I found a seal that would work a National# 471270
@ $5 per seal X 4. They worked GR8, they may also fit the 3.5L.
Hey so I have this exact problem. Where do I put this part# to find it! Not trying to spend $150 for a new valve cover
#8 Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 AM

LOL It's made of plastic?
#9 Old 10-19-2013, 10:35 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skud57 View Post
Hey so I have this exact problem. Where do I put this part# to find it! Not trying to spend $150 for a new valve cover
National is the brand name its has been around or more than 50 years,
Just call a good auto parts store see if they can cross the National #471270 to the brand they carry.
#10 Old 10-26-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
THis has been touched on before and everyone told me, just go buy the complete valve cover ect. I just wanted to replace the tube seals not the valve cover. Anyways when i replaced one of my valve covers. the seals. were not plastic they were harden dried out rubber seals that look plastic. If you find a wheel seal ect that works let us know pleaseeeeeeee. I bet light bead of rvt silicone will solve the problem also.The front valve cover im gonna do either way silicone or find a seal. !30bucks for a new valve cover is a joke.

Oh is maintance only 80 90 bucks, A gasket is like 10 bucks. Image if you had alumunim valve covers.

Last edited by 4ftswells; 10-26-2013 at 07:36 AM.
#11 Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Oil Leak Fix - Valve Cover Gasket & Spark Pulug Seals Replacement 2002 - 2006 Altima.

I just replacede mine. Valve cover cost me $150 from dealer. You can buy the same OEM part on ebay for $90, but unfortunately I needed my car the next day and I couldn't wait for a week.

How to repair viedeo can be found here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode