Clunk from front end - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clunk from front end

Hello everyone, I've been getting a clunk/thump from the right front of my car for quite sometime now. So far I have replaced both front struts with KYB-GR2 along with the mount/bushing. Everything else is stock. I just tightened the strut brace this evening to no avail.

The car was recently checked by a mechanic and they said everything was fine.
The symptoms are a clunk from the right front only and it seems most apparent on repetitive bumps and ripples in the road. However if the bump is severe enough it will make a nice big clunk. Its quite annoying and disruptive while inside the cabin when you go over these imperfections in the road.

Not sure if this is anything related to the clunk problem but I recently just noticed a faint grown/creek coming from the front end at low speeds and moderate pressure on the brake pedal. You can actually feel the tapping through the floor boards.

I've made 2 videos and 2 audio clips taken from the same location as the videos. I feel the audio is a little bit better from the audio clips only. Keep in mind that during the entire time you hear the rattling/clunking I am holding the camera/voice recorder in my hand. In some ways the audio doesn't do it justice compared to sitting in the passenger seat but maybe someone can make some suggestions as to what it is. Thanks in advance.

The auto specs: 2005 Altima 2.5S

Audio clip 1

Audio Clip 2

Last edited by JonnyT; 10-23-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM

2 things I'd look at is the lower control arm and the drivers side motor mount. Make that 3 by checking the strut link it maybe broken.

03 Altima S.E 3.5
Mods...Lots.
#3 Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Riding Dirty

Dude I have that EXACT same problem. Mine is more severe since when going over bumps the steering control is completely lost! On turns the car dips from the right side. I also have a thump/clunck noise, groan at 15/20mph

I got it check by several shops most said its nothing, but yesterday dealership told me right strut is blown/leaking. Rear shocks are toast.

Silver Metallic '06 G35 Coupe
-Not stock, blacked out rims, CCFL headlights, tinted windows, blacked out rear valence

Previous: Black 2002 and White 2006 Altima

#4 Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 PM

i have had the same problem now for over a year and i changed all the struts/shocks to kyb/Gr-2's (mounts also) and im still having the same problem.. cant seem to figure it out it sounds like im driving on a basketball
#5 Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Is BRooKLYN in Da HouSe!?

This topic has been discussed many times in the past and i think all of our cars tend to have a different fix for the issue. When i upgraded all my shocks and struts, the main thing i forgot to do was change the boot that goes over the shock. Once i went back and did that my problem was solved.
#6 Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 PM

im not sure about the OP but my noise is coming from the front end not the rear
#7 Old 10-23-2011, 11:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
Okay guys, when I made my first post I was doing it rather quickly so now I'll make some clarifications.

When I mentioned the "right" side I was referring to the passenger side. The clunk noise was there before I replaced the OEM struts to the new KYB-GR2s. I bought everything that was needed to replace them the correct way. Strut, boots and new mounts. I reused the original springs as there was no need to replace them. Nothing seemed out of place on them.

After I replaced the struts the clunk wasn't apparent as with the OEM struts but that was due to the fact of the stiffer suspension. The clunk was still there if I hit a bump hard enough.

As per the instructions on what to check on the "02-06 Altima Clunking From Front End" thread I'm pretty sure I ruled out the list. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know exactly what to look for. And duplicating the noise can only be done while the vehicle is in motion.

I have jacked up the right wheel and shook it from side to side and from top to bottom and feel no play in it. I performed the motor mount test and the engine doesn't seem to have any abnormal play in it nor is there any noise while the test was performed. Its possible I have a defective strut but unlikely.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I feel a grown/tapping while braking from 5-10 mph. Recently I noticed a faint clicking/tapping noise while going over speed bumps at an adjacent angle. But that could be anything with the entire car moving around. I still have not done the rear shocks due to lack of cash atm.

I will continue looking in the areas that peelman suggested. When I was tightening the strut brace none of the bolts seemed abnormally loose but I did tighten them a bit.

I thought by replacing the front struts would solve my clunking problem but apparently there are more components to investigate. I hope it won't be a major repair such as the lower control arm. I would like to know just what it is. These noises can be such a mystery.

Thanks for your help guys. If you have any other questions or suggestions please feel free to share them.

Last edited by JonnyT; 10-23-2011 at 11:10 PM.
#8 Old 10-23-2011, 11:26 PM

JonnyT im still on the same boat as you only things different is that I replaced the rear shocks and i also have a RL strut bar in addtion to the factory one which I attempted to tighten but everything was tight i also have no play in the wheel .... mine also was making noise with stock as well as the kyb's
#9 Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 AM

(Thread Starter)
After closer inspection of the right front "passenger side" motor mount it seems to be broken. You need to remove the engine coolant reservoir in order to inspect it thoroughly.

I've posted a picture and video so you can see what a broken engine mount on the Altima looks like. Take note of the crack I have pointed out in the picture. In the video clip I first was in drive while holding the brake and then reverse. You can see the separation on the right bottom corner whereas the left side is still attached. I guess this makes sense that the right corner wears out more so than the left because normally acceleration is in the forward gears and not the reverse gear. This must be rattling around causing the "thump, thump thump" sound when I run over moderate to severe bumps.

I'll be looking forward to changing this out with a new one as soon as possible. For those members that are complaining of the same symptoms I advise you to check your motor mounts thoroughly as it may not always be apparent. In my case I could not see the separation as the engine sat. I needed to raise the engine with a jack or rev the engine while in "D" or "R" with my foot on the brake.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA230640.jpg
Views:	1688
Size:	479.6 KB
ID:	32712  

Last edited by JonnyT; 10-24-2011 at 03:42 AM.
#10 Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 AM

wow.. thanks now i got to check mine out tomorrow after work
#11 Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 AM

any updates? have you replaced it?
#12 Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Riding Dirty

So i replaced all the struts/shocks on all four sides, inner and outer tie rods and now my car is having this bumping every 2 seconds. How many motor mounts are there?

-Not stock, blacked out rims, CCFL headlights, tinted windows, blacked out rear valence

#13 Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 AM
My little champion...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo5 View Post
So i replaced all the struts/shocks on all four sides, inner and outer tie rods and now my car is having this bumping every 2 seconds. How many motor mounts are there?
Four.
#14 Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Mallard Masher

Motor mounts

Has anyone tried the motor mounts mfg by DEA that are on eBay and Amazon? I can get all 4 mounts (3 motor, 1 tranny) for about $130 on Amazon, but the same OEM mounts are well over $250 if I buy all them from a Nissan parts source. I'm all about saving a dollar, but I don't want to buy junk for something as important as motor mounts.

Anyone tried DEA mounts?
#15 Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Riding Dirty

So I got all the motor mounts checked out, there fine. Any other part to get checked guys? Do wheel bearings make loud propeller type noise at 45mph?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode