2002 Heater issue, did the burp/coolant flush, works only for a few hrs???? back - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 Heater issue, did the burp/coolant flush, works only for a few hrs???? back

So I have a 2002 Nissan Altima. I have the same heater issue everyone has, with the sloshing of the coolant behind the dash, as well as no heat when idle. I even get VERY little heat when applying gas. I tried doing the burp procedure - i'm not anywhere near a mechanic, so it was very difficult for me, but the heat did come back - ONLY for a day (few hours). I tried changing the rad cap, got a coolant flush at Nissan, but same problem. The heat worked for a few hours after the coolant flush, but it came back.

So what could it be? My thinking is that the is an air pocket issue, because i DO get heat after doing the burp/flush collant procedure. But something is causing it to have air pockets all over afterwards. Could it be bad hoses to the rad? Or even the whole radiator needs replacing?

The Nissan dealership, I showed them the TSB where it had the burp procedure, and the service guy was like "that's just a coolant flush". So he tells me that if it doesnt fix it, I'm out the 120 they charge for a coolant change. He says for them to diagnose, it's going to cost me (unless i pay for the repair they recommend).

Winter is right around the corner, and I'm getting desperate. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have another mechanic who's fair priced, but he pretty much will do what i tell him to do - meaning he doesnt have the time to keep trying diff things, etc.

Thanks so much for anyone's help....

EDIT***

I finally caved and took to a Nissan Stealership. They told me I needed a new radiator, got it replaced (for close to 700). After that, the heat was barely hot, so I took it back. They flushed the heater core, rebled, and now I have about 50% heat imo...but i have no heat on the windshield/defrost. The mechanic doesnt know what else to do, other than to start replacing parts that MAY or MAY NOT fix my problem.

He says he bled it for a really long time. I dont know what else to do....

Does anyone know what I would only get heat thru the front and foot vents, but not the windshield defrost?

Last edited by shynepo3; 11-25-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM
04-05 Pedal Insert

It's air....got to get the nose end up high to burp and evacuate air.

*Bumper Plugs
Garage:
* 91 MR2 31K miles 4 Sale
*12 3.5 SR w/Tractor Transmission
*12 Quest SL
#3 Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 PM

(Thread Starter)
I tried that already. Jacked the car about 1.5 feet, took of rad cap,
Applied gas to3000 rpm. Etc. It works but
After a few hrs the heat is gone
#4 Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shynepo3 View Post
I tried that already. Jacked the car about 1.5 feet, took of rad cap,
Applied gas to3000 rpm. Etc. It works but
After a few hrs the heat is gone

I have the same problem, I do the same thing this morning, raise the front and let it burp! After 1 hour and gas in less everything looked good, I had heat in idle. Later that afternoon, I did not feel the heat! I live in Montreal, Quebec, and it's getting cold! I even went to a mechanic and he does not understand why the air back into the system.

How long must I leave the car running when I bleed the cooling system.
Thank you in advance for your help!
#5 Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Banned

A small coolant leak could cause this. I get a sloshing issue about every few months and notice that the overflow reservoir is less than where it should be.
#6 Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 AM
04-05 Pedal Insert

I have not had good heat since the monkeys at nissan changed my coolant and thermo. they had it 3 x.......I never got around to burping it the right way......I like the cold

*Bumper Plugs
Garage:
* 91 MR2 31K miles 4 Sale
*12 3.5 SR w/Tractor Transmission
*12 Quest SL
#7 Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
I have not had good heat since the monkeys at nissan changed my coolant and thermo. they had it 3 x.......I never got around to burping it the right way......I like the cold
The burp method works for me, after 3 times ! we have to be patient, it take me 3 times around half hour each to succes! Now I really feel the heat lickibg my face !
#8 Old 11-18-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomi View Post
The burp method works for me, after 3 times ! we have to be patient, it take me 3 times around half hour each to succes! Now I really feel the heat lickibg my face !
That's good to know. I did one burp and it was much better, but not normal. I guess I'll do a couple more.
#9 Old 11-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Ctrl-F Yourself

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
While burping the system, reach down and squeeze the lower radiator hose. Took me 45 minutes and a few MAJOR burps and I got my heat fixed. Its also helpful to have a coolant funnel on hand

E-Racings Front|Tint|Tsudo Catback|Verde 18's|Woodgrain Dash Kit|Tinted Tails|Vinyl Behind Mirrors| Too Much to List!
DIY LED Tursignals In Mirrors|DIY Projector Retrofit|What You Need to Convert to OEM HID|Nissan Factory Service Manual Here|How To Check/Clear SES Codes HERE|Upgrading The Stock Halogen Headlights|Detailed Description of HID and Angel Eyes

BEST IN CLASS AT 2009 CANAL DAYS CAR SHOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVQ35 View Post
Your car is like the ugly chick that all the guys look at in disbelief, but she tells all her girlfriends that guys are constantly checking her out.
#10 Old 11-25-2011, 02:35 PM

(Thread Starter)
can anyone offer any new help with the new info:

I finally caved and took to a Nissan Stealership. They told me I needed a new radiator, got it replaced (for close to 700). After that, the heat was barely hot, so I took it back. They flushed the heater core, rebled, and now I have about 50% heat imo...but i have no heat on the windshield/defrost. The mechanic doesnt know what else to do, other than to start replacing parts that MAY or MAY NOT fix my problem.

He says he bled it for a really long time. I dont know what else to do....

Does anyone know what I would only get heat thru the front and foot vents, but not the windshield defrost?
#11 Old 11-29-2011, 12:26 AM

I have read about this and early on when the 2002's came out they were replacing the heater core because it was believe to be too small. I am not how viable an option that would be but maybe something to look into if you it doesn't get better after several burps.

2002 3.5 SE 5MT
#12 Old 11-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Prepare to be VQmized

I just had to refill mine after replacing a coolant pipe that is attached to the oil filter housing so it was completely drained. I filled it in the garage and then moved it outside to a really steep incline in my yard (probably around 30degrees or more). The funnel I was using fit snugly in the top of the rad, so I could fill it up with a liter or so of coolant. Ran it for more than 30 minutes, varying RPMs and squeezing the lower rad hose occasionally. I stopped after not seeing bubbles for several minutes. Heat is good now, even at idle.

IMHO, the Altima heater is just sufficient...really not hot like other cars I've owned. But if it is blowing cold at idle....it needs to be burped.

'03 Altima 3.5SE MT

Avg MPG calculated over last 42397 miles: 26.423mpg
Best/Worst MPG calculated: 32.294mpg / 22.521mpg
#13 Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

I had the same issue on my 2005 with heater two years ago. Took it to my trusty mechanic with instructions to raise front end etc. He said that it was not a perm or guaranteed solution and that the reason that air gets trapped is because of design flaw with one of the two thermostats-the upper ones position and the thermostat itself. Said something about the thermostat not opening until its engine is reved etc (forgot the full details). Put in a new thermostat and coolant and have not had any heating issues for years now. He also mentioned a similar issue with another altima were he drilled an extra hole in the plate surrounding the coil of the thermostat to allow the thermostat to open quicker. Dont know if that makes engine run hotter but no heat issues for me to date.
#14 Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 AM

Did OP have any luck with a final solution?

I am bringing my car back in to my local garage after they tried a heater core flush and the "burping" When I got it back the heat was really hot but by the next day it was back to normal (no heat at idle).

I tried last week raising it myself on a hill and running it with the cap on but a paper clip on the seal. I was still getting fluid coming out of the system especially when I tried raising the radiator overflow so I didn't run it for very long because I was making a mess (maybe 15 minutes) That didn't seem to help.

Garage said they would check the water pump tomorrow but it seems like that isn't the issue based on other people's posts here and other forums. I am thinking to maybe just ask them to burp the system again (I wanted to buy a fluid/radiator funnel to make doing it myself cleaner but I couldn't find one easily locally). From the sounds of it there still may be air in the system and I can run it a few times and see what happens before paying money to replace something that isn't necessary.
#15 Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 AM

$700 for a to get a new radiator put in? holy...

Once i replaced my radiator it got rid of the problem. im not losing coolant and everything is good now. I would start cheap and check the hoses that go from the radiator and see if the clamps are rusted, although if you had a dealer change your radiator they shouldof/wouldof checked that.

Does the car have any accidents? I know on my old car when i got into a front/driver side accident there was no air coming out of my driver side vent. Just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode