Tuning question - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tuning question

So I figured I should really do something about my cruddy gas mileage and decided I wanna get a tune. Obviously I'm too inexperienced for it. I don't have a lot of money say around the $200 range and I was looking at the BullyDog Triple GT tuner. Would that help or are there better things out there for me?
Are there Tuners that will do more for less? Or at least tuners that take advantage of my mods?

I have a Cold Air Intake, Headers, and Tsudo Exhaust.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM

I have Short ram intake and OBX header, OEM exhaust. However, i do have the Bullydog GT tuner.
There are 3 settings in the bullydog tuner. They are stock, regular, and premium.
Stock- run the stock settings.
Regular- run on regular fuel, gain around 10-15hp.
Premium- run on premium fuel, advance timing 2 degrees. gain around 20-30hp
These numbers were never been dynoed by myself, they are numbers from other nissan's owners.

Back to the topic. Such fuel economy setting does not exist. Fuel economy setting=stock settings+driving coach.
The driving coach will remind you the best way to save gas. It will show your instant MPG, average MPG, trip mpg(from when you start your car to turn off the car). It also show the wasted energy while accelerating or decelerating.

Other than the settings, the gauge itself is a great OBD II gauge. It shows your engine temperature, trans temperature, A/F ratio, rpm, speed, fuel flow, fuel economy, MAF flow, intake temp, also work as a OBD II scanner. Also able to adjust timing, speed and reviving limit by yourself.

I bought mine used on ebay for 138.00 shipped. Check out ebay, they got these around 100-200 range used. 1-200 you get all these gauges in front of you, and it has performance settings as well.

You do get better MPG if you follow the gauge's reminder. around 2-3mpg increase.

Engine & Tuning: Weapon R Intake|OBX TB Spacer|OBX 4-2-1 header|DC EX5012 aka fart can

Brakes & Suspension: Racingline FSTB|SE-R RSB|Brakemotive D/S Rotors+Ceramic Pads|Tein-S Springs|KYB struts

Interior: LED Interior,license plate, trunk and footwell| Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped panels| DIY Voltmeter|35% tint|

Exterior:V-leds 6000k HIDs| Halo projector fogs with 6000K HIDs| Duplicolor Caliper Paint(Red)|light Smoked Taillights|

To Do: KYB struts| 35% tint|

Audio: Dual XDMAR6720| Kenwood P709|Kenwood P6994

Summer mode: 18" 350z V2 rims

Winter mode: 16" stock steels with General Altimax Arctic
#3 Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
It's all Gravy, baby!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ey3CoNz2 View Post
So I figured I should really do something about my cruddy gas mileage and decided I wanna get a tune. Obviously I'm too inexperienced for it. I don't have a lot of money say around the $200 range and I was looking at the BullyDog Triple GT tuner. Would that help or are there better things out there for me?
Are there Tuners that will do more for less? Or at least tuners that take advantage of my mods?

I have a Cold Air Intake, Headers, and Tsudo Exhaust.
Driver mod is going to be the best mod until you're able to get a proper tune.

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
#4 Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM

(Thread Starter)
What's a Driver Mod?

Tiger, Did you notice any difference in power? Like did it actually increase your power or no? Cuz I feel like it would increase power with the stock setup but I don't want to use premium fuel to take advantage of the mods that I have. Unless of course I would be getting better mileage. In which case, it would be worth it.

I've tried hyper-miling and it didn't really make a difference in my fuel economy maybe a 1 mpg increase.

#5 Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 PM
It's all Gravy, baby!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Which engine do you have?

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
#6 Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 PM

(Thread Starter)
The 2.5L S, 4 cylinder.

#7 Old 01-14-2012, 12:40 AM

I would think that needing a tune isn't your problem and tuning to compensate for a problem somewhere else is less than ideal.

03 Altima 3.5 SE 4AT

Berk V2 w/ Apexi ~ NWP VIAS Plate ~ Racingline FSTB, Grounding Kit, Battery Tie-down, Springs ~ KYB GR2's ~ UR Ultra Sc Pulley ~ BT Under hood and Trunk Lighting
#8 Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaner View Post
I would think that needing a tune isn't your problem and tuning to compensate for a problem somewhere else is less than ideal.
That's how I feel too.

I don't wanna buy an 02 sensor if I don't have to. Can I switch my precat and postcat 02 sensors? Is that a good idea? I know the post cat sensor only monitors the emissions and precat monitors if the fuel is rich or lean.

#9 Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was thinking about this earlier and was going to post a topic until I saw this. I have an02 2.5 with about 143k miles. I have an obx header and a tsudo exhaust also but no intake yet. New 02 sensor when I got the header installed about 2 years ago. I often see fuel and wonder exactly how rich I am running even thought I only have the 4 cyclinder engine.

How much of a difference do the three I/H/E make on the 2.5 engine, and should I really find a way to get a tune. I'm not trying to maximize hp but yet allow the engine to get used to the new parts and get back to normal.

2010 2.5 SL

My Ride Thread
#10 Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehazelbandit View Post
I was thinking about this earlier and was going to post a topic until I saw this. I have an02 2.5 with about 143k miles. I have an obx header and a tsudo exhaust also but no intake yet. New 02 sensor when I got the header installed about 2 years ago. I often see fuel and wonder exactly how rich I am running even thought I only have the 4 cyclinder engine.

How much of a difference do the three I/H/E make on the 2.5 engine, and should I really find a way to get a tune. I'm not trying to maximize hp but yet allow the engine to get used to the new parts and get back to normal.
Exactly. I feel like I'm running rich and it wouldn't be so bad getting crappy miles if I was getting more power but I'm kinda getting little power and worse miles. Figured a tune or something along the lines of one would help. I'm gonna try switching the two 02 sensors and see if that makes a difference in my miles. Perhaps my precat sensor is a bit sluggish?

#11 Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 PM

not sure how accurate is the A/F ratios from the ecu. i got 12.X under daily driving.

I do feel a difference. I havent tried the premium tune yet, but i felt difference between stock and regular already. There is a feature called "performance test". It records your 0-60mph time, 1/4 miles, 1/8 miles time. However, i never tried this function yet. It is because the gauge always think i am moving even my car is on parking. I will have to call in and ask for tech help.

Other than that, i love the unit itself. This unit is like an all in one gauge, that let you monitor your car's status. If you can get one around 150, it worth it. You would save the money and time to get custom mount gauge pod, gauges, hook all these gauges up to different locations..

Engine & Tuning: Weapon R Intake|OBX TB Spacer|OBX 4-2-1 header|DC EX5012 aka fart can

Brakes & Suspension: Racingline FSTB|SE-R RSB|Brakemotive D/S Rotors+Ceramic Pads|Tein-S Springs|KYB struts

Interior: LED Interior,license plate, trunk and footwell| Carbon Fiber vinyl wrapped panels| DIY Voltmeter|35% tint|

Exterior:V-leds 6000k HIDs| Halo projector fogs with 6000K HIDs| Duplicolor Caliper Paint(Red)|light Smoked Taillights|

To Do: KYB struts| 35% tint|

Audio: Dual XDMAR6720| Kenwood P709|Kenwood P6994

Summer mode: 18" 350z V2 rims

Winter mode: 16" stock steels with General Altimax Arctic
#12 Old 01-15-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ey3CoNz2 View Post
Exactly. I feel like I'm running rich and it wouldn't be so bad getting crappy miles if I was getting more power but I'm kinda getting little power and worse miles. Figured a tune or something along the lines of one would help. I'm gonna try switching the two 02 sensors and see if that makes a difference in my miles. Perhaps my precat sensor is a bit sluggish?
The O2 sensors have different part numbers, thus most likely they are not simply interchangeable. I would not recommend switching them.

02 altima 2.5s -- 8k HID, CAI, Grounding kit, LED mirror covers, LED door handles - gone but not forgotten

1996 toyota supra tt -- Blitz boost controller, HKS front mount intercooler, HKS Intake, HKS 4-inch catless TBE, HKS coilovers, Viper 2-way alarm. EBCS set to18psi. 395/410 WHP/WTQ Pride and joy

2003 Subaru Wrx -- 05' STI 2.5L shortblock with WRX 2.0L heads, Evo3 16G turbo, walbro 255lph fuel pump, 800cc modded stock injectors, Turbo XS catless TBE, TurboXS bov, ,STI intercooler and sprayer, 17in Rota Subzeros, Viper 2-way alarm. 348/352 WHP/WTQ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode