How To Replace PCV Valve 02-04 Altima 2.5 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How To Replace PCV Valve 02-04 Altima 2.5

I changed my pcv valve today because of oil consumption issues hoping it helps so well see. I purchased a pcv valve from AutoZone for 10.99. I have pics of the process and it really was not that difficult (Took 30 minutes) you just need some basic tools, elbow grease and patience. Anyone who wants to know the process comment.

Tools used
http://www.photoshop.com/users/egarn...91e339d919e115

1) Remove Engine cover which covers the spark plugs
http://www.photoshop.com/users/egarn...6a0e6479c133b0
http://www.photoshop.com/users/egarn...440fb8636e2915 Not my pic props go to tszpara
2) Disconnect all four spark plug plugs and unscrew two screws which hold down the wire harness the plug wires go thru. Its a 10 mm socket. There are two plugs at the right end of that harness which connect to two sensors on the right side of the engine which need to be disconnected to provide for space to remove the valve.
http://www.photoshop.com/users/egarn...c8d1febf21d29f
4) Begin by unscrewing two bolts at the end of the PCV valve pipe which lead to the intake manifold. Refer to previous pic also
5) With some pliers move the clip which applies pressure to the pcv valve and the line, as far back as possible to the rear of the vehicle to relieve hold on pcv valve.
http://www.photoshop.com/users/egarn...71cde2c5062fad
6)At this point I moved the end of the pcv line which lead into the intake manifold under the intake manifold to provide space for the line to be removed from the pcv valve. It will take back and forth tugs of the line to remove it from the valve. Have patience and take your time so you dont crack the line. I used some pliers to help with removing the line.
7) After removing the line I use the pliers to remove the pcv valve instead of 23mm wrench which I believe is the size. I used pliers because I didnt have the 23mm wrench. It worked for me no prob just took a little more elbow grease.
http://www.photoshop.com/users/egarn...81a559609cd95c
http://www.photoshop.com/users/egarn...67d7ec3bbc5d9b
http://www.photoshop.com/users/egarn...74a7cbcbc85ee8
8) After removing the old valve its just a process of reversing for the installation. If anyone has anything to add or correct me please do so I am in no was a pro just a DIYrr trying to help others.

02 2.5/ NISMO CAI, Ebay Header, Magnaflow Muffler/ No resonator, 2.5 piping cat back/ Mishimoto Radiator w/ OBX-R Red Hose kit/ Remanufatured QR25DE Swap from Nissan Dealer at 241990 miles/ RL FSTB Black/ Eibach Sportlines/ KYB Shocks-Struts/ 18" 04 Maxima Rims Nexen CP662 225/45/18/ Pioneer Deck DEH-200MP/ 6x9 Kicker/ Rockfords Fosgate Prime R500-1/ 10'' Kicker Comp & Alpine Type R Sealed/ 6000k Lows (Halogens during fog)/TRS Blazer Projector Fogs Halogen

Last edited by BT; 01-20-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added pics
The Following User Says Thank You to eag0825 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 AM

I changed my PCV valve as well at 140K on a 2.5L 2005 Altima.

Since I had a leaky valve cover gasket, I decided to remove the valve cover to change both the gasket and the valve. Let me tell you, I am glad I changed the valve with the cover off. I had to use both hands to remove the valve from the harden rubber hose.

Tip: Be careful removing the hose from the PCV valve or you can damage the brittle hose.

Just another option for anyone looking to replace their PCV valve.

Last edited by bob1234; 01-19-2012 at 03:07 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 AM

For what reason should you replace the valve? I don't even know what it is.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1234 View Post
I changed my PCV valve as well at 140K on a 2.5L 2005 Altima.

Since I had a leaky valve cover gasket, I decided to remove the valve cover to change both the gasket and the valve. Let me tell you, I am glad I changed the valve with the cover off. I had to use both hands to remove the valve from the harden rubber hose.

Tip: Be careful removing the hose from the PCV valve or you can damage the brittle hose.

Just another option for anyone looking to replace their PCV valve.
+1 I kinda broke about 1/4 inch of the end of the brittle pipe which attached to the valve while taking it off but with the metal ring holding the pipe onto the valve should provide enough pressure to keep it sealed. I hope here is the link to what the pcv valve does What Are the Functions of a Pcv Valve? | eHow.com After you read the article for causes of a bad pcv valve i changed it because my car began to have rough idles as it states and my car was using alot of oil (1qt every 1000 miles) when i took the pcv valve it had lots of oil in it and rattled like the article states.

02 2.5/ NISMO CAI, Ebay Header, Magnaflow Muffler/ No resonator, 2.5 piping cat back/ Mishimoto Radiator w/ OBX-R Red Hose kit/ Remanufatured QR25DE Swap from Nissan Dealer at 241990 miles/ RL FSTB Black/ Eibach Sportlines/ KYB Shocks-Struts/ 18" 04 Maxima Rims Nexen CP662 225/45/18/ Pioneer Deck DEH-200MP/ 6x9 Kicker/ Rockfords Fosgate Prime R500-1/ 10'' Kicker Comp & Alpine Type R Sealed/ 6000k Lows (Halogens during fog)/TRS Blazer Projector Fogs Halogen

Last edited by eag0825; 01-20-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added info
post #5 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eag0825 View Post
i changed it because my car began to have rough idles as it states and my car was using alot of oil (1qt every 1000 miles) when i took the pcv valve it had lots of oil in it and rattled like the article states.
I changed it for the same reason, mine rattled so supposedly it is "bad" hopefully it helps. We shall see I guess.

Thanks for this guide, made it pretty easy. Was not difficult at all to replace the valve after I bought a 23mm wrench. Would be a pita without it though.

Last edited by jwolf24601; 09-24-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: fingers did not carry out will of brain
The Following User Says Thank You to jwolf24601 For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 8 Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM
IT Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ey3CoNz2 View Post
For what reason should you replace the valve? I don't even know what it is.
They get stuck in the 'open' position and the engine becomes an oil-o-holic.

post #7 of 8 Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i thought if it rattles its good. if it doesnt then its bad

"Sorry Gramps, My Altima's Nicer Than Yours"

"I would like to apologize in advance for being brutally honest!"

MODS:

- Cargo Net retrofitted in the trunk
- 10w HID Converted Dome Lamp
- 8w HID Converted Door Lamps
- Removed OEM FogLight Covers
- Relocated "Special Edition" badge
- Custom Floor Mats with visible "Special Edition" Logo
post #8 of 8 Old 09-26-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywat? View Post
i thought if it rattles its good. if it doesnt then its bad
I have read it both ways, I thought my new one rattled too but after I read the PCV explanation linked above I doubted myself.

At any rate changing spark plugs and PCV seems to have smoothed out my idle. Spark plugs looked ok for having 105k miles on them, so I like to believe the PCV made the difference
The Following User Says Thank You to jwolf24601 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode