2002 Altima 2.5L cranks, but won't fire. - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 Altima 2.5L cranks, but won't fire.

As the subject says.

The engine turns over just fine, but it doesn't fire at all. She says it had been idling rough and wanting to die the last couple of days. She tried jumping it last night to no effect. (It has plenty of battery power.) We pulled all four plugs and seemed to be getting good spark on all, though they were all dry. We tried spraying starter fluid in the manifold, but still not even a cough. Car doesn't throw a CEL or any security lights. We can hear the fuel pump prime when we turn the key to the Run position. Air filter is clean.

Since we seem to have spark and air, but got no results with the starter fluid, I'm starting to think the issue must be downstream of the intake manifold. Could something be causing the injectors to not fire? Tomorrow afternoon I was going to pull the fuel line from the rail to see if fuel was making it that far, but I suspect it is. Anything else I should be checking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
faber est quisque fortuna

That happened to me. But my SES light was on. It was my camshaft sensor and my crankshaft sensor. Not too sure if it applies to you but it sounds similar
post #3 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm pretty sure we didn't get any warning lights, but I'll double check.

I'd read about a recall on the sensors, but my understanding was that if they were out of whack, we wouldn't be getting spark. Is this not the case? Would bad sensors prevent fuel flowing in to the cylinders? Since the plugs were dry and even the starter fluid seemed to have no effect, I'm really thinking this has something to do with air/fuel mixture, but I guess that could be the sensors, come to think of it. I'm not really clear on what actually makes the injectors fire.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Have you ever had problems starting before? Specifically if the car sat for a while?
post #5 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 06:11 PM

I had something similar happen to my 2006 a couple of months ago. Car would crank, but not fire. Had a new battery with a good charge. Luckily, one of my co-workers had similar issues with his truck and the factory anti-theft system malfunctioning. He called his mechanic brother in law to find out how to reset it, which was just putting the key in the door and locking/unlocking it several times, and the car started right up. I think the anti-theft cuts the spark, not the fuel, but it might be worth a try, especially since it doesn't cost anything.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Not an unregistered user

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Injectors?

.: The Rupp :.

.: 2008 3.5SE :: Dark Slate :: Premium Package :: CVT :: Garmin nüvi 350 Hardwire :: 20% Tint All Around :. - Gone

.: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV :: Pearl White :: Premium Package :.

LED: LED Thread :: Footwells & Cupholder :.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halbbd01 View Post
Have you ever had problems starting before? Specifically if the car sat for a while?
Not that I'm aware of, but she's only been driving it about a month. When she bought it, it had some emissions issues, which were fixed at the dealer's expense by a third party. (Evap and O2, if I recall correctly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugefire View Post
I think the anti-theft cuts the spark, not the fuel, but it might be worth a try, especially since it doesn't cost anything.
I didn't notice any lights indicating it might be a security issue, but I'll double check this afternoon. I too thought the security system cut spark (or the starter itself) rather than fuel though.

Now that you mention it though, it's probably worth noting the car had a remote starter installed at some point, but I'm unaware of any issues with the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRupp View Post
Injectors?
That was my thought as well, but I'm not really sure what controls the injectors, or how to troubleshoot them. If I pull a plug, I should see fuel spraying in to the cylinder when I crank the engine, right? I had a buddy checking it yesterday, and he said he didn't see any, but he seemed to think that was normal, and that we wouldn't be able to see the fuel.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The reason I asked if that a common problem people have is the cold soak issue where the car starts great if you're doing a lot of short trips, etc., but when it sits overnight or for a day or two it won't start. If that's the issue you're having it's the fuel pump strainer and can be fixed by running a bottle of chevron techron through the system. The 2.5L engines don't have a fuel filter, they have a strainer that is part of the fuel pump assembly and it clogs up. If you're having this problem pumping the gas pedal will usually get it started. If pressing the gas pedal doesn't help, you probably don't have this issue.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, I've got a (lack of) progress report.

It seemed like it was trying to fire a little today, but barely at all. I didn't notice this yesterday, but my buddy said he'd noticed it. It also turns out that it did throw a code, so I borrowed a scanner from AutoZone and got P0302: Cylinder 2 Misfire. We reset the code and tried starting it again, but nothing. We weren't able to get the code to trip again.

Pumping the gas didn't help.

We pulled the fuel line from the firewall and got a good spray in to the engine compartment, so it seems like we have good pressure going in to the rail.

I began to suspect the fuel wasn't making it in to the cylinders, and blamed a broken timing chain. Since the chain itself is pretty inaccessible, we pulled the valve cover and verified the cams were turning.

Following a long shot from another thread, we decided to check the PCV valve. When trying to pull the hose off of it, it broke apart and the spring popped out. I'll be picking up a new one tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic.

The only thing we haven't really checked is the injectors, but I'm still not sure how to check them, or what might cause all of them to fail at more or less the same time.

Thoughts?
post #10 of 14 Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
New PCV valve and battery had no effect.

I was trying to test the crank position sensor, but I can't get it to come out. I removed the connector and retaining screw, but I can only get the sensor itself to twist in the crankcase. It seems like it should just pop out, so I don't know if there's a trick or what. Also, I threw the scanner back on with the sensor unplugged, and I got no code. Shouldn't I get an error, or do they not generate if the engine won't start?
post #11 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 05:12 PM

that CPS is a POS to get, u can take a short flat blade and gently pry it out a little then wiggle the rest with your fingers. that o-ring is keeping if from coming out all the way. did you check your grounding wires? maybe the motor isn't firing cuz its not grounded 100%. thats just a thought.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Yankee. It turned out to be the crank position sensor. We replaced it and it started right up.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM

nice glad to see u got it fixed. thats a bad place for a stupid little sensor to be put.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 AM
faber est quisque fortuna

yayyyy another day another sensor, glad ya got it fixed

ride on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode