Rough idle upon start up - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rough idle upon start up

Recently, the Altima developed a rough idle just after it has started. Even if the engine is warm, the car still fells like it is going to stall. I also notice the engine does not increase to roughly1,500 rpm when the engine is starting like it used to.

A little background: 2005 2.5L automatic with 155K miles on it. I had the camshaft and crankshaft sensors changed at around 100K when I noticed the car didn't initial start and the engine light came on. Also had the precat changed at around 130k with a Nissan OEM precat and a new oxygen sensor.

The Altima does not feel any different once the car is moving, just feels different upon start up and right after.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 AM
There's a brake pedal?!

Have you done any other work to the car recently?
#3 Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 AM

(Thread Starter)
Just changed the oil a few days ago with Royal purple 5w-30 and a RP oil filter. I did change the valve cover and gasket around a year ago if that makes any difference.

I also have bad motor mounts that I plan on changing towards the end of the summer, but I don't think they have any effect on this current problem.

Forgot to mention that there is no engine light.
#4 Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
The engine light finally came on;cylinder 3 misfire. I am thinking it is either the ignition coil or the head gasket. Since the rough idle only happens just after start up, I am thinking its the head gasket.

Any other opinions will be appreciated.
#5 Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Pull the plugs and inspect them for wetness. May have a leaking HG. Our Sentra did the same thing awhile ago...I had to replace the HG...also sent the head off to a local machinist for decking and milling. No issues after this. However could be as simple as a bad spark plug or a coil that needs to be replaced. Take the #3 coil and put it on maybe the #2 plug, and see if you get a misfire on the #2 cylinder. If you do, then you know its most likely the coil, if not the issue remains with cylinder #3....pointing back to the HG.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#6 Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 AM

(Thread Starter)
After reading several threads, including this one:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...-2-5-4cyl.html

I now believe its my head gasket. Will be calling two local dealerships tomorrow in order to get some price quotes.
#7 Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
Two Nissan dealers quoted me around $1,500 which includes several gaskets, oil, and coolant change.

I will be calling a local independent shop Monday to get another quote.

What is the likely hood that the head's surface is in good condition? So far, the car has never over heated.

Last edited by bob1234; 07-08-2012 at 12:52 AM.
#8 Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 PM

(Thread Starter)
The local independent shop was not able to diagnose the Altima today. After two hours at the Nissan dealer, the car needs a new engine costing $5300 plus tax.

They said the car has overheated and with this many miles they cannot guarantee their work. If they do replace the head gasket, supposedly they would have to mill the head causing an increase in compression. The increase in pressure could cause other problems in the future.

Even though I have never experienced the car overheating, would this "over heating" cause the gasket to fail or vice versa?
#9 Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 PM
IT Consultant

I didn't know that just.. happened. "overheating"

#10 Old 07-09-2012, 10:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
I still don't understand why they have to mill the head down. It was my understanding that during a head gasket replacement, the mechanic would inspect the head and decide whether or not to mill the head or not.

1). How can they determine that the head has to be milled if they have not taken the head off the engine?

2). How did they determine the car has over heated?

I guess it is what it is. I either sell the car for 2k, buy a new car, or spend close to 5k on a new engine with a 12k mile warranty.
Decisions, decisions.
#11 Old 07-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Decking and milling isnt always necessary. It is only necessary when the car has severely over heated causing warpage of the head that would make it impossible to seal up with just a new gasket. Most of the time, the head is sent off to a machinist whom does the milling. Sucks you cant do this yourself because the most difficult part would be removing the head, and taking it to a machinist. Parts would run you under $120.00 because you would just need a head gasket set, which includes new valve seals. 2K is alot for lack of knowledge, I know. Its why I self taught myself alot of what I know. Sorry to hear about your situation, I really am.

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode