2006 altima still hard starting - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 altima still hard starting

I recently replaced my crankshaft position sensor at a local garage. The car started okay with no ses light. Later on, when I started my car, it cranked longer but started okay, and no ses light came on. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Been having the same problem as well. Already replaced the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor and spark plugs. (The check engine lite has not come on.)
My problem is intermittent. Sometimes when the engine temperature is between warm and cold, it will crank over longer before it starts.
I just may have to take the car to a dealer so that they can scan it with their super-duper scanner.

Stock '06 Altima S w/comfort package.
#3 Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM

Possible fuel pump issue. I've had that problem as long as I've had the car, so has a buddy of mine.
What I do is, I put the key in the key slot and turn it two clicks to "on". I leave it in "on" for 2-4 seconds, let the fuel pump prime and in the meantime I click in my seat belt and empty my pockets, it's pretty much routine at this point. Then I turn the key all the way to start, 99% of the time the car starts immediately.
Also there was a recall for the cam and crank sensors, I know the ECU gets reflashed. Make sure you guys had that done too.

#4 Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
I replaced the plugs last year as well. I have a K&N filter which also may be causing the hard crank. The oil will screw up the maf (mass air flow) sensor ( between the filter and throttle) and possibly cause the long start. It is easily cleaned with some CRC maf sensor cleaner. I'm going to do that and will let you know if it works.
#5 Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
I have been doing that for six months, and it always worked up till recently. That's when I had the crank sensor replaced. My replacement sensor was different than the old one, so that may be the issue also. That recall was taken care of by my son-in-law when he first owned the car (I bought it from him in 2009). He was told that a previous recall reset the ECM and that covered his recall, nothing else had to be done. Anyway, I as told the other gentleman, I will be cleaning the maf sensor to see if that is the problem. Thanks for responding.
#6 Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 AM

Cam and crank sensors either work or they dont usually.Replacing them without codes or shutting off durning driving really is wasting money.Unless they are found to seap oil into connectors thats is.Sensors should have been checked.Have found that sensors other then nissan oem do have different readings but still work.Longer turnover times that gets worse over time usually point to failing fuel pumps/faulty injectors&plugs.Now if its dependent on weather/hot&cold starts then that's more programing and ecu related.Only way to view cam/crank sensors while starting/operating is with scopes/high dollar scanner tools.Maybe would check fuel psi during starttup and while running can rule out failing pump.I dont understand the recall for cam/crank because peoples cars would shut off set a crank/cam code and dealers would charge them to replace and do recall ecu reprogramming.But the whole point of the ECU reprogram is to increase the value settings set for the sensors because they were to narrow.What should have been done is ecu reprogram then if sensor code set replace it.A lot of people have gotten take on this recall forced to pay up to 400 because cam/crank code set, dealer told them they had to fix that before programming but the ECU programming was whole reason code was set for out of range values.
#7 Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ey3CoNz2 View Post
Possible fuel pump issue. I've had that problem as long as I've had the car, so has a buddy of mine.
What I do is, I put the key in the key slot and turn it two clicks to "on". I leave it in "on" for 2-4 seconds, let the fuel pump prime and in the meantime I click in my seat belt and empty my pockets, it's pretty much routine at this point. Then I turn the key all the way to start, 99% of the time the car starts immediately.
Also there was a recall for the cam and crank sensors, I know the ECU gets reflashed. Make sure you guys had that done too.
When I purchased the Altima from a generic dealer over two years ago, it was taken to a nearby Nissan dealer and the ECU was reflashed. (Don't recall why though.)
Have tried to remember to wait the few seconds after the key is in the "on" position before starting but I need a note painted on the inside of the windshield to remind me, lol.

Stock '06 Altima S w/comfort package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode