• 1 Post By skeeballcore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-28-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pre-cat or header options? - code 0420

I doubt thereís any correlation between the two, but I changed the oil in my 04 Altima 2.5 on Sunday, then yesterday, the car ran fine, but I went to start it back up later that night and had a SES light on. The code I got was a P0420 and looking around, it seems that the pre-catalytic converter is having issues, so, my question is this; whatís a good option for replacing this? I want as little trouble with fitment as possible, donít care about hp gains, etc, just want it to run right for as little as I can spend and still get good quality.

I donít have to thankfully worry about emissions testing here, so if headers are a better options, thatís fine, though Iím honestly a little iffy on fooling the carís computer with a fake O2 sensor reading.

Thanks

MarkSpecV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're looking for the cheapest route, just gut the pre-cat. Since you are already getting a code, there's a good chance the pre-cat has already started to break down and will be easy to break up. I just did both of mine on my 3.5 while I was doing a motor swap. One was already broken down and I had it gutted in less than 5 minutes. The other took a couple hours as it was still pretty well in tact.

I used an air hammer with a long bit, a big metal chisel, and a big screwdriver along with my small sledge. The first one just crumbled and fell apart after a few rips with the air hammer (disgusts me to think how much of this got sucked back into the old engine!). I had to beat on the other for a while, separating the insides into 4 smaller chunks that I was able to pull out with vice grips.

If you don't want to see the check engine light, get some spark plug non-foulers from advance auto/auto zone, drill the hole on one of them out to 1/2in and screw the o2 sensor into that end, then connect both to the hole after the precat to space it out.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Happy to share some header options also!

Pm Sent!

Proudly serving the Nissan Community since 2003 !!
Many QR25DE/VQ35DE Header options & o2 Spacers, intakes and exhaust!
https://www.facebook.com/markspecv.markracerx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode