why am i suddenly having a charging issue - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
why am i suddenly having a charging issue

My 05 3.5SE has been running just fine without issue. Went to a drive in movie and only started it once for a few minutes. Movie ends, car starts up, but it sounded like a it struggled just a little but otherwise a-ok.

I notice immediately my battery and brake light were on. Figured maybe since the battery is low, this is a message was telling me an issue. Drove it home find, drove it around town okay but the lights were on. Suddenly while driving my gas pedal stopped responding then it would work again. Happened a few times when I tried to go back home. Then at somepoint it just would not work. Turn it off, barely restarts. Leave it idling 15 min at like 4k rpm to try and charge it, no dice. Now other warnings lights are coming in (abs, CEL). Turn it off, wont restart, starter goes click click click.

I had AAA test and he said the alternator looked fine (but he was a noop and had trouble with his machine, so I dont trust his judgement. Take battery to autozone and they said it was bad, they couldnt charge it at all so I got a new one.

Fires right up, but the battery and brake light are still on. Quick search here shows a failure of the charging system. I am going to autozone or wherever to have them test the alternator. But what gives, why I am having all these issues suddenly after letting it drain a little too low. Sounds like both my battery and alternator shit the bed when the charge was too low.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Alternator. Read my Alternator thread in my .sig below. Congrats on having the VQ, that triples the fun in replacing it.

Ping me if you need more help.

Nissan OEM HIDs with Morimoto bulbs/harness, RacingLine FStB & RSwB @ 200%, ETI LED Fogs,
BBK: PowerStop Powder Coated Calipers: M45 Front/Stock Rears w/StopTech slotted sport rotors
BOSE Headunit w/USB & BT (2012 update), Dunlop Signature HP (summer) / Blizzak WS80 (winter)

Altima FSMs & Useful posts: Bose Upgrade / Alternator / Bad Ground / Rear Brakes / TPMS Reset /
/ Spurious ABS / Audio Power / ABS Diag / Steering Lock / Lower VQ rad hose / VQ Belt Squeak
post #3 of 3 Old 06-20-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well I took it to O'Reillys to have it tested and they failed the alternator. My new battery was already at 60%. Called my neighbor who has hookups and a garage a mile from my house would do it under the table for $85 if I provide the part.

Went to carquest and got a reman for 174 and dropped it off. Picked it up and its good to go! I dont know if they charged my battery. So I might take it back to autozone this weekend to check it out.

All in all I think I got a good deal. Pretty sure my normal mechanic would have charged double that in labor. I would have done it myself by my project car is in the garage and I cant have two none-op cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode