rev limiter - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rev limiter

what exactly happens when you hit the rev limiter, and is it terribly bad for your car if you do. now, i'm not going to make topping out an everyday occurence by any means, but i'd like to practice shifting as close to redline as possible. if hitting the rev limiter is bad for the car i'll just practice a few hundred rpms lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 03:18 AM
From D Land of Tendulkar

man sorry to say but what kind of question is that. ofcourse red linning is bad.

2.5s

FIRST THERE IS TENDULKAR.THEN THERE IS DAYLIGHT AND THEN THERE IS THE REST.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:32 AM

i know redlining in general is not good for the car, but i want to know what exactly the rev limiter does and how bad it is. when i say bad for the car i don't mean bad as in a "it's bad to drive around with your tires underinflated by 3 psi" i mean is it bad like "reving an automatic up to 5k in neutral and dropping it into drive".

i know my driving style in general isn't the best for the car, but then again what's best isn't very much fun either......i just don't want to do something that's ruining my car rapidly.

this is hard to explain, but hopefully somebody's followin me.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Shift_lefty

Rev limiter should cut off the injection and spark preventing the engine from continuing further. Is it good to hit? No. Is it bad, you don't want to do it often. A quick burst to the redline is better than a sustained red line run as there's more stress on the engine when you run sustained red line runs.

Former owner of 02 3.5 SE 5-spd AKA Fred Flintstone mobile
Old 01-23-2003, 12:08 PM

The rev limiter is an attempt to not hurt the engine.
Nothing has changed since before when they had no rev limiters on cars. The valve springs will still break and the engine will not run very well. So whether you want to push it and see how fast you can break your valve springs is up to you. Just remember that my engine is in my car so by you seeing how fast the engine will spin will not hurt mine. So let us know if anything bad happens to your engine.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:09 PM

I've done it several times by accident, not intending to do so, but it revs up to 7k then as it hits 7.5k you'll hear the motor go "wha wha wha wha" is the best way to describe the sound of the motor at high rev cutting out to stop you from blowing it up. It's happened probably 3 times to me, and no adverse effects have happened to the motor, no new noises or problems, no check engine light or anything. It actually works pretty good, I have the auto trans and it saves you if you have it in 2nd and not realize it till it cuts out. I was actually suprised that the motor would rev to 7.5k, I thought it would of cut out at the redline of 6.5k Practice your shifting up to 6.5k it won't hurt the motor, the 2.5 might be a little noisy at idle, but it's a tough som bitch
Old 01-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Bad Boys are Back!!!

Thumbs down

Well, if you don't get in the habit of doin it too often its ok, it is definetly bad for the engine in sense that it burns up the engine oil faster as well as the gas and also the spark plugs. Generally if you hit that level while driving.................Good Luck not getting caught.........hehehehehe !!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:02 PM

thanks....

i do actually care about my engine and i don't think i've ever broken 6200 or so, but i know the limiter is there to prevent damage, i just don't know how good of a job it does.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:59 AM

Gas cuts off...

When I test drove an '02 Maxima, I was shocked when the car basically stopped going when I hit redline. It felt like the gas cut off, and the car wouldn't go anymore. I did it a couple of times on my Altima, but it just takes practice not to hit limiter when driving hard.

2003 Super Black and charcoal SE w/ 5 speed
Bling: 19" ADR Sterlings w/245/35/19 Falkens, AT Sport Grizzil,
Eibach Prokit
Go FAst: HotShot Headers, Injen CAI, glass pack for resonator
Old 01-24-2003, 01:03 PM

The limiter on the altima is 115, but i've gotten up to 125..I wouldn't suggest doing that more than once or twice though, because you'll really screw up your engine after that.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:04 PM

^^ Thats the speed limiter, not the rev limiter. Speed limiter limits top end, rev limiter limits how many RPM's you can get out of any gear (or neutral).

I'd say there is nothing wrong with bumping up against the rev limiter...thats why its there, to inform the driver when he (or she) is at the point where powertrain damage would normally beome an issue...based on this information an experienced driver will be able to adjust their shifting techniques to maximize the usage of the full rev band while accelerating.

Haikus Are Easy
But Sometimes They Don't Make Sense
Refrigerator
Old 01-24-2003, 02:26 PM

3000 rpm is easier on the engine than 6650rpm.
Yes, there is a rev limiter designed to keep you out of the real danger zone.
When a car company claims torque at 4400rpm and hp at 5800rpm, the engine should be able to spend some time around the upper 5800rpm.
Aren't you glad you're driving a Nissan with 5yr/60000mile powertrain warranty as opposed to a New Honda Accord with a 3yr/36000mile powertrain warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode