The Nissan Club banner

White Smoke

44K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  tdoyle 
#1 ·
I was just wondering is it normal if there's like alot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust even though you've been driving constantly for like hour? Anh everytime i hit the gas peddle to pass someone, it look like there extra smoke coming out. Thanks...

#4 ·
white smoke = condensation.... hot air passing over a cold surface... evaporates fast.

thick white smoke with a sweet tasting smell = antifreeze burning. Huge difference... This smoke wont dissapate fast. It will linger around like fog for quite a while.

#5 ·
Like bruncek said, heavy white smoke is usually antifreeze burning, and is most often the result of a blown head gasket. But you would be overheating if that were the case, so I wouldn't think that was it.

#7 ·
I was thinking about broken head gasket too. But if that really the case, aren't i suppose to be filling coolent like drinking water? Cause for the pass 9 month, the coolent tank is still full... So should i not worry about it cause the weather is to cold or should i bring it to the dealer???

#8 ·
Yes, you would be adding coolant and/or overheating. Another sign would be milky oil.

#9 ·
UpTech2K2 said:
I was thinking about broken head gasket too. But if that really the case, aren't i suppose to be filling coolent like drinking water? Cause for the pass 9 month, the coolent tank is still full... So should i not worry about it cause the weather is to cold or should i bring it to the dealer???
I live in CA and if I was driving my car for over an hour and white dense smoke still comes out, I would worry about it. So your saying your coolant is not an issue then maybe it's the weather and the condensation that's causing that effect.

#12 · (Edited)
Here was how it was explained to me! The OEM exhaust has a bypass flap so when you hit the gas the bypass opens up allowing exhaust to pass more freely. What happens is that the water gets trapped there so when you hit the gas the bypass opens dumping condensation out over the hot part of the muffler, hence the condensation out the tail pipes. Mine does it all the time now that it's cold. Once the car is warm it should only do that when you accelerate. I like tapping the gas on the highway and see it puff the pipes!

Another way to see it is entering a highway when the engine has just made it to operating temp. Bring the car up to 40 then accelerate in 3rd gear slowly. As you bring the rpms up slowly usually the right pipe opens first. Tap it a little harder you'll see the left pipe open too and blow condensation out.

#14 ·
Umm isnt that normal ? My car and all the other cars on the road that I have EVER seen has white smoke coming out of it in the winter time when they accelerate. I believe thats normal, when its cold outside dosnt white air/smoke come out of your mouth, Are you broken, is your head gasket broke ? I think its just heat .

#17 ·
If the car is plenty warm you should get it checked. If its cold its just condensation and you're ok.

I've never seen a car in the winter time that poured out enough white smoke (that was the normal kind of white smoke due to cold) for me to see it in my rear view mirror.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.