Car Stalls Out in Reverse What Gives - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-03-2003, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Car Stalls Out in Reverse What Gives (Solution Found!!)

This problem started about a couple of days ago. When you put the car in reverse and move backwards and stop and put the car in drive the car stalls like it's out of gas. When it does stall I just put the car in neutral or park and it starts right up and runs great. If you just put it in reverse and not move and place it back into drive then no problem. Itís only when you move backwards and go back into drive will the car stall. If you put it in reverse and hop on it you can make it stall also. When the car stalls it feels like itís starving for fuel like the fuel pump shut down. Once you restart itís OK. Car is scheduled to see Nissan dealerís service department on Friday. Any one else have this problem? Could there be a blockage in the fuel lines or gas tank??

Brian

Last edited by bmvalk; 04-04-2003 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2003, 08:03 PM

actually i just had that problem the other day !! .. i thoguht i was going crazy cause i had my music loud and i didnt hear the engine shut i just realized right away because all the lights lit up on the dash ... i was going backwards and barely tapped the break .. through it in drive and boom! car stopped in its tracks .. while i was in D .. engine killed .. i was like wtf ... i shifted to park and it turned over like twice then started up again ... lemme know what nissan says to you ..
weird sht ..

The Ride:
http://www.nissantalk.com/registry/vehicles.php?vehicleid=1152

Fight Me.
#3 Old 03-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Sarcastic Member

I had that problem last friday, except I was sitting at a light and when I went to pull off, I stalled on the clutch then tried to restart and all I heard was this funny electronic noise. Everytime I turned the key it sounded like a computer turning off and on. Then it made a half start noise about 4 times, then finally it turned over after almost 30 seconds So there I was in teh middle of Park and 65th stalled out in a brand new car ? I felt so pissed and embarrased ! Ahhh, just had to vent a little, it hasnt happen since then.

03 SE 5sp*traded
05 SER 6sp
93 Camry LE-312k miles and still going as of 11/13 Oww!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/285101/1
#4 Old 03-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Proud '02 owner

Gremlins

02 3.5SE with a bunch of mods

Link to My Ride

vb garage
#5 Old 03-05-2003, 01:38 AM
cvl
CVLTIMA

I had the same problem. If you jump right into reverse and hit the gas it stalls.
I think we have alot of first year production bugs in our cars. I doubt Nissan will issue any kind of recall to fix so many problems as it would probably break their bank
#6 Old 03-05-2003, 02:29 AM

FAQ YOU
check the tsb.. maybe its this one?
http://www.altimas.net/tsb/
#7 Old 03-05-2003, 04:06 AM
Banned

hopefully my 03 doesnt have that problem.
#8 Old 04-04-2003, 03:48 AM

(Thread Starter)
Talking Back From Service With Solution

Well guys this goes under the guise of sometimes were our own worse enemy. Finally had a chance to take her in with the above mentioned reverse stalling problem. While it took longer to explain to the service manager what the problem was then it took him to fix it, I could not believe what the problem was. It appears that the installation of my Injen CAI was the cause of this one. The wire harness that plugs into the Mass Air Flow device had a wire that was shorting out against the CAI tube. When ever the car was place in reverse the engine would shift in it's mounts ( a normal thing) and cause the wire on the harness to short out causing the CAM system computer to shut down the fuel pump with cause the engine to stall. Can you believe that? The tech simply ran a new wire to replace the shorted one and that was that. Oh by the way since the CAI was really the reason for this little problem it wasnít covered under warranty. Total cost of this to me was one hour of labor $80.00. You know what itís worse it and dame glad at lease they were able to find out what the problem was first time and quickly too. Tech told me their diagnostic computer found the problem right away. Problem solved and running great.

Brian

Last edited by bmvalk; 04-04-2003 at 03:52 AM.
#9 Old 04-04-2003, 12:12 PM
werd!

Quote:
Originally posted by Altima2.5S03
hopefully my 03 doesnt have that problem.
A lot of 03 owners say the same thing.
#10 Old 04-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Bad Boys are Back!!!

Angry

Problems just keep coming...............What NEXT ?????????
#11 Old 04-04-2003, 02:10 PM

This happened to me a few weeks ago in my 2.5S ATX, only mine wouldn't run if it was in drive, but reverse worked great so I ran backwards for a bit to get out of the area I was in and then it cleared up. Took it to the dealer that day and insisted they look at it immediately. They wanted me to wait a few days before I brought it in, but I didn't want to chance getting stranded in 10 degree weather with a 4 month old infant so I insisted they get me a loaner car and they keep the Altima for the weekend since I judged it unsafe to drive. I had it back in 3 hours with all new coils, camshaft position sensor (or was it crank...I forget) and a new set of rear shocks to boot.

Hasn't had a repeat performance, thought I still don't trust it 100%.

Haikus Are Easy
But Sometimes They Don't Make Sense
Refrigerator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode