Fusible Link Blew - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fusible Link Blew

I know my signature shows an Altima but my wife has a 2007 Maxima SL with ~94k miles on it. We bought it with around 38k miles on and we have had quite a few issues with this thing. First was the AC compressor replacement, timing chain guide replacement (youtube VQ timing chain whine), CVT seal leak (replaced under 120k mile warranty), alternator died (twice, we bought a Autozone rebuilt for $179 vs. the $400 OEM), and now what this thread is for...the fusible link.

My wife was leaving work, the car started with no problems, drove with no problems until about 5 miles from work she said the car just died and she had to drift it to the side of the road. She described it as if somebody had just pulled the plug on the car. Nothing worked. No lights (exterior or interior), she couldn't even put it back into Park, locks, windows, everything dead. Only thing that was blinking was the security LED on the dash and she put on the emergency flashers that worked on the dash, but no lights were on outside the car (must be a backup battery or something). This is about 4 weeks after the last alternator replacement. We towed it to the shop. They were diagnosing it, I started looking at the wiring schematic and noticed the 120A, 80A, 60A fuses right after the battery and figured that had to be the problem with the car. Talking to a coworker he thought it was the same thing but also questioned why it would pop the fuse.

That bunch of fuses described above are part of a ~$35 assembly called the Fusible Link. The 120A fuse popped on ours and caused the entire car to shut down. The garage called and confirmed that it was the fusible link and also found what caused it to pop. One of the wires from the alternator to the battery had vibrated and chafed the casing, it contacted metal. This short caused the fuse to pop. They replaced the link, and rerouted and rewrapped the alternator wire. The care is driving with no problems.

I searched on here and other sites for some idea on what the issue was, but found nothing. Figured I would share my experience for somebody else that may encounter this.

07 Altima 3.5SE CVT--Black w/ Charcoal Leather--35% Tint, Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

Previous:
92 Sentra 2dr--Black w/ Gray Int--238k miles

DMV Area Roll Call
Come rep DC, MD, and VA!!!

Last edited by jdublup; 11-26-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
In short...

2007 Maxima SL...
Car died on side of road...
No power at all...
Fusible link blown...
Cause, alternator wire contacting metal bracket...
$35 part at the dealership...
Car fixed...wife happy...saved money on buying a new Maxima for myself.

07 Altima 3.5SE CVT--Black w/ Charcoal Leather--35% Tint, Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

Previous:

DMV Area Roll Call
#3 Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
That same thing happened on an Altima i worked on earlier this year. that 120amp fuse blew out. Luckily I figured it out and went and got one from the dealer so the owner could drive home

PM me for Overlay or Projector Retrofits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZAMAN View Post

People who defend CVT are like people with ugly kids - they have no choice but to love them.
#4 Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
is it possible to shield that alt wire or secure it from bouncing up against metal again??

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
#5 Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
I don't know. Haven't checked it out. I trust they fixed it though. I will be pissed if this happens again while we have the car.

Previous:

DMV Area Roll Call
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN MAXIMA FORUMS > 2004-2008 Nissan Maxima Gen. 6 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode