Automatic Transmission Fluid Change? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Question Automatic Transmission Fluid Change?

What's up! I just bought a 05 Smoke SE-R with 54k on it. I paid $13,700 back in middle Nov. Felt pretty confident I got a good deal on it, but since it's used, I am not sure of some of the maintenance. I am about to change the oil to a full synthetic. Might try this Royal Purple stuff that I have been reading on the forums.

I guess the most important question relates to the transmission. Since the car has 54k on it, I am willing to bet the transmission has never been serviced. Anyone have any idea when to get this serviced? Is it better to get it drained and refilled or flushed? I've heard nightmares of people getting their tranny flushed and then shavings/debris cause problems, I think this is for higher mileage cars.

Someone help me out! Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
The VripMaster

jsut have them check the fluids, my 05 A/t ser 5spd have the K line of nissan fluid in it, and it's good to at least 96000km
Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDXX View Post
jsut have them check the fluids, my 05 A/t ser 5spd have the K line of nissan fluid in it, and it's good to at least 96000km
So I am good for about another 6k. I will probably take it in to the dealer for a 60k mile service. Have them check everything out before the powertrain warranty runs out.

Anyone else have any opinions?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:33 PM

If you're taking it to Nissan, just do what they suggest. I personally drain and fill myself. Oh, and even though its pretty pricey I would def get the Royal Purple for your next oil change.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Brown Guy Black SE-R

When I had mine, I checked the fluid every 5000 miles or so....at the slightest dark tint i would change it...but i had a buddy that worked at nissan so i was gettin matic-k fluid for $5.25 a qt...and you're gonna need about 5-6 qts...nissan tried to sell me the bottles for $15 a qt...**** that...but lets just say my tranny was fresh all the time...54k is a little much...i would get that serviced ASAP because most likely the guy before you beat on it

2006 Altima SE-R 5AT Super Black (peaced out)
2008 VW Rabbit 6AT Candy White (NO MODS EVER! 36mpg)

Old 01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Brown Guy Black SE-R

Thumbs up

oh and in terms of oil...mobil 1 extended performance (good for 15k miles but i still changed it every 3k) was the shit in my se-r...never burned oil...always stayed healthy
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 AM

I used the royal purple with Nissan filters doesn't burn any with 63k on her. I suggest just a drain and Fill with Amsoil Synthetic ATF. Do it 3 times to get a good mixture of new vs. old. Then change it every 20k or so just drop it once. It holds about 3.5 qts each time.

-Eibach Pro-kits
-Unorthodox SC pulley
-Stillen Intake(BLK)
-Stillen Exhaust
-2 Degree Advance
-Xenon 6000k Lows/Fogs
-Silverstar High
-Hawk Pads
-Eagle F1 GS-D3's
Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Shift_matic

I highly recommend Amsoil too. I had a flush done at about 57k at the dealer ($75), just as maintanence. Tranny shifts nice and smooth.

Mods:JWT Popcharger, NWP VIAS & Spacers, 2º Timing Advance, Hawk HPS, over drilled RotorPros rotors,Techna-fit SS Lines, S5 clone grill< LED swapped gauges, CF interior trim, DDE's, footwell lights, 3K HID fogs THREAD HERE > Nitto Invo 245/40/18
Fluids: Amsoil ATF, Amsoil DOT3, Dist. H20+RL Water Wetter,Rotella T6 5w40, 93 Octane
Dyno231WHP/225WTQ <-youtube
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 AM
2010 2.5s Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs3232 View Post
What's up! I just bought a 05 Smoke SE-R with 54k on it. I paid $13,700 back in middle Nov. Felt pretty confident I got a good deal on it, but since it's used, I am not sure of some of the maintenance. I am about to change the oil to a full synthetic. Might try this Royal Purple stuff that I have been reading on the forums.

I guess the most important question relates to the transmission. Since the car has 54k on it, I am willing to bet the transmission has never been serviced. Anyone have any idea when to get this serviced? Is it better to get it drained and refilled or flushed? I've heard nightmares of people getting their tranny flushed and then shavings/debris cause problems, I think this is for higher mileage cars.

welcome to the forum .

best bang for the buck motor oil in my opinion is pennzoil platinum , mobil1 extended life is also very good , amsoil is the best , but motor oil is your choice .

get your tranny oil flushed at nissan . only use nissan's tranny fluid !!!

http://jimsautoeverything.blogspot.com/

Last edited by jimnolimit; 01-30-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnolimit View Post
get your tranny oil flushed at nissan . if you put any other tranny oil besides
nissan , you will have problems
Enlighten us.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 AM
search you n00b!!!

did i hear Amsoil???
Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 AM
search you n00b!!!

Quote:
welcome to the forum .

best bang for the buck motor oil in my opinion is pennzoil platinum , mobil1 extended life is also very good , amsoil is the best , but motor oil is your choice .

get your tranny oil flushed at nissan . only use nissan's tranny fluid !!!

EXPLAIN....
Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 AM
2010 2.5s Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked05SER View Post
Enlighten us.

using any ATF besides nissan k-matic for the 5-speed auto is asking for trouble .

using non OEM nissan tranny fluid might cause the tranny to slip and/or to prematurely wear out .

nissan's tranny fluid is very good , you can't really "upgrade" by using aftermarket fluids . nissan owns JATCO which is a big transmission manufacturer and supplier (not only for nissan) , they make the transmissions so the fluid is specifically designed for them .

Last edited by jimnolimit; 01-30-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:10 AM
search you n00b!!!

Quote:
using any ATF besides nissan k-matic for the 5-speed auto is asking for trouble .

using non OEM nissan tranny fluid might cause the tranny to slip and or prematurely wear out .

p.s. nissan's tranny fluid is very good , you can't "upgrade" by using aftermarket fluids . nissan owns JATCO which is a big transmission manufacturer and supplier (not only for nissan) , they make the transmissions so the fluid is specifically designed for them .
if the "other" fluid meets and exceeds OEM specs... why not use it??

and synthetic lasts longer and can take more abuse..??? am i wrong?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 AM
search you n00b!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs3232 View Post

btw... nice find... that is a good price

i bought mine used as well... i started changing out the fluids one by one.. that way i KNEW what was in there and how many miles i had to change them.. but that is just me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5) > 2005-2006 Nissan Altima SE-R Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.