The Nissan Club banner

Anyone replaced the rack and pinion?

19K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  adomzz 
#1 ·
I went to get a 4 wheel alignment for a problem with my car pulling to the left. The alignment was a little out, but the Hunter system showed the car should actually be pulling to the right. After getting everything in line, checking the tires, balancing the wheels, it still drifts to the left. It is worse after turning and isn't consistent. The shop is certain that there is an issue with the rack and pinion putting too much pressure on one side and I am planning to have them replace it. I have an extended warranty that will cover all of it. Has anyone else done this? Should they put stock parts back in or is there a better alternative to suggest?

#2 ·
if you have summer high performance tires they usually pull one way or the other due to the groves of the road grabbing the tire, or something like that. i am pretty sure alot of the guys will say there car pulls one way or the other.

#3 ·
Rotate the tires if it still pulls go to a different shop to have the allignment redone, sometimes the tires might couse the pull due to bad belt in the tire.

#4 ·
Could also be road crown. Some roads here in Texas are sloped so much, you would think that your car needed an alignment. Are there any other signs the could signal a bad rack? Any vibrations, clunking? A worn tie rod end could do it, since its allowing the tire to move when it shouldn't ( I'm battling this issue now)

#5 ·
I have been working with this shop for 10+ years and feel confident in thier work. I have had this pull for some time and mentioned it to them when I had the tires replaced last year. At that time, the tires wore perfectly, so an alignment wasn't done and I decided to see if the drift continued with the new tires. Last week, they rotated and balanced the tires, still the same thing. The tires are a year old and don't have any uneven wear. It's not extreme, but irritating. It's enough that the car will slowly change lanes if you don't hold the wheel though. Even on a 2 lane one way, I can get in the right hand lane and the car will drift against the crown. The oddist thing about it is that it isn't consistent. Sometime its worse, sometimes its almost not there. It's worse after turning left and better after turning right. Knowing this and ruling out tires, wheels, and alignment, he thinks the problem is in the rack being unbalanced. Other than the drift, there isn't any other issue or noises.

#6 ·
Wind? The Altima is not the most aerodynamic shape - even a small wind can push it around pretty good.

#7 ·
Mine tracks sometimes, dont think you need to have your rack/pinions replaced. The way your suspension is, and your tires, every thing in the road affects it. Ive had my car track against the crown and everything else sometimes left and sometimes right. Just my $0.02 but I dont think thats your problem...

#8 ·
It seems odd to me also, but everything else has been looked at. I'm not certain this will fix it. I may just have to live with it, but warranty is covering it 100%, the parts are on the way. I'll know soon enough if this solves the problem.

#20 ·
Mine pulls to the right and has done so ever since I got it in 07. How hard is it to install these tie rods and is your still driving straight after installing these?

a slight drift to the right is normal if your CASTER is not perfectly align. I have that problem too but still in the manufactured spec range. Only very special body repair shop can adjust CASTER.
Has anyone fixed the CASTER to fix the pulling problem?

#12 ·
Well my fiances car(taurus) is having similar issues after i replaced every single suspension part with new ones. Always pulling to the right. Well alignment checked out and after a week we went back today and he cant figure anything out other than he thinks the right strut mount is binding causing it to pull...So that could be same as is happening to you.

#13 ·
The new rack is in and it didn't make any difference. Not sure where to look next, they are going to try playing with the alignment and see what they can do. I have tein H springs and KYB struts and shocks, maybe its something in the suspension??

#17 ·
My 03 and my 06 both have pulled. The cure was making sure the tire pressures were all exactly on the money. I know it sounds too simple, but my 03 was the worst with the Continentals. If one tire was as little as 3 lbs. different than another, it would pull.

#21 ·
Mine was doing the same thing. The steering wheel had no resistance to the left and the car would sway to that side. Anyway, I took it to Nissan and he said it was the left ITR so he replaced it. Then the tech called me and said it was still the same and that the steering rack had some 'internal failure' and that was that. Rack was replaced under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.