Front-end axle noise - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front-end axle noise

so I was driving up in Vermont on a dirt road when i started hearing a rattling going over bumps, I figured it was the road but the noise has continued and worsening over the last week.

My first thought was a rock in the tire, or lodged behind the caliper guard or something but I couldnt find anything

I took it into the shop figuring is is the CV joint, but they said all the bushing and joints look fine. they think it is the right axle bearing, but they want to charge me like 2 hours of labor just to check it (not even sure that's the problem)

The sound is a repeating a "clunk clunk clunk" when my foot is off the gas slowing down in gear. It is louder and more evident at low speeds.

Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
sorry, its an 05 SE-r 80k miles 6sp manual
#3 Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Doesnt really sound like a bad bearing....but not sure what you or they are referring to. Axle bearing/wheel bearing/transmission bearing......??????? Never really heard of a bearing making a "clunk clunk, clunk noise while only going over a bump or something. Other suspension components come to mind however.......

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#4 Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM

(Thread Starter)
I said "the shop believes it is the right axle bearing"

I don't think it is suspensions because it is a repeating noise similar in range to the rotating wheel or axle assembly.

It gets worse at slower speeds, 20-30mph
#5 Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I was going to try to help, but its not worth my time. Good luck with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesium View Post
I said "the shop believes it is the right axle bearing"

I don't think it is suspensions because it is a repeating noise similar in range to the rotating wheel or axle assembly.

It gets worse at slower speeds, 20-30mph

Wheels/Suspension: 5Zigen 19x8 Pro Racers-Falken F452 245/35/19 Tires-Eibach Sportline Springs
Visual: S5 Grille-20% Tint-M3 Window lip Spoiler-LED Cluster/Switches-TWM Weighted Shift Knob
Performance: C-man Headers-C-man 3" Y-Pipe-Magnaflow Exhaust-PNP'd Heads w/Ferra Valves-RevUp Oil Pump-Pulley-JWT C9 Cams-Haltech Platinum ECU-Fujita5 CAI-Weisco Pistons-ARP Head Studs
Audio: Kenwood DNX-9140-ZED Leviathan-Focal Speakers-Sound Deadened-XBox-270Amp Alt
#6 Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
I didn't mean to be rude. Thank you for your time.
#7 Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 PM
2005 sheer silver ser

check your upper strut mount, mine went bad on my 05 se. just push down on front of car with hood up, and look at strut mount, you will see movement in the center if bad.

2005 super black 3.5se (totaled) 09/17/09 SER just traded in. Stayed with Nissan and went with a 2008.5 Titan LE crew cab. Will miss the alti.
2005 sheer silver ser, auto, 35% tint, ebay mesh grill, de-badged, berk v2 wai, ipod interface, brake performance drilled and slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads, G2 painted and clear coated brake calipers, winter wheels from 04 G35x with 225/55/17 winterforce snows coming soon, redline racing hood struts, 245/40/18 tires, racingline strut tower brace, would like to lower front, but live in mass and need to drive all year, (daily driver)
#8 Old 12-22-2010, 05:49 PM

(Thread Starter)
hmm. I tried pushing down, and there is slight movement on either side actually. I did hear a clunk when i pushed down on the front...

the sound got a lot worse in the last few days, and now it is causing pretty bad vibration and wobble at high speeds.

Cars going into a different shop tomorow...
#9 Old 12-28-2010, 05:21 PM

(Thread Starter)
turned out to be the left front wheel bearing. Had it replaced, problem solved. It went so fast, started as a slight knocking noise, by the end of the week if felt like the front end was falling apart. I am glad I waited the week for the noise to get worse so the problem was easier identified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5) > 2005-2006 Nissan Altima SE-R Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode