LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Dark knight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
05-06 Altima 5at Transmission valve body

Ok Ive been recently feeling 2nd-1st gear slam 2nd to 3rd delay and sometimes 1st to 2nd jerking after car is warmed up. I'am positive its the valve body as the maxima guys describe http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html

I plan on changing the valve body but i need to know 100% is our Se-r's 5speed auto's transmission the same as the maxima 6 gens? AW55-51SN / RE5F22A

as i mind as well get a performance valve body that has better flow and shifts. Most performance shops list these valve bodies for maxima's
levelten MAXIMA Valve Body FIX
RevMax http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310398305252?...84.m1423.l2649

has anyone upgraded? or even changed it with rebuild or new oem units know are these VB the same. This is a common problem i want to fix soon as possible with cooler added and new motor mounts.

05 Dark Ser

BLine Cold air
NWP 75mm TB
NWP Bop, Spacer & Ssim
RL HFPC, Ypipe,
Obx Greddy Evo2
2* timing, Utec
Ngk Iridium

BC Racing Coils

Last edited by arson519; 05-06-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Dark knight

(Thread Starter)
no one knows???? altima se-r - 04-06 maxima same transmission???

05 Dark Ser

BLine Cold air
NWP 75mm TB
NWP Bop, Spacer & Ssim
RL HFPC, Ypipe,
Obx Greddy Evo2
2* timing, Utec
Ngk Iridium

BC Racing Coils
#3 Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM

MY 2 cents for what is worth

i am pretty positive that they are the same transmission.

the maxima guys cant brag about an better 5 speed auto, there's sucks too!

i know from XP that you should change the fluid religiously in our crappy auto transmission. i hope you did.

maybe start saving for a SFR built tranny and stop wasting YOUR time with the stock transmission, sounds like ur running extra HP. at the end of the day, even if you do get the performance valve body, it will wear faster cause u run higher temps. and be careful with a cooler install, i am a believer that if you create more space for the fluid to run around in, extra stress on the converter.

sorry for not being real useful i havnt tried the upgraded valve body

Last edited by Nissan specialty tool; 05-06-2012 at 10:25 PM.
#4 Old 05-07-2012, 02:20 AM
Dark knight

(Thread Starter)
ive did a fluid drain fill and it feels alot better. Its a small problem right now because it doesnt feel bad yet it seldom right now, going to have to drive like a senior. I am going to have to try a new VB right now don't have a couple thousand dollars laying around.

all i really needed to know mainly was compatibilty of VB of altima's and maxima's thanks

05 Dark Ser

BLine Cold air
NWP 75mm TB
NWP Bop, Spacer & Ssim
RL HFPC, Ypipe,
Obx Greddy Evo2
2* timing, Utec
Ngk Iridium

BC Racing Coils
#5 Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Erect Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
how does adding a cooler create stress on the torque converter? makes absolutely no sense.

#6 Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 AM

i find that it makes sense. i feel that Nissan designed how much fluid goes in the transmission system to a tee. fluid pressure is the difference between lubrication or no lube. even if you dont believe me, or think differently thats ok. as long as i got you to consider it, i'd be happy. my thinking is that more fluid to push, is going to be harder to push.more journals and bends, harder to push. more fluid, longer warm up AND more heat soak from more fluid. your converter is a pump. if you dont believe me again, its okay.

many people love to throw mods on their car without thinking, i think it should be a well thought out process. you might be able to achieve cooler temps a different route, without modifying how much fluid is the tranny, or what direction the tranny fluid is routed.

i.e. trying amsoil fluid, a fan maybe, new grille, battery relocation, fog light removal etc. there's more than one way to skin a deer.

TO the OP, i said i am pretty sure they are the same or compatible
#7 Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Erect Member

let me ask you something - have you ever seen a transmission fail because of the addition of a cooler? im talking about installation being perfect - not failure from improper installation.

#8 Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 AM

i have seen issues with getting the fluid level bang on as it is harder to do with more fluid, its easy to get an inconsistent reading. and the rest was my limited mechanical theory. i myself considered the tranny cooler mod, but was swayed by the possibility of creating another issue with my car. its more risky than headers, cai, etc.. its your transmission. it makes your car move. if you get a wrong its not gonna be pretty. but doing less riskier things like i said before might yield similar cooling results. i am no aerodynamic engineer, but simply put if you increase airflow to your hood compartment, by removing battery, free flowing grille, removed fog lights, wrapped intake,exhaust and a/c lines it is my opinion that it will do more good than cluttering up the front end of the already cramped engine compartment.

EDIT i did some searching and found a few examples of people running the tranny coolers, so as it may not destroy your transmission instantly, or quickly, but it will add more stress, you cant deny that. its like parking with your wheels straight instead of turned to protect your ball joints.

obviously you want to do an UPGRADE right?
i feel you can do a better more cost effective upgrade than the cooler.
the ways i mentioned would also lower hood temps, even better than just tranny temps

Last edited by Nissan specialty tool; 05-07-2012 at 05:36 AM.
#9 Old 05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Erect Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan specialty tool View Post
i have seen issues with getting the fluid level bang on as it is harder to do with more fluid, its easy to get an inconsistent reading. and the rest was my limited mechanical theory.

EDIT i did some searching and found a few examples of people running the tranny coolers, so as it may not destroy your transmission instantly, or quickly, but it will add more stress, you cant deny that. its like parking with your wheels straight instead of turned to protect your ball joints.
your mechanical theory is arguing with mechanical tried and true experience. how is it adding more stress? i dont agree that it does and im not seeing it. your transmission already utilizes a cooler. by adding an additional cooler, you are further lowering transmission fluid temps which increases transmission component life. this is fact not theory. keeping that fluid temp lower also means the life of the fluid itself is increased. heat is the biggest enemy to the engine/trans in a car. keep that heat down and in turn, you WILL see lower underhood temps as well.

#10 Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
It's the llama talking

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Same transmission as the Maxima OP mentioned. And our transmissions are cooled with the coolant lines. Adding a cooler doesn't change the amount of fluid inside the transmission.

I'm also with Asleep on this one. Even if it was a cooler that used transmission fluid, it wouldn't cause any harm.

05 3.5SE AT
Lightly modded
#11 Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Dark knight

(Thread Starter)
yea are transmission are cooled with the radiator coolant, was just gonna add a cooler to the coolant line. I noticed my coolant is running hotter than before even after drain fill of new coolant. something is goin under my hood?

i have mesh grill, took out fogs lights so air goes straight to cold air intake. I have pretty good air flow.

05 Dark Ser

BLine Cold air
NWP 75mm TB
NWP Bop, Spacer & Ssim
RL HFPC, Ypipe,
Obx Greddy Evo2
2* timing, Utec
Ngk Iridium

BC Racing Coils
#12 Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Snow... what

are your fans working? How many miles are on your car? My coolant temp stayed the same when i added my trans cooler that is half the size of the radiator. Maybe its time for you to get a Mishimoto radiator, or maybe your water pump is going.

#13 Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Dark knight

(Thread Starter)
my fans are going on, i thought they werent. i dunno maybe i was being paranoid. my normal temp is 88 and when staying still goes as high as 96 ish so thats around 190-197 ish i guess thats normal?

I found a place that does valve bodies rebuilt with sonnax part just down the street just my luck its called valve body builders will be installing tommarrow will see if this fixes my shift problems that started 3 weeks ago.

05 Dark Ser

BLine Cold air
NWP 75mm TB
NWP Bop, Spacer & Ssim
RL HFPC, Ypipe,
Obx Greddy Evo2
2* timing, Utec
Ngk Iridium

BC Racing Coils
#14 Old 05-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Dark knight

(Thread Starter)
yup everything works no more slamming, erratic shift points.
paid 800 bucks plus install

05 Dark Ser

BLine Cold air
NWP 75mm TB
NWP Bop, Spacer & Ssim
RL HFPC, Ypipe,
Obx Greddy Evo2
2* timing, Utec
Ngk Iridium

BC Racing Coils
#15 Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Erect Member

expensive but it works now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5) > 2005-2006 Nissan Altima SE-R Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode