A little excitement today.
I jacked up the car so I could try to find out why the starter isn't cranking the engine.
Here is the full story.
So I crawl under, and antifreeze starts dripping on my head. This isn't unusual with a new engine as there is generally always some type of leak to be fixed.
Of course I didn't expect to see this!!!!!!!!
Well crap. I can't find my usb cable for my camera. Anyway, it was a lake of antifreeze under the lower intake manifold!!!
After pulling the whole intake I soaked up the mess. Then I found the leak.
It was a tiny drip coming from the head gasket in just one spot. Just a tiny drip. Now when I had the engine at the machine shop I had the heads checked as well as the block for being warped, but everything checked out fine. No cracks, etc.
Now I have the expensive ARP studs, L14's, holding these heads down with Nissan head gaskets that I sprayed with Permatex spray on Copper [ I do this will all steel or copper head gaskets, and its always worked].
You, and I both know how much fun it would have been to pull the head as the whole $%$#@%@ danmed front cover would have had to come off, not to mention having to reset the cam timing.
I ended up "peening" the leak shut with a hammer, and a small socket extension. I also had some AB Edelbrock epoxy left over from my intake build so I mixed a bit of that, and after roughing up the leak area I pushed the epoxy around the problem area.
Now remember this car DIDN'T overheat before I built it [another reason to buy a running engine when you want to do a rebuild]
So I will be running some type of sealant in my radiator mixed with the coolent just for piece of mind. Sometimes, even doing things the right way is no guarantee that it will work.