The Nissan Club banner

Anyone have a 300hp NA build?

91K views 641 replies 27 participants last post by  M-train 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2005, SE-R build.......

I just bought an 03 SE-R with a blown engine.

For a little background, I have been building hot rods , and performance engines for over 35 years now, not to mention paint/body, and lots of fab work.

Here is my little 90 Mazda B2200 that I twin turbo charged along with a Ford/Dart 363 engine.

So I while the engine is out I would like to up the HP just a bit to an honest 300fwhp.

I would agree that a turbo would be the best way to go with this, but I really don't want to take it that far as my wife will mostly be driving it.

I was thinking headers, port the heads, bigger throttle body [size???] maybe mill the heads for a little more CR.
So do any of you have an engine making around this much HP, and what did you do to the engine?

See less See more
#2 ·
After doing some reading on the 350z forums, looks like its not going to happen.

Of course the majority of the posts I read there were about bolt ons, and not really getting into the engines [I find this strange after comming from building Mustangs, and such as its not a big deal to build engines, not even the 32valve DOHC engines.]

So, I will probably rebuild the engine with some Weisco 9.5cr forged pistons, and just fab up a turbo setup. [Like I did on my 02 Tacoma 4 banger].

Anything known with these engines that need to be addressed, [other than the pre cat issues].

#6 ·
Gotta get it home.

The car was waaaay out in the boondocks so by the time we saw it, made a deal it was just too late to go home, and get the trailer.

We gave them money down, and got a receipt. I looked, and they did take their ad off Craigslist.

Why didn't I take my trailer when going to look? Well, I figure that always puts the seller a leg up on you when you negotiate price. Also, if the car is a turd, then you wasted gas pulling a trailer both ways.

I've already got ideas on how the turbo should go. The easy way is to put it in the trunk. But, that costs about $500 for the return oil pump [same thing I did on my twin turbo B2200]

Of course its way easier though to fabricate a remote turbo setup, and there is less heat under the hood.

If the 3.5l engine is made a good as the 2.5l, 4 cyl, then the block should stand up to lots more hp then I will be running.

My goal, as was my 02 Tacoma, is to make boost right up to the point of having to go with a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ecu controller.

Question, has anyone converted their fuel pump to a Walbro 225 setup?

#8 ·
Nice pickup man !

Guess Darren from VoltageDrop s the guy for you .

#10 ·
Thanx for link info oterop , might be useful one day .

#11 ·
Well got the car out of the weeds, and home today.

I was able to crank it, but it rattles like a bucket of bolts.

BUT, its important to know that it runs so that when I get the engine back in the car, and for whatever reason it don't start, I will at least know that everything was good before the rebuild.

I'm going to either pour some transmission fluid, or engine cleaner into the engine tomorrow so that the insides of the engine will be good, and clean for the rebuild. Also, I will spray some water into the intake while its running to clean out the carbon, and other gunk on the pistons/valves.

I wonder how much hp a 12:1cr engine with ported heads, headers, and true duel exhaust along with fresh air cleaner would make?

Thanks for the link on the fuel pump.

Weisco sells 11:5 piston, so that, and a set of thinner head gaskets [Cometic] might not be such a bad idea. Of course water injection would be mandatory at that cr.

Still a remote turbo setup don't seem like it would be that hard........decisions, decisions.

#12 ·
You tell it , decisions , decisions , & money sprey ! A chance that you do the job yourself , you ll save that way .

If you plan on some turbo install later on , get some forged conrods also . Have the engine machined prepped also , but you know it already as with any other engine builds .

I saw some VQ35s builts on some 350z forums , don t remember which ones , but Z guys did some engine builds , just search again , you should find these .

#14 ·
Pic's. Sad shape so far.

Started pulling the engine today, miles of wiring to go before I sleep.

Looks like there might be a way to make a simple log style header for a turbo.

I thought I would actually get the dang thing out today, but the sun has almost cooked me.

#15 ·
Some work do to mate ! Body-wise it seems ok , how is it underneath !

#18 ·
The underneath is fine. This is a southern car so not too much rust as long as the vehicle is being driven semi regular.

I did find a HUGE Wasp nest in the inside of the passenger shock tower. I don't know how I kept from getting stung as I jacked up that side to get the exhaust out.

Speaking of the exhaust as far as a turbo is concerned, the main problem I can see is where to put the turbo oil return line.

As of right now I can't see any place to drill that isn't obstructed.

#19 ·
Also, the paint is $hit. But, the way the Altima is made its pretty easy to section off things to paint.

For example I would paint both the hood, and trunk lid, then the next day paint both fenders, the next both front/rear bumper covers, etc.

#20 ·
yes, there is someone on here that has a 300+whp NA VQ

Reactions: ambition12SER
#22 · (Edited)
There's no build thread on it, but there are some specs in the for sale thread. The motor is now supercharged and for sale. Check the for sale thread for Tuko's thread

#23 ·
Thanks.

Ok today, got up early, and started pulling more crap off the engine.

From what I can see I'm probably going to pull the tranny as well. I might go ahead, and rebuild the tranny while its out, AND if I can find a rebuild kit.

Honestly, I think I will be pulling wiring connections in my sleep tonight. I did go out, and buy some di-electric grease, and put a generous amount on all of the open connections. May save myself some electrical issues down the road by doing that little bit.

Speaking of electrical, I'm going to be adding some more heavy duty grounds.

Most of the pic's today was just to help me remember how things go back together.

Looks like someone has been doing a little performance modding somewhere along this car's life. Look at the intake port matching. God how I hope there's going to be some forged rods, an pistons when I take this thing apart.....................but, I wouldn't bet on it.

#24 · (Edited)
Sorry for the double post, I'll just edit to what I did today..

I was able to get the engine/trans out with no problems.

I did find out the problem with this engine, and it was the water pump.

You can see how the waterpump bent. Also, this makes me leary about an engine that was so stupidly designed as to put something that needs semi regular service like the water pump INSIDE THE DAMNED ENGINE!!!!

Here you can see the wp is bent.

Rest of the parts in the yard for now.

#25 ·
Big project mate , did you get in touch with Darren from Voltage Drop !

#26 · (Edited)
I am intrigued by your project. Jumping right in with a rebuild. Very cool.

If you haven't found them already here's a link to the field service manuals for the Altima.

Index of /FSM/Altima

I have a SpeedforceRacing turbo kit sitting in my garage - yet to be installed. I like the idea of a remote turbo setup. That definitely keeps under the hood cleaner and the heat away.

CIN (Charlotte Infiniti/Nissan) Motorsports did a remote twin turbo project on an Infiniti M56 last summer. Here's a shot of the turbo under the bumper.

They routed the intake piping back through the side skirts up to the intercooler.

What's your budget for the project?

#27 ·
Thanks for the link.

One thing I found with the remote turbo setup is to make sure to get the turbo high enough to run into some type of catch can, then to a Walbro oil pump. DON'T use the differential pump as I have read where people have had problems with them.

I used the Weldon oil pump for my twin turbo truck, and it does fine, BUT, its expensive.
// WELDON RACING PUMPS // High Temperature Oil Transfer Pump -- Weldon Racing Pumps

#28 ·
Little bit of an update here.

Looks like I will go NA with this build as most all of the engine parts are $$$$$, so I won't have the funds left over to buy the turbo related stuff.

I'm trying to get ahold of Tuco as it looks like he still has the pistons, and rods I need, so we'll have to see.

Got everything disassembled. Man, those guys who put the damned balancer bolt on did a Hell of a job. I busted my grandfathers 80 year old breaker bar trying to get it off. I finally got the bolt broke free with a three foot long pipe attached to an old SK ratchet [also my grandfathers].

I also managed to break the head off of just about all of the main caps. Can anyone tell me the dia, and pitch of those bolts as I'm going to buy some hex headed bolts to go back in their place [I hate those damned inverted torx headed bolts]

Anyway, I got around to some head porting today. I did some homework on these DE heads and it turns out they are pretty impressive even in stock form.

From all that I have read the de heads flow approx 275 intake, and around 175 cfm exh.

To put that into perspective [I'm a Ford guy] a Ford 351C with 4bbl heads [HUGE INTAKE PORTS] flowed just a little bit less that the DE head in stock form.

Here are the pic's. Still a little more blending to go.

Here is a rather bad side/side pic. I was going to take a pic of two ports on the same head, one ported, one stock, but I got too involved to stop, and get the camera.

#29 ·
Oh I see some porting in here ! Cool job mate !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.