Does your sunroof leak? Mine does... - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 03:24 PM

Does your sunroof leak? Mine does...

Hello all, new member here.

Does anybody here have a problem with their sunroof leaking? I noticed it one night during a heavy rain. I stepped on the brakes and water fell down on me. So I looked back and saw water was dripping in from what would be the left, rear part of the sunroof.

I took it to the dealer and they said "they couldn't find a leak" of course. They actually had the nerve to tell me that I need to close the sunroof when it rains.

I took it back during another heavy rain and showed it leaking to them. So a couple weeks later I took it back to they could try to fix it. They adjusted the sunroof, cause the factory told them it might be misaligned. Well, they made it worse. Then they told me that all the sunroofs leak and they have drain tubes to remove the water. I don't buy that explaination.

Another two weeks later I took it back and they replaced the whole sunroof. No improvement. So I called corporate to escalate the situation.

So anyway, does anybody else have this problem that they know of? I dont' buy the explaination that they all leak, because that's what the gasket is for, to seal from leaks. I can understand the drain tubes being there as a backup if you have a gasket failure until you get it fixed, but I can't see them being the primary defense from water getting in the sunroof.

Looking forward to hearing comments from you all. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 03:30 PM

I haven't noticed a leak in mine. It's been raining pretty heavy in NY every few weeks and so far, everythings been dry.

I hope you get thie problem rectified as soon as possible. I can't imagine how your ceiling upholstry.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Sorry to hear about the sunroof situation. I've only washed my car a couple times and didn't notice any water getting in. Hopefully corporate will help you out.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxx View Post
I can't imagine how your ceiling upholstry.
The ceiling upholsery has 2 brown circles in exactly the same place on both sides of the rear seating area. Can you saw mildew anyone? Well, apparently the dealer can't, cause their explaination for that was "tall people hitting their heads on the upholstery when they get in and out of the car." Kind of impossible since only one person has ever sat back there and she isn't more than 5'5".
Old 08-16-2007, 03:43 PM

Drain tubes?!?!?! Even if they did have them, where do they run, and where do they drain??

93 Civic (previous car, now donated to 16yo sis)
2000 Frontier Crew Cab (in Nicaragua)
2001 Maxima (Mom's Car)
2004 Sentra (Medium Sister's Car)
Yeah... my Fam is kinda into Nissans
Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM

I have no leak on my sunroof.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmor555 View Post
Drain tubes?!?!?! Even if they did have them, where do they run, and where do they drain??
If it's true, it can only drain out towards the window areas, so My guess would be it has a tube that runs to the rear wind shield and drains it there, though I've never seen a stream of water running down anywhere.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your sunroof and the run around from the dealer that is the worst.

Regarding the drain tubes, I can't totally comment on the Altima but I know my old Saturn was set up with drain tubes. The idea is any water that may get in the gap is fed out the tubes toward the back of the car. On my saturn when I first picked it up they weren't connected right so the water collected in the trunk.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM

Yes the drain tubes drain under the rear window apparently and either on top of the trunk or below the rear chassis. They are located on both the left and right side of the sunroof.

And I'm glad people agree with me that they should be a backup for a gasket failure, and not the main defense for water overflowing in the catch tray up there.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Dealer is giving u the run around. Sure, sunroof will leak a little under very heavy rain, thats why they have drain holes, but under no condition should it leak inside the cabin. Good luck with the corporate office.
- 6 Speed
- DDM Tuning 3K Fogs

Best 1/4 : 14.504@ 97.67mph
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 AM

My sunroof doesn't leak, but lately it's been raining a lot and when I get up to speed, I can hear something like water in the sunroof circulating around. Never heard it before when it rained, just in the past week. None of it came through the car though,
Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Rub my fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabePBA View Post
Hello all, new member here.

Does anybody here have a problem with their sunroof leaking? I noticed it one night during a heavy rain. I stepped on the brakes and water fell down on me. So I looked back and saw water was dripping in from what would be the left, rear part of the sunroof.

I took it to the dealer and they said "they couldn't find a leak" of course. They actually had the nerve to tell me that I need to close the sunroof when it rains.

I took it back during another heavy rain and showed it leaking to them. So a couple weeks later I took it back to they could try to fix it. They adjusted the sunroof, cause the factory told them it might be misaligned. Well, they made it worse. Then they told me that all the sunroofs leak and they have drain tubes to remove the water. I don't buy that explaination.

Another two weeks later I took it back and they replaced the whole sunroof. No improvement. So I called corporate to escalate the situation.

So anyway, does anybody else have this problem that they know of? I dont' buy the explaination that they all leak, because that's what the gasket is for, to seal from leaks. I can understand the drain tubes being there as a backup if you have a gasket failure until you get it fixed, but I can't see them being the primary defense from water getting in the sunroof.

Looking forward to hearing comments from you all. Thanks.
Is this an aftermarket sunroof or the factory sunroof? They aren't supposed to leak anyway, but if the sunroof is aftermarket, there is probably a kink in the drain tubes, or they are clogged. I've seen it before where the aftermarket company never actually put the drain tubes in. Either way, it should not leak.

Somehow we need to figure out how to get dealers to stop saying ridiculous things to customers.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM

No, its a factory sunroof. I have the 3.5SL fully loaded, so it came with everything.

I had called corporate about the situation, and their solution for the problem was to take it back to the dealer yet again. So I'm going to have someone drop it off for me this Thursday, as I am flying out of town, I won't need the car. They need to come up with a better explaination of what they've given me so far, cause for me, the acceptable amount of water that should come through the seal is zero. Guess I'll have to wait and see...
Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Rub my fender

They are going to have to TAKE THE HEADLINER OUT and spray the damn thing down with the hose. This is why Nissan dealers typically have the worst customer satisfaction indexes on the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.