event data recorder - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Registered User
 
scrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clio, MI
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
event data recorder

I did a search on here, but didnt find any posts about it anyways.

I was looking through the PDF version of our owners manual and I found this close to the end of it

Quote:
This vehicle is equipped with an Event Data Recorder
(EDR). The main purpose of an EDR is to
record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations,
such as an air bag deployment or hitting a
road obstacle, data that will assist in understanding
how a vehicle’s systems performed. The EDR
is designed to record data related to vehicle
dynamics and safety systems for a short period of
time, typically 30 seconds or less. The EDR in this
vehicle is designed to record such data as:
c How various systems in your vehicle were
operating;
c Whether or not the driver and passenger
safety belts were buckled/fastened;
c How far (if at all) the driver was depressing
the accelerator and/or brake pedal; and,
c How fast the vehicle was traveling.
c Sounds are not recorded.
These data can help provide a better understanding
of the circumstances in which crashes and
injuries occur. NOTE: EDR data are recorded by
your vehicle only if a nontrivial crash situation
occurs; no data are recorded by the EDR under
normal driving conditions and no personal data
(e.g. name, gender, age and crash location) are
recorded. However, other parties, such as law
enforcement, could combine the EDR data with
the type of personally identifying data routinely
acquired during a crash investigation.
To read data recorded by an EDR, special equipment
is required and access to the vehicle or the
EDR is needed. In addition to the vehicle manufacturer
and NISSAN dealer, other parties, such
as law enforcement, that have the special equipment,
can read the information if they have access
to the vehicle or the EDR. The EDR data
may be retrieved during routine vehicle servicing
or for special research. It might also be accessed
with the consent of the vehicle owner or lessee, in
response to a request by law enforcement, or as
otherwise required or permitted by law.
EVENT DATA RECORDERS
9-26
Big brother in our cars, but then again it was bound to happen


2008 Winter Frost Nissan Altima 3.5 SE - Fully Loaded
2001 Honda Civic LX Coupe Ralleye Red -- Traded
scrimp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
ALTI FORZA ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
All the new cars have this now.

2.5 SL Precision Grey Sedan, 18"" Motegi DP 12's Gm. Wheels, Yokohama Avid V4s 225/45 18"Tires, 35% Tint all around, Factory spoiler. A work in progress

Clapton is God
ALTI FORZA ME is offline  
#3 Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Full of Wisdumb
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: deep in the woods
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
meh, i dont care.
let them know i flog my car.



(\___/)
( ='.'= )
(")__(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
600hppotential is offline  
#4 Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd
 
froedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Started with model year 2004 for all cars. Insurance companys weild a lot of power. they'll do anything to keep from having to pay a claim. The last paragraph indicates to me that the thing can be subpoenaed (sp?) in case law enforcement feels the need to put you away for awhile. Someday they'll have a satellite in space that'll read a computer chip in your car and issue you a speeding ticket, and/or shut your engine off if they think you are a threat. Watch for it. They already have the technology. California will have it first and then it'll filter over to the other 49 states with perhaps Texas as the last, lone holdout. Nevada doesn't care if you speed, they just want the money if you do. The cops here never get under 80 on the freeways. Safest place to drive here in Vegas is drafting your favorite NHP.

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.

Last edited by froedrick; 10-31-2007 at 10:57 PM.
froedrick is offline  
#5 Old 10-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by froedrick View Post
Started with model year 2004 for all cars. Insurance companys weild a lot of power. they'll do anything to keep from having to pay a claim. The last paragraph indicates to me that the thing can be subpoenaed (sp?) in case law enforcement feels the need to put you away for awhile. Someday they'll have a satellite in space that'll read a computer chip in your car and issue you a speeding ticket, and/or shut your engine off if they think you are a threat. Watch for it. They already have the technology. California will have it first and then it'll filter over to the other 49 states with perhaps Texas as the last, lone holdout. Nevada doesn't care if you speed, they just want the money if you do. The cops here never get under 80 on the freeways. Safest place to drive here in Vegas is drafting your favorite NHP.
haha... could happen... you never know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTI FORZA ME View Post
All the new cars have this now.
yepp... its like the black box kind of thing for airplanes...
RockenZ is offline  
#6 Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hppotential View Post
meh, i dont care.
let them know i flog my car.

you will when an insurance company refuses a claim because you were flogging your car.

1998 nissan 200sx se (daily driver)
2007 nissan altima 2.5s cvt (wife/family car)
2012 chevy camaro (weekend toy)
jd10013 is offline  
#7 Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
you will when an insurance company refuses a claim because you were flogging your car.
weird... my car got totaled... and they didn't mention anything about it... cops... insurance... nobody...
RockenZ is offline  
#8 Old 11-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd
 
froedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
My understanding is that the box only keeps data for about the last thirty seconds, and continuously. What this means is that if there ever is an accident, the thing will only give them about 30 sec. worth of info, such as terminal (sorry about use of that word; maybe final would be better) brake usage, throttle position at time of impact, etc. It's not going to record that you redlined your engine 2 months ago, or did 140 mph through a school zone 2 days ago. They are not built as a "fink" machine. At least not yet. Maybe someday; who knows?

Traded 10/10/11 for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Track Coupe.
froedrick is offline  
#9 Old 11-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockenZ View Post
weird... my car got totaled... and they didn't mention anything about it... cops... insurance... nobody...
they arn't using it yet, but thats where it's heading.

1998 nissan 200sx se (daily driver)
2007 nissan altima 2.5s cvt (wife/family car)
2012 chevy camaro (weekend toy)
jd10013 is offline  
#10 Old 11-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Get off my nuts
 
ManicSquirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
i had a buddy with a 2000 something celica ( not sure exactly what year, one of the firsht year), but he blew his engine because he missed a shift, and they did not have a rev limiter, so he went for 4th and and his hand slipped and he hit like 3rd or something, but he took it to the dealer and they said " well why was your car at 9000 rpm right before catastrophic failure", so i guess they can use it that way too, they can see the last 30 seconds of car info leading up to a major engine failure, he just sucked at shifting though...and he blew a couple of those engines, so i'm not sure how good they were...or how bad he was
ManicSquirrel is offline  
#11 Old 11-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered User
 
bond007taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Fact: some police departments do use these boxes. I have first hand experience...

2013 Nissan Altima 2.5SL [Tan Leather / Convenience Package / Technology Package / Fog Lights]
bond007taz is offline  
#12 Old 11-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Positive Contact
 
Blacktop_Prefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 1 reviews
I know none of us like having someone watch us, and we don't like the thought of insurance companies using this to fux with rates, or not pay claims, etc/whatever.

Still though, the recording will take alot of the he-said vs he-said speculation bullshit out of the picture. In that sense, I'm all for it.

Recording all the time would be too far for me. Come on, who hasn't rode without a seat belt for a few blocks? As a user, I say I wear a belt 100% of the time, when technically it's more like 99%. If these things are recording all the time chances are the insurance companies would use that 1% against you (ie everyone). However, if I'm seriously hurt in an accident and I wasn't wearing my seat belt, then there should be less liability on the side of the insurance company. This box can help with that.

The darkest side of humanity animated.
Blacktop_Prefect is offline  
#13 Old 11-04-2007, 02:01 AM
Registered User
 
scrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clio, MI
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
as with all recording technology similar to the event data recorder...it can be used for good and bad purposes


2008 Winter Frost Nissan Altima 3.5 SE - Fully Loaded
2001 Honda Civic LX Coupe Ralleye Red -- Traded
scrimp is offline  
#14 Old 11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop_Prefect View Post
I know none of us like having someone watch us, and we don't like the thought of insurance companies using this to fux with rates, or not pay claims, etc/whatever.

Still though, the recording will take alot of the he-said vs he-said speculation bullshit out of the picture. In that sense, I'm all for it.

Recording all the time would be too far for me. Come on, who hasn't rode without a seat belt for a few blocks? As a user, I say I wear a belt 100% of the time, when technically it's more like 99%. If these things are recording all the time chances are the insurance companies would use that 1% against you (ie everyone). However, if I'm seriously hurt in an accident and I wasn't wearing my seat belt, then there should be less liability on the side of the insurance company. This box can help with that.
Not sure if I'd like it or not. What if the blasted thing records something that is misleading or proves to be misrepresented (speeding when you were passing instead of just speeding for example). I'd like to know exactly what it's recording without speculation. Is there any owner documentation that states this?

Metallic Jade 3.5 SL 2007 Altima | Tech Package | Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler | VDC|
marklyn is offline  
#15 Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Registered User
 
702L32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Born on Oahu, Living in Las Vegas
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 17
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
iTrader: 5 reviews
just had to bump this thread...


i just read an article about these EDRs being in our cars and was wondering if anyone found ours and what it looks like...i want to disconnect mine
702L32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


<

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome