LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie antifreeze/coolant question

Hello, sorry for the newb question.

In my 2007 Altima manual, it says to use only genuine Nissan 50/50 antifreeze-coolant (green) or equivalent. I bought a bottle of Prestone 50/50, which is not green, but it says it's guaranteed to work for all types, and even lists a Nissan logo, amongst others. It's getting VERY cold where I live, and I want to make sure that this Prestone stuff is okay to use. And is 50/50 alright in very cold weather?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2008, 10:04 PM

I bet it's yellow and says Extended Life on it. Use the dealer fluids, they cost the same... Good lord Freeze went up tho huh? I sell windshield wash at my work for $2.19, and Freeze for $11.49... anything petroleum based is getting crazy expensive.

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
Bone Stock
MRR HR-4 20'x8'
35% Tint All Around
Simple, Sleek, and Long Lasting.
Dig-It!
#3 Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Rub my fender

Use the nissan stuff. Or just use the regular green fluid. Just make sure you don't buy the orange stuff, or anything for Dexcool systems. They do not mix.

Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
#4 Old 01-01-2008, 10:30 PM

I disagree I have been using Prestone on all my cars for the last 30 years with no problem,you can use both but I favor Prestone
#5 Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 AM

(Thread Starter)
Antifreeze

I'm grateful for the replies. So do you think there is a danger of mixing the yellow/orange over what's left of the green?
#6 Old 01-02-2008, 01:00 AM

You have two options: Green or Yellow
...but like I said, If it were me, I would go to the dealer and get their green. If you use orange you're gonna have problems. Be careful because some of the Dexcool/Gearhead crap says extended life on it.. but the yellow is always called Ex-Life.

2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S CVT
Bone Stock
MRR HR-4 20'x8'
35% Tint All Around
Simple, Sleek, and Long Lasting.
Dig-It!

Last edited by mldonovan82; 01-02-2008 at 01:05 AM.
#7 Old 01-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Rub my fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan81 View Post
I disagree I have been using Prestone on all my cars for the last 30 years with no problem,you can use both but I favor Prestone
This is what leads people to bring their cars in for stupid stuff because they always want to mess around with stuff they have no idea how to use.

Yes, I know coolant is simple. I don't even understand why a coolant question would be asked in here. If you have low coolant, take it to the dealer. Don't add your own crap. The car should not require any extra coolant....EVER, unless you have a serious problem. One should not walk out into the garage and say, "Hmm, I'm a little low on coolant," and then walk away and not think about it again.

Actually, go ahead use the different colored stuff. Then if there really is a problem, Nissan will blame you for the issue, and you have no way of proving otherwise.

As far as adding coolant to the mix, it won't do too terribly much for you as 70% coolant to water mix is the best you can get for the most part. You are probably protected with the stock stuff, unless you start seeing temperatures in the -30 range on a regular basis and leave your car outside.

Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
#8 Old 01-02-2008, 03:25 AM

Just for your info, the 50/50 stuff is a waste of money...It's just that, half coolant, half water...So you are paying the same or more for the 50/50 as you are a whole gallon of just coolant when you are only getting half a gallon of coolant and half a gallon of water...

Just buy a gallon of regular green Prestone, a gallon of distilled water and mix them in a big bucket...badda bing, you have 2 gallons of 50/50 for about $1 more than 1 gallon of premix 50/50...

2007 Precision Grey 3.5L SE with CVT
14.54@96.53mph, 2.29 60' bone stock

2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE CVT: 14.540 @ 96.530 MPH <----click here! The more clicks the better chance I have to win a GoPro!
#9 Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouriguy1973 View Post
Just for your info, the 50/50 stuff is a waste of money...It's just that, half coolant, half water...So you are paying the same or more for the 50/50 as you are a whole gallon of just coolant when you are only getting half a gallon of coolant and half a gallon of water...

Just buy a gallon of regular green Prestone, a gallon of distilled water and mix them in a big bucket...badda bing, you have 2 gallons of 50/50 for about $1 more than 1 gallon of premix 50/50...
and sometimes a gallon of 50/50 isnt enough when you fully drain the engine so youll be spending more on two then buying and mixing on your own.
#10 Old 01-02-2008, 12:14 PM

If it were me, I would also get the genuine Nissan coolant. If you are draining and refilling, then use whatever Nissan-compliant coolant you choose. But, for adding or topping off, just get the Nissan stuff.

Think of it this way - any thing OTHER than genuine Nissan coolant MIGHT cause problems. The genuine Nissan coolant is GUARENTEED to not cause problems.

On my 2003 Toyota Corolla (genuine Toyota coolant is bright red....looks just like ATF), I mistakenly mixed some Prestone orange stuff in there (which did say it was compatible with Toyota coolant) and a few months down the road, I had little globs of slimmy gunk floating in the radiator neck and coating my entire cooling system. Prestone's statement was that is dissolved once up to operating temp and didn't cause any harm. But if you had seen it, you would swear the head gasket was leaking oil into the coolant....because it was REAL NASTY STUFF and lots of it. The two compatible coolants reacted unfavorably. I never used anything other than Toyota LLC on my Toyotas again. And won't use anything other than Nissan coolant on my Nissan, either.

Just throwing that out there.

Late,
Trav
#11 Old 01-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foglght View Post
The car should not require any extra coolant....EVER, unless you have a serious problem. One should not walk out into the garage and say, "Hmm, I'm a little low on coolant," and then walk away and not think about it again.

Actually, in the real world, where most of us live, there is a phenomenon called "evaporation". When the hot coolant expands, and moves from the pressurized cooling system into the non-pressurized expansion (overflow) tank, some of it WILL evaporate, faster in dry climates. The more times you cycle the coolant into the expansion tank, the more coolant you will lose to evaporation. So, if you drive every day in hot weather, you will have to add coolant more often than if you only drive once a week, and only in cool weather. And it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the car. It's just something called physics.

2007 3.5SE
Winter Frost
#12 Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Rub my fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormand View Post
Actually, in the real world, where most of us live, there is a phenomenon called "evaporation". When the hot coolant expands, and moves from the pressurized cooling system into the non-pressurized expansion (overflow) tank, some of it WILL evaporate, faster in dry climates. The more times you cycle the coolant into the expansion tank, the more coolant you will lose to evaporation. So, if you drive every day in hot weather, you will have to add coolant more often than if you only drive once a week, and only in cool weather. And it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the car. It's just something called physics.
The rate of evaporation is very small. Plus, that only makes even a stronger point to never add more COOLANT. Add water.

And that's chemistry, not physics, unless you really want to be a dick and talk about thermodynamics.

Also, many of the newer cooling systems removed the radiator cap, and added it to the overflow tank, which is pressurized. I can't remember if I ever looked at that yet on the Altima...had no reason to look.

#13 Old 01-02-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foglght View Post
The rate of evaporation is very small. Plus, that only makes even a stronger point to never add more COOLANT. Add water.

And that's chemistry, not physics, unless you really want to be a dick and talk about thermodynamics.
No, you are showing your ignorance, again. It is PHYSICS, not chemistry. There is no chemical reaction involved, merely a change of state. Richard Feynman, genius and PHSICS professor discusses evaporation in the first chapter of his classic book, "Six Easy Pieces". Might get somebody to explain it to you. While they are explaining, they might mention that the other liquids in the coolant evaporate, just like water. Ethylene glycol or propolyne glycol, it doesn't matter. And modern cooling systems are pressurized to 15psi, or higher. The overflow tanks on most cars are plastic- and they are NOT designed to that pressure. At least not in the real world. Oh yeah, look under the hood. Altmas have plastic overflow/expansion tanks.

2007 3.5SE
Winter Frost
#14 Old 01-02-2008, 06:02 PM

Do you all use Nissan approved fluids? Do you all use Nissan approved oil? How about the Nissan approved break fluid?
I went to my friend who builds engines and he said unless you live very far north you can use Prestone with no worries
#15 Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
"Evie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormand View Post
No, you are showing your ignorance, again. It is PHYSICS, not chemistry. There is no chemical reaction involved, merely a change of state. Richard Feynman, genius and PHSICS professor discusses evaporation in the first chapter of his classic book, "Six Easy Pieces". Might get somebody to explain it to you. While they are explaining, they might mention that the other liquids in the coolant evaporate, just like water. Ethylene glycol or propolyne glycol, it doesn't matter. And modern cooling systems are pressurized to 15psi, or higher. The overflow tanks on most cars are plastic- and they are NOT designed to that pressure. At least not in the real world. Oh yeah, look under the hood. Altmas have plastic overflow/expansion tanks.
Chemistry (from Egyptian kēme (chem), meaning "earth"[1]) is the science concerned with the composition, structure, and properties of matter, as well as the changes it undergoes during chemical reactions.

Physics is the science studying the concept of matter[1] and its motion,[2][3] as well as space and time[4][5] the science that deals with concepts such as force, energy, mass, and charge.

i'm pretty sure it's chemistry/thermodynamics. just because a physicist wrote it in his book doesn't mean that it's physics. if you are talking about the entire cycle, then it would be thermo (which is derived from physics)

anyways, besides that point. how about getting back on track with the subject

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid || Techone 5K HID kit || 35% Llumar ATR Tints
2002-2006 Sentra SER SpecV R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode