Oil Sludge - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-18-2008, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Sludge

I went to get an oil change at the "mr.lube" last night (10k on the car) and the guy starts telling me about flushing the car once a year to prevent "oil sludge" buildup. And then he showed me that some sludge had started forming already when he unscrewed the cap.

I told him to forget about the flush and just change the oil.

I only use synthetic on the oil changes. Is there any merit to this "oil sludge" claim? Is it really that important to "flush" the system once a year?

*-- SiLva Bullet --*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey man, where's my car?

already? I don't think so man. Most probably they were tryn to take some money from your pocket.
#3 Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM

No...

Hogwash and they are just trying to get money out of you...10k wasn't your first oil change though I hope...

2007 Precision Grey 3.5L SE with CVT
14.54@96.53mph, 2.29 60' bone stock

2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE CVT: 14.540 @ 96.530 MPH <----click here! The more clicks the better chance I have to win a GoPro!
#4 Old 01-18-2008, 07:01 PM

I sometimes wonder about the quick oil change establishments.....

My friend has a CRV and they were paying like over $45 per oil change because the shop said the car needed a synthetic blend. On a Honda 4cyl? Makes you also wonder if what they actually use is what they say they are using as far as oil goes. You never know.

My dad has an '04 Civic, and I changed the oil a couple months ago @75,000 miles. Took a look at his air filter, and the thing was BLACK. Factory filter. Every previous oil change was done by various quick change shops. The air box lid took more than a few clips to take off, you needed to unscrew four screws and finagle it a bit to get to the filter. I figured this is why nobody ever checked it. Can't trust anyone.

That's why I do my own oil changes even though the extra time/effort/mess is totally not worth the few bucks you save doing it yourself. Piece of mind, I guess.

'07 3.5SE 6mt black/black cloth, sport pckge
'86 300ZX black/grey leather, electronic dash
#5 Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 PM

Oil sludge

DO NOT FALL IN THE TRAP!!!

They are required to offer that to everybody, plus they get comission for those... i took my 2006 pathfider at 14,000 miles and did a test....i changed my oil without changing the filter ran it 1000 miles and took it to the lube's shop...obviously the oil was brownish. I told my wife to leave me outside and made her take the turn (usually they try to convince women since they usually know less about cars)... The guy stated telling that the oil was brown so she had to to an engine oil flush ASAP or the car will break ($180 jajaj). cmooonnn 14,000 mile car DAAAAMMMM idiots i have a 1977 Volvo DL 395,000 miles no engine flushes and runs great!!!!! i used to be a VOLVO VW mechanic adn could not believe the D&K%ckweed.

Brown oil = used oil

3.5 SE 07 Altima Precision Gray
#6 Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
revvomaniac's STALKEE

i would just take it to nissan whether its more or not at least you know that the shop is built to repair only your car(nissan) i had an older corolla before my altima and my alternator and battery went up...took it to a local shop where i USED to get my oil changed.. they ended up having to replace it 4 times because they didnt do it right the first second and THIRD times didnt pay a thing for there stupidity...i know this isnt an oil change scenario but at least it reinforces the fact that these shops are ripoffs with fools working on our cars..

2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
-mods-
N/A
2008 Nissan ULTIMA 2.5s CVT Sedan which belongs to my FIANCE now
-mods-
blue LED interior
rear valence overlay...thanks Blue batmoblie..
#7 Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yah....and this guy tried to up-sell me on a bunch of garbage like carbon build-ups and fluid flushes...and I sat there laughing to myself...

Then he said "Ooops...i thought you had 40,000km on your car"....it was really 4,998km at the last oil change...

This car is BRAND NEW! what an idiot....That's the last time I take my car there...I would have done this one myself but it's too damn cold outside...

*-- SiLva Bullet --*
#8 Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Usually the only time we recommend an engine flush is if they had gone a LONG time without an oil change. If you change it regularly, you wont have an issue what so ever

2008 Altima 2.5SL CVT - Dark Slate - Black Leather 8000k HID Kit

#9 Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 AM

Cool Sludge?

Sludge should not build up in an engine using synthetic oil, period. Be very careful where you get your oil changed. I heard a story recently about a quick lube place reusing the same synthetic oil container, and just refilling it with cheap bulk oil. This story was conveyed by someone who used to work in this quick lube place.
#10 Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 AM

Another scam................stay away from that place
#11 Old 01-19-2008, 02:12 AM

This guy either is an idiot, or thinks you're one!!

The car has 10k miles on it and he is talking about oil sludge.

The best thing to do with oil is to replace it yourself, but if you're like me, mechanically challanged, then take it to a place you trust, or the dealer.

I been taking the car to dealer for oil changes since the day i got it and no oil problems with less than 90K miles. I pay more than Jiffy lube and other places and the price has gone up over the years, but i have that peace of mind.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/auto-detailing/270854-how-my-car-looks-after-6-years-8-months.html
#12 Old 01-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Idok

Before I would spend the $$ for a "de Sludging" I would spend $20.00-$30.00 for used oil analysis. You would then have a very good idea of how your oil is holding up under your particular driving conditions and oil change intervals.
#13 Old 01-19-2008, 04:45 PM

How exactly does this "oil flush" work? I thought changing the oil was the flush.
#14 Old 01-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Forty-something MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idok View Post
Before I would spend the $$ for a "de Sludging" I would spend $20.00-$30.00 for used oil analysis. You would then have a very good idea of how your oil is holding up under your particular driving conditions and oil change intervals.
Don't even bother on a car with 10k on it. Unless you have a Toyota 1MZ engine, engine sludge shouldn't even cross your mind until at least 80k, or if you go like 15k without an oil change.

. : The Rupp : .

.: 2007 3.5SE :: Precision Grey :: Sport Package :: CVT :: Höen Xenonmatch Plus Low Beams :. - Traded for:

.: 2008 3.5SE :: Dark Slate :: Premium Package :: CVT :: Garmin nüvi 350 Hardwire :: 20% Tint All Around :. - Gone

.: 2006 BMW 330i :: Sparkling Graphite :: Premium Package :: Sport Package :: 6MT :. - Sold

.: 2010 Scion tC :: Flint Mica :. - Sold

.: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco :: 6MT :. - Awaiting more LED's

LED: LED Thread :: Footwells & Cupholder :.
#15 Old 01-21-2008, 06:44 AM
MiniTrucker

Do yourself a favor. Learn how to do your own oil changes. It's quick, simple and you don't have to worry about some dipshit putting in the wrong fluid, trying to rob you on things you don't need done, or damaging your vehicle because they are untrained morons.

I used to work in a couple of shops years ago and I was amazed by some of the morons they would hire to do things like batteries and oil changes. Many times people with no automotive experience lucky if they know what a box ended wrench looks like.

10,000 miles on your car, do you need to do a oil flush... no. I do one every so often on my vehicles, maybe around 50,000 or so. You do not want to flush the oil too often. When they use things like an engine flush additive it usually has a cleaner simular to kerosene in it, this is what breaks down teh sludge so it will flow out of the drain plug. Pouring this into your engine too often can dry up seals and gaskets which can cause them to shrink and crack in the long run.

However when I do need to flush a engine I do it myself and it costs about $10. Buy a can of 5 minute engine flush, and 4 quarts of cheap no name brand oil. Pour the engine flush in and let it run for 5 minutes (bet you didnt see that coming, lol). Once it's cooled a bit pull the drain plug and let out the old oil and engine flush. Then I pur in the cheap oil, run it for a few minutes, and drain it out. This makes sure you don't have any left over engine flush sitting in the back corner of the oil pan, in the lifter valley or anywhere else oil collects in the motor. Once all the flushing oil is drained I fill with a quality synthetic, my personal favorite is AMSoil.

BTW, if you are using quality synthetic oil you will have very little to no oil sludge to worry about in the first place.

John - ClubECM.com
'01 Xtreme- '02 Sentra SER SpecV- '08 Altima 2.5SL- '05 Yamaha R1

Last edited by TA^Guy; 01-21-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode