CVT Fluid Change - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CVT Fluid Change

I must be blind but I haven't been able to locate the recommended change time for the CVT fluid. I will be going by the longer intervals as my driving is about 95% HWY. It is just a fluid change as it doesn't have a filter does it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyboy View Post
I must be blind but I haven't been able to locate the recommended change time for the CVT fluid. I will be going by the longer intervals as my driving is about 95% HWY. It is just a fluid change as it doesn't have a filter does it?

Thanks!
I think its about 60,000 or something like that? I'm not sure... I could be wrong... there were a couple threads around about it... its supposed to be VERY expensive though... search around and see if you can find it!
#3 Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 PM
SoLow MoToRsPoRtZ

The dealer told me that there is no need for the transmission fluid to be changed on the CVT until 100k miles. And it can only be done at Nissan dealerships because there is a special type of fluid used for the CVT.
#4 Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Phantom View Post
The dealer told me that there is no need for the transmission fluid to be changed on the CVT until 100k miles. And it can only be done at Nissan dealerships because there is a special type of fluid used for the CVT.
yeah... there is supposedly special fluid that only nissan has... and like I said... I wasn't sure about the interval... 100k might be right...

EDIT: After some searching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjones View Post
That's about correct but I'd change out the antifreeze well before that and the CVT fluid needs changed at 60k. I usually change sparkplugs around 80k, but to honest, the last changes on several vehicles the plugs looked great. That statement of 100k is pretty typical of most brands these days, GM, etc.

The timing chain should also last the lifetime of the vehicle. Timing belts need changed. I put 328,000 miles on my last Nissan timing chain and 238,000 miles on the chain of my '03 Accord. The chain was a qualifier for me to purchase the vehicle. (a lot of 4's have belts, VWI TDI, Subaru, etc.)

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new...ml#post3409452

and this one has some useful info too...

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new...ller-tube.html

I'm too lazy to search any more... hope that helps though...

Last edited by RockenZ; 02-09-2008 at 08:44 PM.
#5 Old 02-09-2008, 08:50 PM

Yeah do not worry about getting a tranny flush anytime soon because it is about 33 dollars a quart and i believe you use 6-7 quarts.

2007 Altima 2.5S
Dark Slate
Fujita Intake
SE Rims
Painted Calipers=15whp and 10% braking power
#6 Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07fosho View Post
Yeah do not worry about getting a tranny flush anytime soon because it is about 33 dollars a quart and i believe you use 6-7 quarts.
It's a little over 8 quarts in the 2.5 CVT. My dealer has it for $16/quart at the parts counter. You can also mail order for $14.95

MyNismo.com - NISSAN CVT Fluid

Al Jones
'08 2.5SL/CVT, 365K & counting
'11 Silverado
'79 MGB
#7 Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The official info from Nissan is that the fluid should be inspected every 15k miles for any signs of fluid contamination or component failure. If the vehicle is used for towing, has a car-top carrier attached, or is driven on muddy or rough roads, the service manual says to check the CVT fluid deterioration value using the CONSULT-III scan tool every 60k and replace as needed. Under CVT fluid replacement in the service manual, the procedure is to drain the unit, refill with new fluid, AND unhook the lines at the radiator and continue to flush fluid through the transmission until all of the fluid is changed.
#8 Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
.....the service manual says to check the CVT fluid deterioration value using the CONSULT-III scan tool every 60k and replace as needed. Under CVT fluid replacement in the service manual, the procedure is to drain the unit, refill with new fluid, AND unhook the lines at the radiator and continue to flush fluid through the transmission until all of the fluid is changed.
I'm considering just doing the drain/fill every 50k (about annually for me). The flush step done in the home garage sounds dangerous and I'll skip that step. I have some buddies that do a flush on their GM automatic trannies (4L60E in my Impala SS) using a couple of milk crates but if you let it run dry, thats trouble!

Hopefully a moderator can knock off the Monkey man....

Al Jones
'11 Silverado
'79 MGB
#9 Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I'm considering just doing the drain/fill every 50k (about annually for me). The flush step done in the home garage sounds dangerous and I'll skip that step. I have some buddies that do a flush on their GM automatic trannies (4L60E in my Impala SS) using a couple of milk crates but if you let it run dry, thats trouble!

Hopefully a moderator can knock off the Monkey man....
If the CVT fluid deterioration value hasn't reached its limit (which I doubt it has at 50k), I don't see why a single drain and refill isn't sufficient, especially when a drain and refill removes more than half of the fluid in this transmission. After all, a "proper" fluid change is needed if and only if the CVT fluid deterioration value has reached its limit and/or there is visible signs of fluid contamination or mechanical failure. Even Jatco advertises on their website that the fluid is certified as lifetime fill..."our transmissions require no oil change."

The backyard flush really isn't dangerous. If you pull off the lines and put them into a milk container, have another person start the car and allow 2-3 quarts to drain out at a time. The fluid doesn't drain out super fast from my experience (varies with each transmission brand, some are low flow) so usually you won't drain it dry.
#10 Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Hey, thanks, those points are good to know. With no way of knowing my deterioration value I'll just up the frequency a bit. Good to know on the speed. With my GM tranny, it moves the fluid pretty fast.
Quote:
If the CVT fluid deterioration value hasn't reached its limit (which I doubt it has at 50k), I don't see why a single drain and refill isn't sufficient, especially when a drain and refill removes more than half of the fluid in this transmission. After all, a "proper" fluid change is needed if and only if the CVT fluid deterioration value has reached its limit and/or there is visible signs of fluid contamination or mechanical failure. Even Jatco advertises on their website that the fluid is certified as lifetime fill..."our transmissions require no oil change."

The backyard flush really isn't dangerous. If you pull off the lines and put them into a milk container, have another person start the car and allow 2-3 quarts to drain out at a time. The fluid doesn't drain out super fast from my experience (varies with each transmission brand, some are low flow) so usually you won't drain it dry.

Al Jones
'11 Silverado
'79 MGB
#11 Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Hey, thanks, those points are good to know. With no way of knowing my deterioration value I'll just up the frequency a bit. Good to know on the speed. With my GM tranny, it moves the fluid pretty fast.
See this thread:

Quote:
Bit of a long story so bear with me. My wife’s 03 Murano SL developed a problem. The “Service Engine Soon” light came on. Well, I was out on the road when it happened so the first thing I did when I got home was to check the gas cap. It was tight so I went to the owner’s manual. It stated that it could be the gas cap; emission system; or the CVT. Ok, I’m getting a bit worried here. I contacted the dealer and he was able to fit me in that afternoon. I took “Scoot” in and waited. Turns out that they couldn’t find any codes so they reset the light and also replaced the fuel cap…..all under warranty. WHEW! Since I was nearing the 30K mark I asked them how much it would be to change the CVT fluid. The tech indicated that he thought it wasn’t necessary but would look it up. He was on the phone for quite a while and finally came out with a couple of zerox pages of maintenance manual. The bottom line was that you only have to change the fluid if the computer tests the fluid and “spits” out a number greater than 210,000. Hmmmm, made me wonder. The mechanic was standing right there and said that they had just had a class on trannys. Anyway, the tech hooked up the computer and printed out the analysis of the CVT fluid. My reading was 2383, well below the change number. You know, I usually change the tran fluid at 30K but changed my mind when I was told that CVT took 11 qts of Nissan special fluid and it cost $25 per qt. So, my advice to all would be to ask them to run the check on your CVT and print it out for you.
From: NISSAN MURANO . ORG Archive - Interesting info on CVT fluid change

Well, I mean the fluid does come out with some speed, but it is certainly possible to only pump out two to three quarts at a time and not run the transmission dry. However, this is definitely a two person job. You cannot do this by yourself...you need to be watching the milk container (marked) while having someone else turn the engine on and off.
#12 Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 PM

No, I understood. I'm always interested in learning about this new to me tech stuff. With the number of miles I pile on, I'll be a good test bed of sorts (bought the car at the beginning of Dec. Oil change next month will be just over 12,000 miles)
Quote:
See this thread:

From: NISSAN MURANO . ORG Archive - Interesting info on CVT fluid change

Well, I mean the fluid does come out with some speed, but it is certainly possible to only pump out two to three quarts at a time and not run the transmission dry. However, this is definitely a two person job. You cannot do this by yourself...you need to be watching the milk container (marked) while having someone else turn the engine on and off.

Al Jones
'11 Silverado
'79 MGB
#13 Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM
The Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Phantom View Post
This is exactly what I've been told as well.
#14 Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSentra07 View Post
This is exactly what I've been told as well.
Buy the Nissan fluid here or at your local dealer parts counter. My dealer says he'll match this price.

Al Jones
'11 Silverado
'79 MGB
#15 Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 AM
The Detailer

Quote:
Buy the Nissan fluid here or at your local dealer parts counter. My dealer says he'll match this price.
Thanks for the heads up. It'll be awhile before I'll need to do this though. I'll probably end up going to the dealership at 75K and have them take care of it though. This is one thing that I don't wanna mess up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode