XM NavTraffic worth it? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
XM NavTraffic worth it?

I went ahead and got xm for 1 year by calling in and getting that $77 deal. They asked me about the NavTraffic feature and I said no.

Does anyone find that feature useful? I probably use my Nav system like once a week, and when I have the traffic thing has not seemed very helpful. Am I the only one that thinks that?

2008 Nissan Altima SE, Dark Slate, 35% tint, Code Alarm CA440TW Remote Start with CarLink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
bleeds Black & Gold

it only shows traffic for major highways, and half the time its wrong....especially in rush hour. One time it told me that i would be encountering traffic in the route it was taking me....that was nice, but it still led me right to the traffic....i thought it was supposed to take me around the traffic if it knew there was traffic ahead.

Im going to go ahead and say its not worth it.

#3 Old 04-15-2008, 05:05 PM
"Evie"

i think it depends on where you live, it's sometimes helpful, but not sure if it's $3 a month useful. it should just be a feature they throw in with your sub.

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid || Techone 5K HID kit || 35% Llumar ATR Tints
2002-2006 Sentra SER SpecV R.I.P.
#4 Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 AM

In order for this technology to get good, a lot of people have to buy it when it's bad (same with everything, eh?)

So far, I prefer driving by the accidents, so it's a "no-sale" here. I've got a Garmin unit with an FM receiver for real-time traffic. They'll give me a 3 month free subscription to try it out, but I see about 2 traffic issues a year, and they're not worth $18 apiece to avoid.

If you're really inconvenienced by traffic tie-ups a lot AND if the tech works, go for it.

She was a fireplug of a woman...

Nissan daily driver for 20 years:
1988 Pulsar NX from 1988 to 1999
1991 Stanza XE from 1999 to 2008
2007 Altima 2.5s from 2008 to ...
#5 Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 AM

Not worth it here around Dayton, Ohio.

Ted
Bellbrook, Oh.

2.5 SL, loaded
Stock
Born 7/7/07
#6 Old 04-16-2008, 05:02 AM

I'm not speaking of XM but about live traffic in general.
I gave in and got myself a iPhone a few months ago and the single most used feature on that thing for me is the real-time traffic map feature.
Living here in Los Angeles and trying to move around the city for my work is a nightmare. I pay $20 per month for an unlimited cellular data plan and after seeing how it works with giving me the traffic reports, I would pay that $20 solely to get the traffic displayed in real-time all the time, which it does.

For me and where I live, it would be money well spent to pay the extra for the traffic upgrade. I personally choose which freeway or route I take based on the traffic congestion I see. I don't rely on the route the device chooses for me.
#7 Old 04-16-2008, 06:53 AM
April 2010 NOTM Winner

^ +2 to that also. I never use what it chooses but it does update me on the routes that are congested pretty good here in SoCal. Its worth it to me.

2007 Altima 2.5 SL CVT Radiant Silver

Error - Amount of MODS exceeds space provided. Click for CarDomain

Sponsored by: BlueBatmobile.net "AUTHORIZED INSTALLER" | AIT Racing | Racingline | Killerglass | Clear-Pro Invisible Auto Bra | V-LEDs

Threads: Subwoofer Enclosure | Air Suspension | Carputer

Immaculate Stylz on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ImmaculateStylzCC
#8 Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Forty-something MPG

If you're like me, I know better than to try to take a highway between the hours of 6:30 and 9 AM, and 3-7 PM, so instead I take the side streets. I'd like to know about accidents on those, traffic lights not working, construction, etc, and XM NavTraffic, to my knowledge, doesn't show that. It really only sticks to major highways, which I don't take because you never really go above 5 mph.

. : The Rupp : .

.: 2007 3.5SE :: Precision Grey :: Sport Package :: CVT :: Höen Xenonmatch Plus Low Beams :. - Traded for:

.: 2008 3.5SE :: Dark Slate :: Premium Package :: CVT :: Garmin nüvi 350 Hardwire :: 20% Tint All Around :. - Gone

.: 2006 BMW 330i :: Sparkling Graphite :: Premium Package :: Sport Package :: 6MT :. - Sold

.: 2010 Scion tC :: Flint Mica :. - Sold

.: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco :: 6MT :. - Awaiting more LED's

LED: LED Thread :: Footwells & Cupholder :.
#9 Old 04-16-2008, 05:46 PM
SpeedLinesAreChasingMe!

Not worth it for Maryland. Its ALWAYS green, no matter if a traffic jam or not. I just usually check the traffic reports before and after work anyhoo.

08 Altima 4dr 3.5 SL CVT - Precision Gray w/ Charcoal Int. - Fully loaded
Mods: {WeatherTech mats}{28% tint}{Brazillan back w/ hamburger}{OEM Chrome Altima plate holder}{Bat's rear variance}{Stillen Rear Swaybar}{Injen Intake}{Black Depo tails}{Raceingline strut towerbar}{custom grounding kit}{Nissan Black painted OEM grill}{paint-matched fiberglass eyelids}{Raceingline Y-pipe]{Eibach Pro Springs}
#10 Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRupp View Post
If you're like me, I know better than to try to take a highway between the hours of 6:30 and 9 AM, and 3-7 PM, so instead I take the side streets. I'd like to know about accidents on those, traffic lights not working, construction, etc, and XM NavTraffic, to my knowledge, doesn't show that. It really only sticks to major highways, which I don't take because you never really go above 5 mph.
^+1... PERFECTLY written... same thing around me in NJ...
#11 Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Cegledi

The XM Traffic is well worth the price. As a matter of fact I'd pay double. Why???? If it says the highway is green then I'm going the other way to avoid what is really red. The thing has led me astray so many times I don't even use it anymore.

However, I did call yesterday because my free 3-month (even though it has been six) trial is up and they told me I can renew for like $13/mo. I asked about a military rate - nothing, how about a Nissan rate - nothing, how about I'm a good guy calling on a Monday night - crickets. Then I mentioned my "doesn't really exist" postcard renewal that mentioned ZWINBACK as a code and she said ok that will be $7.77/mo for a year. I gave her my credit card number two seconds later.

I'm a happy XM subscriber. Now if I can only get Stern.

08 Altima 2.5SL (loaded)!
Majestic Blue w/Blond Leather

Mods:
17" Sport Edition KV5 rims w/Falken Tires 235/50/17
Fujita Intake System
Chrome door handles
Aluminum Kick Plates
35% Tint all around
SE Door Mirrors (considering)
#12 Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Ioo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bina12834 View Post
it only shows traffic for major highways, and half the time its wrong....especially in rush hour. One time it told me that i would be encountering traffic in the route it was taking me....that was nice, but it still led me right to the traffic....i thought it was supposed to take me around the traffic if it knew there was traffic ahead.

Im going to go ahead and say its not worth it.
It will route you around it, you just have to ask it too. All you need to do is click the button in the traffic screen to route around it... and it will do it's best...

I live in DC, and it can be helpful.
#13 Old 04-23-2008, 08:07 PM
bleeds Black & Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioo View Post
It will route you around it, you just have to ask it too. All you need to do is click the button in the traffic screen to route around it... and it will do it's best...

I live in DC, and it can be helpful.
where in DC do you live? we're trying to get a meet together in Rockville sometime soon....when it actually is nice out on a weekend

#14 Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 PM
3.5 SE Black/Blond

Works great in Seattle

We have 4 major highways and the navtraffic is very accurate. And if it can help me avoid traffic once a month, its well worth the $4. I think navtraffic depends on the local city traffic monitoring system. I think thats why it works well in some places and sucks in others.
#15 Old 12-13-2008, 07:20 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well, I activated the NavTraffic in Las Vegas, but I'm not sure how useful it is. I'll see little icons saying free entryway closed, but as of yet it has not re-routed me or anything like that.

How does it actually work for a traffic jam? Does it automatically re-route you and have the voice come up and tell you where to go?

2008 Nissan Altima SE, Dark Slate, 35% tint, Code Alarm CA440TW Remote Start with CarLink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode