Tire Pressure Sensor Reset? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 AM

Question Tire Pressure Sensor Reset?

I was looking to get my tires on my 3.5 rotated and balanced, and I didn't feel like being bent over the service counter of the local Nissan dealership to get it done ($80). BJ's Wholesale has a special from Monroe Tire for the balance and rotation for $30. So I took it to BJ's to get the work done, only to be told they don't have the reset tool for the tire pressure sensors. Each tire has it's own sensor to track the pressure. Apparently they need to be reset when the tires are rotated so the computer system isn't thrown off (even though mine just says lower pressure and does not identify the tire). Does anyone have any info on this....my search of the forums went dry.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 AM

Hey I am not sure how to reset, but I wish I knew as well.

Since my tires were rotated and balanced at the dealership about 2 weeks ago, my TPMS has been flashing when I start the car, then stays on solid. I thought it was the tires but checked them and they are okay. Called Nissan, they said it means one or more sensors is malfunctioning and will need to be replaced. I think they don't know what they're talking about and they forgot to reset it.

I don't know.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 AM

Since there is no indication as to tire position on the dashboard, it does not have to be reset. I have had my tires rotated at the dealer and a local shop. Neither place had to reset the TPMS system. There are other manufacturers, such as GM, where the tire positions are identified on the dashboard.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Hey Guys,

I just called the local nissan dealership to ask service this question. The service techician that answered phone stated that the tire sensors do not have to be reset. This makes sense considering that when a tire is low on pressure the on board computer does not identify the actual tire that is low. I'm going to look for into this to be certian and let you know.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey man, where's my car?

i got my tire stem broken few weeks ago .... and had it replaced under warranty. they told me that stem comes with the sensor and had to be replaced too. and also told me wait few minutes cuz they are "celaring out" the TPMS light .... was that some sort of reset?

however it came back on last Monday, adjusted pressure to 32, still on .. then adjusted to 35 (actually 34). still on. im beginning to think that now the new sensor is faulty.

usually it should go off once you drove above 50 (not sure the speed) or something for few minutes right?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM

After i messed around with my wheels first TPSensor went on, then ABS.

Went to dealer with "i have no idea why it's on" face. They examined both, said it's def some electronics malfunction. They reset my TPsensor, ordered new ABS sensor. All for free, under warranty.

Funny thing is that my TPsensor went right back on very next morning.
As soon as they get the damn ABS sensor and i'll come in to replace it i'll let u know what they said about TP going on again.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM

From the service manual:

TIRE PRESSURE WARNING CHECK CONNECTOR
The tire pressure warning check connector can be grounded in order to initiate self-diagnosis without a CONSULT-III. The tire pressure warning check connector is located behind the lower portion of the instrument panel LH. Refer to PG-31, "Harness Layout".

SELF DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE (WITHOUT CONSULT-III)
Without CONSULT-III
To start the self-diagnostic results mode, ground terminal of the tire pressure warning check connector. The malfunction location is indicated by the warning lamp flashing.

The schematics are a bit sketchy and I have not been able to find the diagnostic connector on my Altima, although I have never really looked very hard.

Apparently, the TPMS system DOES keep track of which sensors are where because looking at all the fault codes, the system designates FL, FR, RL and RR sensors. When the transmitters are "woken up" initially, the service manual states to inflate the tires to the following pressures so the system will know which sensor is in which tire:

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 250 (2.5, 36)
Front RH 230 (2.3, 33)
Rear RH 210 (2.1, 30)
Rear LH 190 (1.9, 27)

and then drive at 25mph for "a few minutes".

Anyhow - I have rotated my tires myself 3 or 4 times now and have never had any problems with the TPMS.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:09 PM
It Rubs Lotion On Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_FTW View Post
From the service manual:

TIRE PRESSURE WARNING CHECK CONNECTOR
The tire pressure warning check connector can be grounded in order to initiate self-diagnosis without a CONSULT-III. The tire pressure warning check connector is located behind the lower portion of the instrument panel LH. Refer to PG-31, "Harness Layout".

SELF DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE (WITHOUT CONSULT-III)
Without CONSULT-III
To start the self-diagnostic results mode, ground terminal of the tire pressure warning check connector. The malfunction location is indicated by the warning lamp flashing.

The schematics are a bit sketchy and I have not been able to find the diagnostic connector on my Altima, although I have never really looked very hard.

Apparently, the TPMS system DOES keep track of which sensors are where because looking at all the fault codes, the system designates FL, FR, RL and RR sensors. When the transmitters are "woken up" initially, the service manual states to inflate the tires to the following pressures so the system will know which sensor is in which tire:

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 250 (2.5, 36)
Front RH 230 (2.3, 33)
Rear RH 210 (2.1, 30)
Rear LH 190 (1.9, 27)

and then drive at 25mph for "a few minutes".

Anyhow - I have rotated my tires myself 3 or 4 times now and have never had any problems with the TPMS.

WHAT??? Why aren't they all the same.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm sure it's to calibrate the computer so it knows which tire is located in which position on the car. After the system is "woke up", then the recommended air pressure is/should be put into each tire.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Anyhow - I have rotated my tires myself 3 or 4 times now and have never had any problems with the TPMS.[/quote]

So are you saying that you never had to reset the sensors? I would figure it would be fine considering the on board doesn't tell you which tire is low.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM

I have never reset anything. Of course, IF I did have trouble out of one of the sensors or low pressure, even though the dash information doesn't tell you which tire is at fault, the BCM does know ... just doesn't tell you unless you put it in diagnostic mode or go to the dealer.

Late,
Trav
Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll have to go back today and get the rotation done. I'll update this thread if there are any issues.

-wTo-
Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 PM

Two changeovers (changed tires on same OEM rims) and no problems. Reset not required. However, if you change to a different set of sensors, the TPMS system needs to be reset.

: 2007 Altima 2.5S CVT w/ Convenience Package : 2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon w/ Sport Package : 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race :
Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM

I think that the sequence given, and the different pressures, are so that the diagnostic/set-up tools will work right, and don't really affect the "in use" operation of the TPMS. I just had my tires rotated without any "reset", and others have had the same experience, and that seems to verify my guess. Also, I did a scan of the trouble codes, and I saw that there ARE specific codes for the individual wheels. (page WT-20 in the shop manual) So it might cause some confusion if you get a trouble code for something like a weak battery in a sensor. (C1724, for example) I'll take the risk of "confusion", to avoid paying an extra $80 every time the tires are rotated.
It's too bad that the diagnostic software can identify which transmitter is in which wheel, but it can't tell the owner which tire is low!

Last edited by Ormand; 06-19-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added last comment
Old 06-19-2008, 01:42 PM

I just had the tires rotated yesterday. The sensors do not have to be reset. I have had no problems since the rotation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.