LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Resale value with extremely high miles?

Hello,

I'm moving to Las Vegas and looking at 50 mile drive each way to work every day. I have always driven a lot (around 20,000 a year), and I'm doing the math and thinking by the time my 5 year car payment is over I'll have about 160,000 miles on my car!

I went to edmunds.com and priced out a 2002 Altima SE that is loaded like mine, and the mileage adjustment was just over $1800 and it was worth $8500.

That is better than I thought it was going to be. I was afraid it would destroy the value of my car. Does this check with you guys and does anyone have any inputs for high mileage?

Thank you

2008 Nissan Altima SE, Dark Slate, 35% tint, Code Alarm CA440TW Remote Start with CarLink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 AM
All Sho, No Go

dang that is a lot of miles!! gonna be spending quite a lot on gas.
unfortunately high mileage is a killer on the value.
#3 Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nissan vehicles are pretty reliable, and last a long time. I don't imagine high mileage hurting the resale value that much. not like does ford, GM, or Hyundai/KIA. I don't think 160k on a Nissan is a real big deal. at least it never has been for me.

1998 nissan 200sx se (daily driver)
2007 nissan altima 2.5s cvt (wife/family car)
2012 chevy camaro (weekend toy)
#4 Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey man, where's my car?

believe me, that millage wont harm in anyway. im talking about the motor reliability. my first was a nissan sentra - i think i did close to 300. it was a 1.6 inline 4! since you got a v6, a pretty good motor, you'll be fine.
#5 Old 09-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Driving costs a lot of money. The more you drive, the more you spend. No other way around this. More gas, more insurance, more car.

08 2.5SL CVT Super Black w/ alum kickplates
Mods:
5000k Xentec HID kit
32% front 22% back tint
Removed stock wind deflector
Future Mods:
3.5 Mirrors
iPod Adaptor
#6 Old 09-23-2008, 02:34 AM

Just don't forget to do your checks ups on such higher mileage car. you should worry about the car, when you re ready to sell it, otherwise enjoy driving it. For all you know, in 5 years, there will be cars that get really high MPG (Hybrids/electric/hydrogen) and your car along with many others will not be worth a lot. very similar to what is happening to SUV's/Trucks/Gas Guzzlers. Buying a car is "never" going to be an investment.

car history
1992 Toyota Corolla -->2002 Toyota Corolla -->2004 Toyota Camry 4cyl --> 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE CVT Radiant Silver/Winter Frost
#7 Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Forty-something MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qk4um8 View Post
Buying a car is "never" going to be an investment.
QFT.

. : The Rupp : .

.: 2007 3.5SE :: Precision Grey :: Sport Package :: CVT :: Höen Xenonmatch Plus Low Beams :. - Traded for:

.: 2008 3.5SE :: Dark Slate :: Premium Package :: CVT :: Garmin nüvi 350 Hardwire :: 20% Tint All Around :. - Gone

.: 2006 BMW 330i :: Sparkling Graphite :: Premium Package :: Sport Package :: 6MT :. - Sold

.: 2010 Scion tC :: Flint Mica :. - Sold

.: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco :: 6MT :. - Awaiting more LED's

LED: LED Thread :: Footwells & Cupholder :.
#8 Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 AM

(Thread Starter)
Well they are actually giving me $300 a month incentive pay, but in reality they should call it gasoline pay since that is where it is going.

I think in 2 or 3 years you will see hybrids/electric cars more mass produced, but I think my 2008 Altima took the biggest hit in value when I drove it off the lot... Also, not everyone is going to pay $35000 (minimum) for a Chevrolet volt and there are going to be people looking for cars under $10,000. And yes, a car is a very bad investment. I'm thinking this Altima will be my last brand new car.

2008 Nissan Altima SE, Dark Slate, 35% tint, Code Alarm CA440TW Remote Start with CarLink
#9 Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRupp View Post
QFT.
QFT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia FTW.

just my speculations: as we see now, big V8 cars are being sold off at unheard of discounts. yes maybe they were marked up 10-15k (Mostly american cars) but also Nissan/Toyota, but the point is people realize that that are alternatives which are also reliable cars. so in next decade V6 which are not making 35MPG, will also be dying off. It's official: Congress passes 35 mpg CAFE standard - AutoblogGreen

sorry to hijack this thread. resale value depends how it has faired Jdpower, consumerdigest, and Kbb recommendations. cars that have number of recalls, tend to be on a lower point.

car history
1992 Toyota Corolla -->2002 Toyota Corolla -->2004 Toyota Camry 4cyl --> 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE CVT Radiant Silver/Winter Frost
#10 Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qk4um8 View Post
QFT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia FTW.

just my speculations: as we see now, big V8 cars are being sold off at unheard of discounts. yes maybe they were marked up 10-15k (Mostly american cars) but also Nissan/Toyotas Parts, but the point is people realize that that are alternatives which are also reliable cars. so in next decade V6 which are not making 35MPG, will also be dying off. It's official: Congress passes 35 mpg CAFE standard - AutoblogGreen

sorry to hijack this thread. resale value depends how it has faired Jdpower, consumerdigest, and Kbb recommendations. cars that have number of recalls, tend to be on a lower point.
I never want to buy a cheap car just knowing at the end that's it was one of those recalled on the market.
#11 Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 AM

I just traded in my 02 altima with 120k miles. The car was in very good condition and I live in NJ. Bottom line, Nissan dealer was going to give me $2500 on a trade for either an altima or maxima since they said they couldn't get rid of the on the lot but whould whosale them. I went to a few used car dealers I found on creigs list that had cars similar to mine for 5-8k. The 5K cars were in bad shape and not well loaded and the 8k cars were similar to mine. Playing around, they were taking 2-3k off the 8k cars with just a little discussion, in articular when I asked if the v6 used regular or premium gas. Nissan is going to kill you on a trade. When I was looking for my new car and Nissan gave me the numbers, I decided to keep the car and run it into the ground for another year or two. When I was able to get a 2010 fusion sport at an X-plan price (Lower then dealer invoice and no dealer BS involved in the sale), $5k for my trade and another $1,500 cash back from ford, it was a deal I couldn't walk away from. A loaded fusion (not initially with navagation but with a free upgrade to sync 3 yesterday, I now have free navagation with door to door directions, traffic and weather, just no map) for almost $3k less then a altima 2.5sl at the nissan dealer.

I would think a fair trade to other then a nissan dealer would be about $4.5-5k
#12 Old 06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
ctc

Yeah once you cross 100K the dealers are going try and totally screw you on your trade-in value. Like pcsgrp said, they'll say they have to wholesale it and that's the best price they can give you. If you pass 100K, plan on either selling it private party or spending a significant amount of time haggling with the dealer for trade-in value.

08 Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 6MT, Precision Gray, Sport Package
#13 Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 PM

Are Altimas dont hold there value anyway so.....
#14 Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistadee View Post
Are Altimas dont hold there value anyway so.....
is that a question or a statement? my guess it's a statement with "our" misspelled.

2007 infiniti fx35, 2008 mercury mariner hybrid
nissan factory shop manuals
#15 Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM
B15

I personally don't really worry about resale, especially on a vehicle with >100k miles, it won't be much anyways.

2010 370z- Sport/Touring/Nav/6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode