TPMS Light Won't Go Off - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TPMS Light Won't Go Off

today my TPMS light has gone off and i filled the tires up to 37 psi and turned the car off. i turned it back on and the light was still there. it didn't flash on and off like the manual said it would if there is a malfunction

what do you think the problem is

has this happened to you before

i want to see what you guys thinks before i contact the dealership, cause i dont want to go there

For Sale
Brand New Stillen Front
Upper & Lower Billet Grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 AM
ΣД ∞ ∏ﮟ╬z

I think you have to drive a few miles, for the sensor to re-synchronize.
#3 Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Registered Abuser

Wow. Mine came on today as well (first time). Coincidence?

2000 Nissan Altima SE - 5-spd Manual
2008 Nissan Altima 3.5SE - ∞-spd CVT
#4 Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 AM

Take it on the highway and cruise for a few. It'll turn off.

'07 3.5SE 6mt black/black cloth, sport pckge
'86 300ZX black/grey leather, electronic dash
#5 Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
bleeds Black & Gold

haha...mine came on yesterday morning as well...it was 32 degrees when i left for work and i stopped a couple miles down the road and checked my pressure. it was well over 35 for all the tires. the front ones looked a little low, so i threw some more air in them (what ever happened to free air btw.....75 cents for 2 mins of air!!! i mean come on.). i filled the front tires to about 40 and drove off. the light still didnt go off, so i just figured i would deal with it after work. after driving a few miles after work, the light still didnt go off, so i stopped to get some gas and once again headed over to air pump, after checking all the tires and finding out that they were all still the same psi as this morning when i checked, i thought to myself....my front tires are about 40psi....maybe thats too much, so i let some air out of both my front 2 tires and got them to about 35-37 and got in my car and drove off. sure enough after a few feet, the light went off.

im not sure what caused the light to come on yesterday morning, but it seemed as though when i let some air out, that worked.

#6 Old 10-21-2008, 02:14 PM

The sensors in the wheels use simple on/off switches- they are NOT sensitived to pressure being "too high". And as Almaguer says, you have to drive for a while after adding air for the system to work, and turn off the warning light. As it says in my owners manual, "the vehicle must be driven over 16 MPH to activate the TPMS". It is not unusual for the light to come on when the weather turns cold. Any moisture in the air filling the tire can condense, and that will cause a pressure drop much larger than you would get just from the change in temp (Pv=RT) and the gas laws. In the case of Bina12834 (bbk?) he had not driven long enough for the system to work, than he let air out, but not so much as to get below the set point of the switch. If he'd driven the car longer withouth letting air out, the light would have gone off anyway. The second adjustment to air pressure had NOTHING to dow the the light going off.

2007 3.5SE
Winter Frost

Last edited by Ormand; 10-21-2008 at 02:16 PM.
#7 Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 PM
SpeedLinesAreChasingMe!

mine also went off yesterday...all my tires were at 26.5 to 29.0. filled them up to 32 as per the door sticker for my contentials, and they are all 30 or 29.5 this morning. it took a few miles for the TPMS sensor to reset.

had no idea what the symbol was at first and had to pull over.

08 Altima 4dr 3.5 SL CVT - Precision Gray w/ Charcoal Int. - Fully loaded
Mods: {WeatherTech mats}{28% tint}{Brazillan back w/ hamburger}{OEM Chrome Altima plate holder}{Bat's rear variance}{Stillen Rear Swaybar}{Injen Intake}{Black Depo tails}{Raceingline strut towerbar}{custom grounding kit}{Nissan Black painted OEM grill}{paint-matched fiberglass eyelids}{Raceingline Y-pipe]{Eibach Pro Springs}
#8 Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Shaving My Shoulders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
For these safety and environmental reasons, the US Federal government has mandated the use of TPMS
Too bad....

TPMS = more trouble than it's worth (for people like myself who checks both of our vehicle's tire pressure at least once a week, let alone a visual everytime I drive)...Having a fleet of 1/2 dozen vehicles (2 of which are large truck mounted drill rigs with dually's) to check regularly helps me stay on top of it as well though.

TPMS may help out the ones who don't know shit about maintaining air pressure, but as far as I am concerned, glad I don't have it on any of our vehicles. Will suck when I have to purchase again in a few years...

|2005 3.5SE|HEAVILY MODDED |

Last edited by RIZAMAN; 10-21-2008 at 02:52 PM.
#9 Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM

My question is why are you filling your tires so high??? You realize its bad to drive with over inflated tires just like it is to drive with under inflated tires. Try adjusting the pressure to match what the sticker says in your driver door and it will probabaly go off.

2007 3.5SE CVT, Premium Package, 15% Tint, Majestic Blue.
Mods - Fujita SRI, Racingline Y-pipe, Racingline Grounding Wire Kit, Racingline Strut Tower Bar, custom catback exhaust with 2 Borla Thumpers, Bullydog Triple Dog GT.
Tires - Goodyear Eagle GT 225/55-17
#10 Old 10-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZAMAN View Post
TPMS = more trouble than it's worth
Word. From what I understand you can get false readings simply from one tire rotating a little faster/slower than the other as well. My Buick Regal GS had a TPMS and after spirited driving it would turn on simply due to tire spin.

I drive 2000 miles a month and keep a watchful eye on tire pressure as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1809
You realize its bad to drive with over inflated tires just like it is to drive with under inflated tires. Try adjusting the pressure to match what the sticker says in your driver door and it will probabaly go off.
you speak the truth!
#11 Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 PM

I've never paid any attention when I was checking mine but if the spare tire has a TPM it could be low.

2007 Altima 2.5S CVT
Dark Slate / Charcoal
#12 Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 PM
enlighten me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaks2k View Post
Word. From what I understand you can get false readings simply from one tire rotating a little faster/slower than the other as well. My Buick Regal GS had a TPMS and after spirited driving it would turn on simply due to tire spin.
Not with Nissan vehicles. GM (and some other mfr.'s) uses abs sensors to tell if one wheel is spinning slower than the others to trip the tpms light, Nissan uses pressure sensors in the wheels.
#13 Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
changeyour|gameplan

The spare is not pressure monitored, at least in the Altima. Mine went off two days ago as well, since the temps are dropping at night those whose pressure is borderline will be lower in the cold. You have to drive a while for it to go off.

'13 Slate SV 3.5 | '12 Silver SR |'09 3.5SE Coupe Azure | '07 2.5SL Loaded Slate |'05 SE-R (crashed) | '05 SE pewter |'02 SE pewter | '02 SE super black
#14 Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
enlighten me

I forgot to mention mine came on last week also, but went off again the next day after I filled them all up to 32 psi. The last time it came on, it took over 3 days to go off.
#15 Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Forty-something MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmann View Post
Not with Nissan vehicles. GM (and some other mfr.'s) uses abs sensors to tell if one wheel is spinning slower than the others to trip the tpms light, Nissan uses pressure sensors in the wheels.
I like how in the trip computer you can show the individual tire pressures. Acura/Honda started doing that this year as well.

I also have a TPMS light on my dash, and all my tire pressures are normal. It hasn't exactly been cold here, either. I didn't have this problem when it was -12 living in IL, so I don't see why I'd start now.

Solid, not flashing btw.

. : The Rupp : .

.: 2007 3.5SE :: Precision Grey :: Sport Package :: CVT :: Hen Xenonmatch Plus Low Beams :. - Traded for:

.: 2008 3.5SE :: Dark Slate :: Premium Package :: CVT :: Garmin nvi 350 Hardwire :: 20% Tint All Around :. - Gone

.: 2006 BMW 330i :: Sparkling Graphite :: Premium Package :: Sport Package :: 6MT :. - Sold

.: 2010 Scion tC :: Flint Mica :. - Sold

.: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco :: 6MT :. - Awaiting more LED's

LED: LED Thread :: Footwells & Cupholder :.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode