What the heck does this mean? - Page 3 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
 
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center


NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM
TheRupp's Avatar
Forty-something MPG
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,759
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormand View Post
You sure the fob is constantly transmitting? I thought it was always receiving, not transmitting- but I'm not sure. That way it would still use some power, but not as much. My understanding is that when you try to unlock the doors,the car sends out a question. "Ikey, are you here?" If it gets the right answer, it will allow the door to unlock, or the starter to work, or whatever. It may be the other way around, though, that the car looks for signal broadcast by the key. I looked in the shop manual, briefly, but didn't see a good description of how the ikey works. I've had mine since Feb of '07, and the only time I replaced the batteries was when I got the new keys on the recall. But I don't use the buttons on the fob very often.
I thought the opposite myself, since the batteries seem to die a LOT faster than any conventional remote. I know this is how it works in the Lexus, but it's hard to say with the Nissan/Infiniti. I'm thinking you might be right since I'm pretty sure that flashing red light on the dashboard is an "are you there?" to the iKey from the car.
__________________
. : The Rupp : .



.: 2007 3.5SE :: Precision Grey :: Sport Package :: CVT :: Hen Xenonmatch Plus Low Beams :. - Traded for:

.: 2008 3.5SE :: Dark Slate :: Premium Package :: CVT :: Garmin nvi 350 Hardwire :: 20% Tint All Around :. - Gone

.: 2006 BMW 330i :: Sparkling Graphite :: Premium Package :: Sport Package :: 6MT :. - Sold

.: 2010 Scion tC :: Flint Mica :. - Sold

.: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco :: 6MT :. - Awaiting more LED's

LED: LED Thread :: Footwells & Cupholder :.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormand View Post
You sure the fob is constantly transmitting? I thought it was always receiving, not transmitting- but I'm not sure. That way it would still use some power, but not as much. My understanding is that when you try to unlock the doors,the car sends out a question. "Ikey, are you here?" If it gets the right answer, it will allow the door to unlock, or the starter to work, or whatever. It may be the other way around, though, that the car looks for signal broadcast by the key. I looked in the shop manual, briefly, but didn't see a good description of how the ikey works. I've had mine since Feb of '07, and the only time I replaced the batteries was when I got the new keys on the recall. But I don't use the buttons on the fob very often.
I have no idea... I was just trying to say its not like a conventional key fob that only does something when you actually press a button... regardless of whether it is transmitting or receiving, its doing something even if you're not pressing a button...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 12:34 AM
TA^Guy's Avatar
MiniTrucker
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotia NY
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihaby View Post
why does you Altima redline at 6k?!
Because it's a 2.5
__________________
John - ClubECM.com
'01 Xtreme- '02 Sentra SER SpecV- '08 Altima 2.5SL- '05 Yamaha R1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Dexion's Avatar
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pomona, NY
Posts: 2,785
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
I think its a combination of both, the car and Ikey are communicating or attempting to communicate with each other 24/7 or so I've heard. Even while you're sleeping the car is still sending signals to the fob. When you hit the button on the door handle, the car pretty much does what Ormand illustrated in his post.

When you hit a button on the fob I think its more like Fob: "hey car its me, open up". If the fob is asking from to far of a distance than the car rejects the signal and won't open.

I think this is the reason they die so fast compared to a normal key fob's battery.

I always thought that red flashing light was the immobilizer however.
__________________
2004 2.5S 10/24/2006 -10/20/2007
2007 3.5SE 6-speed 10/20/2007~
Mods: Fujita WAI | DDM Tuning Slim 35W 6000K H11's | Nismo Catback exhaust | Racingline Y-pipe
Current track data: 60' 2.332 1/4 mile 14.276@100mph
4/24/2009
252fwhp & 230lb-ft torque - more accurate

----

Last edited by Dexion; 11-26-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 PM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexion View Post
I think its a combination of both, the car and Ikey are communicating or attempting to communicate with each other 24/7 or so I've heard. Even while you're sleeping the car is still sending signals to the fob. When you hit the button on the door handle, the car pretty much does what Ormand illustrated in his post.

When you hit a button on the fob I think its more like Fob: "hey car its me, open up". If the fob is asking from to far of a distance than the car rejects the signal and won't open.

I think this is the reason they die so fast compared to a normal key fob's battery.

I always thought that red flashing light was the immobilizer however.
Almost there. From what I've seen/experienced/read/etc... the car and key are not communicating 24x7. They are listening for the other 24x7 [which is why the battery on the fob dies quicker than a standard remote]. They just not talking until an action takes place like pressing a button on the door, remote, pushing the start button, or closing the door/trunk. Once an action has been manually started, then the conversation between the car and key begins. If there was constant communication, there would be a way for the car to sense the key upon approach and there isn't.

~SB
__________________
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2007 Frost White Altima 3.5SE: Sedan with Fogs & Wing. - AVG MPG: 26.41 @ 29,246mi Best tank 566Mi. (Traded @ 30K Miles)
Former/Current Cars: '86 Prelude Si. 2.0 | '93 Integra GS | '98 Civic EX | '00 Integra GS-R | '06 Ridgeline RTS | 07 Altima 3.5SE


It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 AM
ΣД ∞ ∏ﮟ╬z
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 429
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBGOBLIN View Post
We have two 2007 Altimas and still have the original batteries in the fobs after 2 years. Really strange that the batteries in some fobs go dead in a few months.
its been a year so far with my original fob battery

i rarely use the buttons on it though i.e lock/unlock/trunk open

i lock it from the inside, unlock with the door button, and use the button on the trunk to open it.

What im getting at is; I wonder if this has any effect on preserving the batterys life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 AM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaguer View Post
its been a year so far with my original fob battery

i rarely use the buttons on it though i.e lock/unlock/trunk open

i lock it from the inside, unlock with the door button, and use the button on the trunk to open it.

What im getting at is; I wonder if this has any effect on preserving the batterys life.
Doubtful. When you press the button on the outside of the car it transmits to the fob that is listening for a signal from the car and then transmits a return signal. It's really no different than initiating the transmit from the key fob by pressing the button on the remote. in both cases, the fob is listening for a signal (only one scenario hears the signal). also in both cases, the fob transmits a signal back to the car. I don't see why it would use more in one scenario vs another.

~SB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Yep. I got the same warning this week too on the fob I use every day. The battery lasted 16 months. Funny thing... if there is all this "fob-jabber" going on shouldn't the extra fob that has been hanging in the house doing nothing also be just about shot too? I don't think it is. It is putting out well over 3 volts. Go figure. The fob I use daily, the one that pooped out, had worn itself down from an original 3.3 volts (give or take) to 2.7 volts.
__________________
Ted
Bellbrook, Oh.

2.5 SL, loaded
Stock
Born 7/7/07
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2008, 02:11 AM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by compyelc4 View Post
Yep. I got the same warning this week too on the fob I use every day. The battery lasted 16 months. Funny thing... if there is all this "fob-jabber" going on shouldn't the extra fob that has been hanging in the house doing nothing also be just about shot too? I don't think it is. It is putting out well over 3 volts. Go figure. The fob I use daily, the one that pooped out, had worn itself down from an original 3.3 volts (give or take) to 2.7 volts.
The unused fob should last a fair amount longer. transmission of signal usually takes a decent amount more power than reception of signal. The unused fob is just listening for a signal.

~SB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Understandable and logical Specboy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
I know this thread has fallen off the list a bit but it seems to be the best one about the question I have.

The low keyfob battery warning light came on. I went in the house and got the second keyfob that had not been used since we bought the car. It had been just sitting on the desk. The low battery light stayed on.

So I figured that both of them ran down at the same rate because they are always "active".

I bought a battery and installed it and the low battery light is still on!

I know the simplest explaination would be that the battery I bought was already low. I used latex gloves when putting in the new battery so I wouldn't drain any of the charge through my fat fingers.

Is it possible that there is a sensor problem that makes the car THINK that the keyfob batteries are low when they really aren't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2009, 03:20 AM
xeene's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: walled lake, mi
Posts: 3,317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
iTrader: 1 reviews
have you driven the car after changing key fob and batteries?
__________________
2007 infiniti fx35, 2008 mercury mariner hybrid
nissan factory shop manuals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Yeah we've driven it quite a bit. I was making the asumption from the postings here that it wasn't a warning light that needed to be reset. It seemed like when other people changed batteries it just went off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Did you have Both Fobs with you when you started the car? (could it be possible that it picked up the wrong Fob?)

Along these lines, what happens when the battery fails for those people with remote car starters who have the extra key up behind the dash?

~SB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
No I left the second fob in the house and only took out the one with the new battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.