Denso Oil Filters - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 PM
2008 Altima Coupe Owner

Denso Oil Filters

What do the "experts" out there think about Denso oil filters? I've spent quite a bit of time searching the forums and haven't found much information on them. When it comes to filters, a lot of folks seem to go with genuine Nissan OEM filters. In one thread I found mention that Denso is one of the two manufacturers of the OEM filters.

I'm nearing 10,000 miles on my Altima coupe and about to do my second oil change. I'm running 6,000 mile intervals with full synthetic oil. I have a Mobil 1 M1-108 filter on there right now. I've been running K&N HP-1010 filters on our other vehicle. I've never heard anything negative about Mobil 1 or K&N filters other than them being a bit costly.

Other considerations would be Wix or Bosch filters. My local parts store was selling the Bosch filters for $3 and I've been putting those on my mother-in-law's Honda Civic.

I have a lead where I might be able to get some Denso filters cheap or even free. That's why I'm asking about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 03:49 PM

I just posted pics of the OEM filter cut open. Not good. Check it out.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:16 PM

Go to this link:

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Powered by Motor Oil

Has a lot of good information!

2007 FX35
Autumn Copper
Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM

ctc,
Do you base your opinion that the factory Nissan oil filter is "not good" because it is small, or is it because of the cardboard end caps?.

Has anyone seen or heard of OEM Nissan filters failing, and destroying engines?

I have an 07 3.5 SE, with 25K miles. I have used OEM filters, 5W-30 dino oil, oil and filter changed every 5K. No problems, no noise at start up. Should I continue to use OEM Nissan filters?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
ctc,
Do you base your opinion that the factory Nissan oil filter is "not good" because it is small, or is it because of the cardboard end caps?.

Has anyone seen or heard of OEM Nissan filters failing, and destroying engines?

I have an 07 3.5 SE, with 25K miles. I have used OEM filters, 5W-30 dino oil, oil and filter changed every 5K. No problems, no noise at start up. Should I continue to use OEM Nissan filters?
My opinion is based on quality of materials. Which is more likely to fall apart? Cardboard or metal?

I'm only aware of 2 oil filter manufacturers that use cardboard end caps. Denso and Fram. All others use metal and Fram uses metal in their top tier filter.

You should choose your filter based on build quality and filter media. I'm not going to recommend one filter over another but in my opinion I'd steer clear of cardboard end caps.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Laces out Dan

Denso makes quality oil filters. Toyota owns Denso, but they still make filters for all makes. Most of the oil filter production is in Thailand now. The part number for our car is 150-1009 or 150-1008 for the smaller size.

Denso cut away
Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklejag View Post
Denso makes quality oil filters. Toyota owns Denso, but they still make filters for all makes. Most of the oil filter production is in Thailand now. The part number for our car is 150-1009 or 150-1008 for the smaller size.

Denso cut away
The cutaway on their site only shows what they want you to see. Cut one open yourself and let us know.

Anyway, they are the alleged manufacturer of the Nissan OEM filter I cut open.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 PM
2008 Altima Coupe Owner

Looking at ctc's pictures in the bobistheoilguy.com thread (Nissan OEM Factory Filter 15208-65F0D cut open - Bob Is The Oil Guy), that's the exact same factory filter that I pulled off my 2008 Altima coupe during it's first oil change. (The part number matches.) The cardboard end caps remind me of a Fram. Yuck!

Question... how can anyone be certain that filter is made by DENSO and not Shanghai MorningStar Auto Fixture Corp., Ltd. which I've read is the other company that manufacturers filters for Nissan?

The pictures of a DENSO filter at http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id13.html don't show cardboard endcaps. Neither does the picture at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...so150-1004.jpg.

As for the DENSO filters, can someone confirm the correct part number? If I do a part number cross-reference search (DENSO Aftermarket: - Automobile Car Parts) on M1-108, it returns both 150-1008 and 150-1011. If I do a search against M1-110 (the longer filter), I get both 150-1009 and 150-1010. If I get the equivalent of an M1-110, I can use it on both my 2008 Altima coupe as well as my wife's vehicle, which works better when getting filters in bulk. I just don't get why there's two part numbers listed for each. How do they differ? I haven't been able to locate any specs.

Last edited by barlowc; 02-24-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowc View Post
Looking at ctc's pictures in the bobistheoilguy.com thread (Nissan OEM Factory Filter 15208-65F0D cut open - Bob Is The Oil Guy), that's the exact same factory filter that I pulled off my 2008 Altima coupe during it's first oil change. (The part number matches.) The cardboard end caps remind me of a Fram. Yuck!

Question... how can anyone be certain that filter is made by DENSO and not Shanghai MorningStar Auto Fixture Corp., Ltd. which I've read is the other company that manufacturers filters for Nissan?

The pictures of a DENSO filter at Denso 150-1014 Oil Filter don't show cardboard endcaps. Neither does the picture at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...so150-1004.jpg.

As for the DENSO filters, can someone confirm the correct part number? If I do a part number cross-reference search (DENSO Aftermarket: - Automobile Car Parts) on M1-108, it returns both 150-1008 and 150-1011. If I do a search against M1-110 (the longer filter), I get both 150-1009 and 150-1010. If I get the equivalent of an M1-110, I can use it on both my 2008 Altima coupe as well as my wife's vehicle, which works better when getting filters in bulk. I just don't get why there's two part numbers listed for each. How do they differ? I haven't been able to locate any specs.
I don't think there is a way to tell. If I were to buy a Denso filter I would cut it open and see what it is made of. Just my opinion.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:20 PM
2008 Altima Coupe Owner

DENSO filter 150-1009 cross references to Nissan part number 15208-65F00. Notice the last character is a "0" versus "D" like the one you cut open. I wonder if that difference has to do with whether it was a filter manufactured/supplied by DENSO versus Shanghai MorningStar Auto Fixture Corp., Ltd? Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
DENSO filter 150-1009 cross references to Nissan part number 15208-65F00. Notice the last character is a "0" versus "D" like the one you cut open. I wonder if that difference has to do with whether it was a filter manufactured/supplied by DENSO versus Shanghai MorningStar Auto Fixture Corp., Ltd? Just a thought.
I noticed that part # discrepancy as well. I was thinking it was because it was a factory installed filter? Dunno...
Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 AM
2008 Altima Coupe Owner

Apparently the 15208-65F00 filters say Made in Japan, whereas the 15208-65F0D ones say Made in China. That really makes me believe the 15208-65F00's are the DENSO ones and the 15208-65F0D's are from that other Chinese supplier/manufacturer.

ctc, I see in the pictures where you cut open the factory filter a PureOne PL14610 for comparison. How's that filter working for you? I just found two-packs of them on Amazon.com for $9.48 and if you spend $25 or more, you get free shipping. I may just stock up and buy three pairs (i.e. six filters) which would cost me only $4.74 per filter. That seems like a pretty good deal for PureOne filters.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Not on a power trip

I think some of you are over-thinking this oil filter "issue". If cardboard wasn't sufficient, and thus led to engine failures, don't you think the manufacturers would stop using it? Bottom line is that cardboard works. Change your oil and filter regularly, and your engine is gonna last a loooong time. Here is my own personal experience I posted on another thread about oil filters:

"My Dad has been using Fram filters since the 60's and I've been using them since the early 90's. Neither one of us has had an engine fail due to insufficiently filtered oil. I would say that Fram and OEM filters are AT LEAST adequate. Regular oil and filter changes is the best recipe for long engine life. I bought a 1994 Sentra brand new, and I changed the oil and filter regularly. I put 170,000 miles on it, and it didn't burn or leak oil. That was a combination of OEM and Fram filters, and mostly Quaker State or Castrol regular oil. If that isn't proof enough that these filter are working or not, I don't know what is.

If you desire more peace of mind, get the Purolator, Wix, or K&N filters. Those are a little more money and might be a little harder to find depending where you live."
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Apparently the 15208-65F00 filters say Made in Japan, whereas the 15208-65F0D ones say Made in China. That really makes me believe the 15208-65F00's are the DENSO ones and the 15208-65F0D's are from that other Chinese supplier/manufacturer.

ctc, I see in the pictures where you cut open the factory filter a PureOne PL14610 for comparison. How's that filter working for you? I just found two-packs of them on Amazon.com for $9.48 and if you spend $25 or more, you get free shipping. I may just stock up and buy three pairs (i.e. six filters) which would cost me only $4.74 per filter. That seems like a pretty good deal for PureOne filters.
Yeah, if someone wants to cut open a 15208-65F00 I'd be interested in seeing the inside but I'm not going to spend money on it.

I got my pureones from Amazon. It is a good deal. At Advance Auto they are about $6 each. I've been using purolators for quite a while and like them.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster289 View Post
I think some of you are over-thinking this oil filter "issue". If cardboard wasn't sufficient, and thus led to engine failures, don't you think the manufacturers would stop using it? Bottom line is that cardboard works. Change your oil and filter regularly, and your engine is gonna last a loooong time. Here is my own personal experience I posted on another thread about oil filters:

"My Dad has been using Fram filters since the 60's and I've been using them since the early 90's. Neither one of us has had an engine fail due to insufficiently filtered oil. I would say that Fram and OEM filters are AT LEAST adequate. Regular oil and filter changes is the best recipe for long engine life. I bought a 1994 Sentra brand new, and I changed the oil and filter regularly. I put 170,000 miles on it, and it didn't burn or leak oil. That was a combination of OEM and Fram filters, and mostly Quaker State or Castrol regular oil. If that isn't proof enough that these filter are working or not, I don't know what is.

If you desire more peace of mind, get the Purolator, Wix, or K&N filters. Those are a little more money and might be a little harder to find depending where you live."
From my OEM filter thread:

The bottom line is that cardboard is cheaper than metal. The manufacturers that use cardboard are using it to save money. I would say 90% of the filters out there have metal end caps.

The info is yours to do with as you please. Make your own decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.