CVT fluid - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 02:20 AM

CVT fluid

Today I took my 2007 Altima to get an oil change at the dealer. I asked them to change the transmission fluid. Long-story-short, they said the fluid in the trans was red and supposed to be green. I don't know how long it has been like this. This is the first time I've known of it. How bad is this? Is the transmission now ruined? How long will it last? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 AM
The love maker.

As far as i know, its sapposed to be a bright red...When its brown, thats when you need it changed.

i think you need to stay away from wherever you took it...
Eibach Pro Kit
Old 03-03-2009, 02:51 AM
LOL AWD

Your dealer sounds like it has a bunch of monkeys in the service department. Nissan CVT takes Nissan(Idemitsu iirc) ATF afaik which is in fact red, kinda like cough syrup. If it looks red it means it's still nice, clean and healthy. How many miles on the car? You should not need to worry about it until 30K or so, at which point I would do a flush personally.
Do NOT use anything other than OEM fluid. It WILL cause you problems. The CVT tranny is NOT cheap to fix. Stick with Nissan OEM.
They probably confused your ATF with your coolant or something. Go back, tell them they are idiots and find yourself another dealership. They would probably flush your tranny with whatever cheap ATF they will have, especially if the dealer is a joint dealership (if for example they sell Ford cars as well, they'll flush your tranny with Ford OEM crap. Fail)

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo

Last edited by fishbone; 03-03-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 AM

It has 30k miles as of last month. The place I took it to is also a Ford dealer. So green is bad then? This is a CVT transmission. The fluid costs a ton of money. Like 120 bucks in fluid alone. I'm going to take it back tomorrow and get it checked out.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM

take it to nissan dealer, they'll scan it with consult and probably tell you it's as good as new.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
It has 30k miles as of last month. The place I took it to is also a Ford dealer. So green is bad then? This is a CVT transmission. The fluid costs a ton of money. Like 120 bucks in fluid alone. I'm going to take it back tomorrow and get it checked out.
Strange....the fluid in my 08 is clear.....I have some Nissan NS-2 replacement fluid coming to me in a day or two I will see what color that is....
Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 AM
LOL AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
Good sir, a failed,neglected CVT is several thousand dollars. $120 is chump change. Again, at no point will the fluid be green. If your fluid is clean, it should not need replacement.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:17 PM

Update... I just called five different Nissan dealers. They all told me that the one and only part number for genuine Nissan CVT fluid comes out of their bottle as GREEN. I didn't tell them what color mine was I only asked, "What color is CVT fluid?" Maybe it came from the factory with red??? I also didn't mention that I had them replace it with the green. I will be calling Nissan consumer affairs as soon as possible. I am now rather confused.

Last edited by marbleman; 03-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Sonoma 2.5SL ~ My Garage

find another dealer if you're in a metroplex area. unless you're racing or pulling loads, you prolly don't need fluid changed yet. isn't the change interval 60k miles?

'07 Sonoma Sunset 2.5 SL CVT Blonde & Loaded
Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
LOL AWD

If consumer affairs confirms it, then it means that the CVT unit uses green fluid which is of different spec than the ATF for the traditional geared unit. Most likely it is green so that dealers don't mix them up. If consumer affairs confirms it then it means everything I wrote so far is wrong and I learned a new thing.

If your fluid is red and it is in fact supposed to be green, then I wonder why you ended up with the wrong-spec ATF. Did you ever have it serviced since you bought it? It is also worth checking to see if Nissan didn't change the ATF coloration since the CVT Altima has come out. That's a possibility.

Maybe more CVT users should chime in on this with their color.

Last edited by fishbone; 03-03-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
Your dealer sounds like it has a bunch of monkeys in the service department. Nissan CVT takes Nissan(Idemitsu iirc) ATF afaik which is in fact red, kinda like cough syrup. If it looks red it means it's still nice, clean and healthy. How many miles on the car? You should not need to worry about it until 30K or so, at which point I would do a flush personally.
Do NOT use anything other than OEM fluid. It WILL cause you problems. The CVT tranny is NOT cheap to fix. Stick with Nissan OEM.
They probably confused your ATF with your coolant or something. Go back, tell them they are idiots and find yourself another dealership. They would probably flush your tranny with whatever cheap ATF they will have, especially if the dealer is a joint dealership (if for example they sell Ford cars as well, they'll flush your tranny with Ford OEM crap. Fail)
Fishbone, you really should try to know the facts before you post. The CVT fluid is NOT the same as regular ATF. If you read the owners manual, or the service manual, you will find that out. I haven't looked at mine, but there is a description in WikiAnswers that the fluid is "often dyed green for sale to the public". On the other hand, there are many posts that describe it as being tan, so maybe the green was for the early CVT in the Murano. (that was NS-1, Altima uses NS-2) There is a sticker under the hood that warns of using other ATFs, which can damage the transmission. Sounds like this service guy was at least a little confused.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
LOL AWD

^See my reply above.
What I'm curious about is how opie ended up with cherry colored ATF if he supposedly never had it serviced. Also, the ATF formula can very well be different and still have the same color. Case in point how various OEM tranny manufacturers use various-spec ATF yet most if not all are still cough-syrup colored. I already knew the CVT tranny uses a different spec ATF but I was always under the impression it is of the same color
Since CVT can very well be killed in short order by the wrong-spec ATF I can definitely see why they would use a different dye.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 PM

I've made many phone calls this morning and I am now sure that the CVT fluid is green. Please have an open mind about this. I would also encourage all who have this tranny to check your fluid and make sure you're running the right stuff.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM
LOL AWD

so marbleman, what color is yours then?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 PM

With all the hype going on now I checked mine again and it is clear to a slight hint of tan color. My car has over 30k and I bought it new and never had the tranny serviced. My cars build date was 12/07.

Tonight i'm supposed to get a delivery of genuine Nissan cvt fluid to do a change. I will post later what color the fluid is..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.