Trunk lock - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trunk lock

I just got the new 3.5L altima se and like it quite a bit. I probably need a geek squad for my car because the learning curve is a little steep. The trunk perplexes me. I read through the manual but I don't think it makes much sense. I know there's a switch in the glove compartment that locks down the trunk so you can only open it with a key fob. If I use the automatic key to open or use the latch inside the car to open the trunk and close it again, it doesn't lock by itself. It seems I would have to use the switch inside the glove box to lock it. Is this right? Is there any way to have the trunk lock every time you shut the trunk instead of having to go inside the glove box? Thanks everybody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM

well first off welcome to the forum. second, yes you can have the trunk lock every time you shut it. thats how it should be. the switch in the glove box only locks it once the trunk is closed. the switch will not close or do anything to the trunk if its open. there is no need to lock the trunk from opening every time. its plenty locked as is. the lock is only there to prevent valet or any unwanted people going into the trunk if they have a valet key.

http://www.facebook.com/KMCustomVinyl

:: 2008 SBP SRT8 Charger Super Bee :: #614/1000 :: took delivery with 1024 miles on the clock :: tints all around :: LEDs :: MyGig Lockpick :: hidden front and rear cameras ::

soon= digital gauges, exhaust, mids, and tuner

Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks Kev for responding and for the warm welcome. I still don't know what I did to the car because everytime I shut the trunk, it can be opened again with the trunk handle even though I have not unlocked it again. Any idea on how that can be remedied or the car miraculously sense my key within a certain number of feet, but I doubt if it's that fancy. Maybe the lock is not working properly?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:01 PM

did u ever try unlocking it without the keyfob next to u cause that wat really keeps the trunk unlocked when the keyfob is around the trunk area
Old 05-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Blackmobile

i don't think you understand how that lock in the glove box works.

if you do NOT have the glove box swith on lock, then you can open and close the trunk as you please. the trunk has a sensor that will detect if the fob is close enough, so that when you're next to it you can open it without using fob button or the trunk latch on the dashboard.

if you lock it in the glove box, then you will not be able to open the trunk with the fob or with the latch on the dashboard. the only way you can open the trunk is if you go back into the glove box and unlock the trunk.

this way, if you give someone else your car and don't want them to get into you trunk, then you go into the glove box, lock the trunk, then lock the glove box with your key, and then give whoever it is the fob and not they key. then they won't be able to open your trunk. hope that's clear. and enjoy the new car!

2008 2.5S Coupe Super Black purchased 07/15/08

Debadged | White & Blue LED's | 20/35 Tint | Tinted Tails | Lip Spoiler
DDM 6000k HID's | Autopia Fogs | Blue Footwell lights | Razo RA96 Shift Knob
Racingline RSB, FSB, Sorth Throw Shifter, Grounding Kit, & Rear Endlinks
19" G35 Forged Ray's wrapped in Potenza RE050A
Old 05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
2010 Nissan Of The Year!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your Key fob activates the portion of the car wherever your standing as long as the key is on you. For instance if you are at the driver side of the car only that door can be opened and locked with the rubber button and the passenger side and trunk can not be opened. If you are near the trunk of the car then the trunk becomes activated and you can access it with the button under the near the license plate on the right side all the while the driver and passenger side of the car is not activated. If you were on the passenger side then you can lock and unlock the passenger door but no one can lock or unlock the driver side or trunk unless you are near that part of the car. The key fob is VERY intelligent as they call it the I-Key. Start your car and throw your keys inside the car with the windows up and shut the doors. Then try pushing the black button. It won't lock your car doors because it senses the keys inside the car and your trying to lock it from the outside and not the inside of the car. Now turn your car off hold the i-key out the window about 5 inches away and see if you can start the car. It shouldn't start because the key is not really inside the car. The I-key will detect when its outside the window. Play around with the car and you will be amazed. Welcome to the forums by the way. Sounded like you had a dead beat salesman that didn't give you a good walk around after purchasing the car. I use to sell Nissans and sold during the first year the New Altima came out all the way until the first 3 weeks the Rogue came out which is when I quit. I knew my product very well since I am Nissan fanatic for like my whole life.

Last edited by 07 Winterfrost 3.5 SE; 05-13-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM

Thank you very much for clarifying the lock situation winterfrost. The key is definately smarter than I am. Your post clarified things about locking the car, which I had no idea. I will have to play with it. I'm going to go and try it now. Yes, my salesman was a deadbeat, he really didn't know about the car and I had to learn a lot of things the hard way, which was stressful. Starting the ignition was one thing, apparently you have to put your foot on the brake before pressing the ignition button. dah. Thanks for the warm welcome and help from you folks. I think if I bought a fancier car, I would not be able to drive it home. My last car was 8 years ago, so a lot has changed since then.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 PM

If you do need to give your car to a valet or anyone else and you don't want them to get into the trunk, use the glove box switch, but remember to lock the glove box with the physical key, and also remember to lock the rear seat with the lock that is located on the rear deck on the passenger side of the car...if you don't lock this lock, they can just lower the rear seat and get in there anyways...

2007 Precision Grey 3.5L SE with CVT
14.54@96.53mph, 2.29 60' bone stock

2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE CVT: 14.540 @ 96.530 MPH <----click here! The more clicks the better chance I have to win a GoPro!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Fatty McFat fat

Don't worry about it, most of us went through a phase of, "What the hell is this thing for?" moments with our cars too.

'08 Slate Hybrid w/ tech package: Nismo Lip, RL Endlinks - F/R, RL STB, Stillen RSB, Stillen Hood Ds, Fujita SRI, LED's everywhere, DDM 35w 6k HID, OEM fogs w/ DDM 35w 6k HID, digital touch switches, Switchback LED mod, 35% 3M tint all around, Bat style eyelids - 6/10 x 2, KP mirror tilt, debadged w/ Decepticon, 350Z Touring V.2, Centric front discs, Akebono pads, LED modded GT-R ON button, LED trunk light mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode