The Nissan Club banner

Sub/Amp Combo to Factory stereo-LOC

25K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kamikazeH20mln 
#1 ·
I searched and got some answers-just need clarification.
2008 2.5S w/ non-bose factory stereo which I'm going to keep.
I have a Alpine 10" type R sub and Alpine MRP450 amp basically collecting dust. It was going to go in my Ranger (my second vehicle) but since I drive my Altima more, I'm thinking of getting the setup installed in the Altima.
So, what I have read is...I can use a line out converter (LOC) but I think my amp has line level so may not need a LOC. The remote wire can go to the fuse box to a fuse that only is on when car is on or in acc. Power to battery. I don't want to mess with the factory radio and speakers, just would like some extra bump which this setup will do.
Question is, anyone experience any trouble using a LOC or connecting a sub/amp this way? Or have a positive experience using a LOC? I'm so used to using an aftermarket h/u, sub, and amp that using a LOC or tapping into rear speakers has be hesitating. I love my car (like everyone on here) and do not want to ruin any electrical components.
Thanks!

#2 ·
I have a high/low converter installed on my altima. It is tapped into the rear speaker like you suggested. I had a audio store install, so I can't answer your questions, but I can reassure you that I have no problems with my setup and it has been working great. I had my old altima setup this way also, and had no issues with that vehicle as well.

And believe me, people tap into wires way more serious on this forum, than just the speaker wires. I wouldn't worry about it.

And if your still hesitant, just have it professionally installed. Shouldn't cost more than $50 for the converter and installation.

#4 ·
There might be, but if there is, it's very minimal and I would say not even noticable. I didn't upgrade my stock speakers or anything. Only wanted to add a little bass, and it's sounds perfect to me. I'm happy with my setup. Also, don't know if you're looking to save trunk space, but I bought a Zenclosures sub box off ebay and I love the way my setup turned out and got way more trunk space now than with my standard square sub box.

#5 ·
In my opinion, a LOC sounds noticeably different (worse) than the same system with an aftermarket deck and proper RCA outs. Night and day difference in my 3rd gen. You say you used HU/RCA always before, so I would bet you will be able to hear the difference.

As far as trouble, I did not have any. I walked another member through installing one and he ended up with some serious alternator whine which was also experienced by another member. Its just something that you will have to correct if it occurs, but it doesn't effect everyone.

#6 ·
Of course, with an aftermarket head unit, which is designed to handle an amplifier and subwoofer and probably has controls specific for these types of devices, you are going to hear a huge difference. I'm just saying while still keeping your stock radio and adding in a converter, you will not notice any difference in sound quality.

#7 ·
I would hope that the addition of a subwoofer (even by use of line level inputs or the LOC) would improve sound quality overall. If you are saying its not going to sound any worse, then I agree, chances are it will not. My point is that if he installs the setup in hopes of or expecting it to sound like it did in a previous install w/ a headunit- he will most likely be disappointed.

#8 ·
I can attest that LOCs are decent but they are not for all systems and if they go out you can have some serious issues like I had on the one that I purchased from Best Buy when I was starting my system out. Basically I ran the system for almost a year and one day the LOC decided to short out and instead putting out the usual 5V of power to my amps...it put out almost 15V and ended up frying my amps and my sub so I went out and bought a Digital Signal Processor and its night and day difference in sound but your also comparing a $25 LOC to a $200-700 DSP. The one I got is the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 and this thing is phenomenal and worth every penny I paid but some will think its pricey at $500+. There are a number of these things out there made by many different manufacturers such as JL Audio (CleanSweep), Alpine, AudioControl, Pioneer, etc. And they all have different pricing. The RF one is pretty high end since you need to connect it to your laptop or Palm device for adjustments and some of the others have built in tuning but nowhere near the capabilities as others so its all what you shop for.

IMO LOCs are crap and don't buy them. But others will tell you otherwise and its totally up to you.

#9 ·
N4L is very knowledgeable in what he says. however, the chance that your hi-lo is going to short like his did is 1/1 million. of course, i always recommend to my customers swapping out the HU because it processes the music better, especially with a sub, but if you're on a budget, the hi-lo will do fine for a while. just be sure that the bass doesnt overpower the music. many amateur tuners have trouble with this because theyre only dealing with one piece of tuning.

#10 ·
what about if your factory speaker setup has an EXISTING subwoofer from the factory? still need a high/low?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.