The Nissan Club banner

09 Altima Sedan wipers

16K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  ddlatone 
#1 ·
ok, i am really confused. everything i can find tells me that i need a 26'' and a 17'' wiper blade. i thought the 17 looked a little small, but whatever, i got it anyway. they are not even close to fitting. anyone know the real size or have a similar problem?

09 Altima sedan 2.5S

#3 ·
well, we need a 28 and a 17 inch blade. not 26. it'll work but it won't be optimal for a clear window.

just bought two complete sets (two 28s and two 17s) for $50 shipped. can't beat that price for rain-x lattitude wipers.

#7 ·
there is absolutely no way that 17 is right. there is about a foot and a half of empty space on the passenger side. i think there are 2 x 28 on there now, but the pass side looks too big. ugh...already bought the 17 and the 26 on ebay.

and i live in Buffalo...nuff said. im lucky if i get 1 year out of blades.

#8 ·
dude the specs are 17 and 28. there is a way they are right....because they are. you already bought one. on the other hand, the 26 you bought is two inches too short. you may have some spots that are not wiped no matter how many times you turn them on. id return that one and ask for the 28 if i were you.

ive managed almost a year and a half on the original set in long island. thats pretty decent. rains all summer, snows a lot in the winter, and foggy whenever it wants to be so the wipers get plenty of use. which ones did you wind up with?

#9 ·
I'm on 2+ years in VT with the OEM wiper blades. I just RainX the windshield and set the wipers to intermittent wipe. I think I'm getting to the point where I need to look at new ones. Lattitude or OEM is the route I'm going.

~SB

#10 ·
latitude is what i got. much cheaper and probably a little better than oems. the problem with rain x fluid is that it builds up on the blades and windshield and doesnt allow the water to be brushed off. i may try to scuff the stock blades or clean them thoroughly before installing the next set. see if it works. ill try some degreaser mixxed with soapy water.

#12 ·
well, i know how to use a tape measure. i want to make sure there isnt something weird with the position of my wiper or something. i thought maybe there were different positions or something depending on when it came out. and with all due respect, i understand that the spec is 17'' but more than half of my passenger side would not be wiped if i used that. maybe i will post pics later. the reason i was confused is because the one on there now (may be, may not be the original since i bought it used) is too long by a little bit. i wanted to see what it was supposed to be.

#13 ·
if there is a foot and a half of extra space then the person before you put too small of a wiper there. the 17 goes on the passenger and the 28 on the driver side.

#14 ·
i know that, thats how i set it up. i will take some pics when i get home. does someone have a picture of the wiper like halfway up? it just seems odd that mine is so far off.

edit:
i just looked at the pic above again and that is not how mine looks. the part where you clip the wiper in is much closer to the center of the car on mine.

#16 ·
If ddlatone is 'really confused' over something as simple as changing his wiper blades, I can't wait to see his "I'm changing oil and filter and I'm confused' post.

Or the "I'm confused, is it OK to use winter air in my tires during the summer?" post.

I guess that some people want others to know that even simple tasks are beyond their ability.

“Journey of life like feather in stream - must go with current.”
Charlie Chan in Egypt (1935)

#18 ·
damn people, im not retarded. i will post some pics. and yes, i think something is wrong with the wiper arm. either it is off of the proper travel or it is just the total wrong one.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/ddlatone/0703091707.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/ddlatone/0703091708.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/ddlatone/0704090955.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/ddlatone/0704090954.jpg

if someone could post pics of their wipers in these positions, it would be great.

#22 ·
wow, thanks for no help people. the one installed there now is the beloved 17'' one. there was a 28 on there before. and obviously they are both wrong because when they both go into the bottom, the fit is not right, they clang up against the windshield molding.

#25 ·
No Doubt the wrong wiper Arm. now the next question... what Blade was on there before which made everything fine before the blade change? obviously any blade was going to run into the base of the passenger side windshield as there is no curve to the passenger arm currently installed.

i'd head to the dealer and say... ummm what's up?

~SB

#26 ·
ya i mean you had the right blades on a relatively short time ago because of the marks...who replaced the blades? you or the dealer? if they did your ok because they will have to fix them and they should also be fired at the same time. how could the wrong size arm get on there though? at least we identified the problem. now just to fix it...

#27 ·
Sherrock,

You are correct, my comments were off base. I did not major in tact or diplomacy in college.

After reading these posts, and looking at all of the pictures, I am begining to feel sorry for ddlatone. Using his own words, "wow, thanks for no help people." This is not correct, as almost everyone, except me, attempted to help him.

It appears that an unknown perpetrator not only stole his wiper arms, but replaced them with the wrong ones. What are the odds of this happening?

I'm sure that we will see this on an eposide of Unsolved Mysteries, hosted by Dennis Farina. After an arrest is made, the producers of Law and Order, Special Victims Unit, will use this as basis for one of their eposides. After all, ddlatone, bless his little heart, does seem to be special.

He will have the last laugh on us, as he will sell his story for boatloads of money to Deanna Sclar, author of Auto Repair for Dummies.

Auto Repair For Dummies is indispensable for anyone who is tired of nodding and smiling at the incomprehensible mutterings of your mechanic, only to end up shelling out money for repairs that you neither fully understand nor always need. This easy-to-understand guide is also for you if you:

Don't have the vaguest idea of how a car works.
Can't identify anything you see under the hood of your vehicle.
Are tired of other people assuming that you aren’t capable of handling repairs yourself.
Don't want to feel helpless in an emergency.
Are tired of being ripped off because of your own ignorance.

Sooner or later this saga will end.

#29 · (Edited)
seriously? get a life dude. how was i supposed to know what arm was supposed to be there? i obviously have never had this car before. but have fun trolling car forums and making fun of peope to make up for your low self esteem.

at least now i know what the problem is. i will go down to the dealer and grab a new one. i wonder why the hell it was like that. how weird.

#31 ·
maybe someone went to the dealership and switched them out :)

#32 ·
Couple questions for you man.

Did you replace the wiper blades or the wiper arms? If you loosen bolts then you replaced the arms, if you just unclipped something then it was the blades. Obviously the right size was on there before because the previous marks are not matching up with the new wipers.

Why is the bolt for attaching the wiper arm exposed?
I believe you replaced the arm instead of your blades.

Solution:
Put the original arms back on the car. Don't touch those bolts ever again, and just unclip the wipers from the arms and replace those. You need a 28" WIPER and a 17" WIPER.

#33 · (Edited)
yeh, i bought it used but still. why would you put that one on there? i wonder if i can con the dealer into replacing it under warranty. looks like the arm is like $35. oh well, at least it will be right.

edit, just read the above. i didnt replace the whole arm. i know the difference between the blade and the arm. are the bolts not supposed to be exposed? i will look at the pic that someone attached before. if it is wrong i have no idea, because i have what i have and i dont have anything to compare it to. all i knew was the wiper didnt fit right in the windshield and when i replaced the blade it looked way too small. now i know what is wrong and i just have to fix it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.