Checking engine oil level question? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Checking engine oil level question?

So I had engine oil changed on my ~3 months old 2009 2.5s at the dealer last week. Over the weekend when I checked the oil level it seems a high. I went to the dealer today to pump some out and they were quite apprehensive about it. The head tech tried to convince me that the oil level is not high and is reading at the correct level. He also said even if it was a little high it is not a problem unless it is quite high. He said if you overfill it the engine light will come on for over pressure so I should not worry about it. After me insisting they said they can do another oil change but I will have to leavethe car for a few hours. I don't have that much time so I left.

Now my question is how to correctly read the dipstick? Don' laugh guys I am serious. I followed what the manual say warm the engine and leave for 10 mins and then check the level. I have done that way as well as the old way of doing it completey cold and seen similar results.

What I see is that there is residue of oil (about a 1/4") even above the C mark of the dipstick. The H mark is about 1/4" below the C mark. You can clearly see the oil up to the H level but after that it is not as solid and is kind of streaking up to the above of the C mark. I am confused if the oil is really above the C mark and is just not able to stick there when I pull the stick out or it is just some residue from oil in the dipstick holder. I think oil level is about 1/2"-3/4" high because I saw similar streaks even when I left the car sitting over night.

Need you guys insight. Thanks

2009 2.5S Altima Silver
2003.5 G35 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 PM
A bit old and irritable

Did you wipe the oil off of the dipstick then reinsert/withdraw to get a reading or did you just pull it out and read it?

You sound like you would be more content changing your own oil, then you know you have done it right.

Your dealer must you

2008 Altima 2.5S CVT | Precision Gray | 46K miles
Audio Build Log
#3 Old 09-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Garage
I believe the marks that are not solid making their way to the "C" mark are residue from the inside of the dipstick tube. Remove the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert it and remove it, then read where it's SOLID across the width of the stick and that's your reading. I wouldn't be worried about it being high if it's not going past the "C" mark with a solid line of oil.

2012 Altima 2.5 , Dark Slate ⎟⎟ 20th Anniversary Package

2006 Altima 2.5 , Pearl white⎟⎟ K&N CAI, Stillen FSTB, DDM H1 6000k HID slim ballast kit, debadged, blacked out grill, EBC slotted/dimpled front rotors & Redstuff pads(installed 3/12) <TRADED IN>
#4 Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Altima SER/GTR/JDM/TURBO

could be that the dealer is just putting in 5qts but the manual says capacity is 4 7/8 qts. Kinda hard to measure out 7/8qt lol. But if thats the case I think you will be ok.
#5 Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 DSG SL View Post
could be that the dealer is just putting in 5qts but the manual says capacity is 4 7/8 qts. Kinda hard to measure out 7/8qt lol. But if thats the case I think you will be ok.
bingo! even the same dealership, different mechanics do it differently. i went to dealership twice, first time they put exactly 4 7/8 quarts, and gave me leftovers in the jug. second time they put all 5 quarts in. i wouldn't worry about it, as they said if it was too much you'd see lights on dashboard. as long as it's not too low, it's ok.

2007 infiniti fx35, 2008 mercury mariner hybrid
nissan factory shop manuals
#6 Old 09-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Common sense advocate

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 DSG SL View Post
That extra 1/8th of a quart is only 4 ounces. Don't sweat it. I get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 and I dump the whole thing in when I change the oil. No problems.

Just curious OP, how long have you been driving?
#7 Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Altima SER/GTR/JDM/TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster289 View Post
That extra 1/8th of a quart is only 4 ounces. Don't sweat it. I get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 and I dump the whole thing in when I change the oil. No problems.

Just curious OP, how long have you been driving?
Oh I agree, I just changed my oil this afternoon and dumped all 5 qts in. Level is fine, car runs fine.
#8 Old 09-16-2009, 04:11 AM

(Thread Starter)
Have been driving for 15 years and yes I used to change my own oil but for last few years just been lazy.

I have been checking oil for many years so I know how to do it (yes yes I do wipe the dipstick before putting it in to check come on now). I am just surprised that after the car sits the whole night there is still residue of oil from dipstick tube that goes all the way to the top of the C. That is why I was asking if any of you guys checked did you see the residue all the way to the top of C or you do not?

2009 2.5S Altima Silver
2003.5 G35 Black
#9 Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
LOL AWD

As it's been already said, even a whole 5-quart jug is absolutely fine. That max line is not an absolute. As long as it's not ridiculously high on the dipstick, you're good to go.

My snail eats rice

synthetic oil drained every 500 miles cause I'm rich | uranium-core sparkplugs | McRae sticker 10hp edition | titanium piston springs | Motul syn blinker fluid | timing advanced 6* Celsius | SE-R tail lights | trunk mount intercooler | oil catchcan with exhaust dumpvalve (see smoke in sigpic) | CLICK to see my turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode