2010 Altima Steering Lock Mechanism - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2010 Altima Steering Lock Mechanism

I finished with the lease of my 2007 Altima 2.5S and I bought a brand-new 2010 Altima 2.5S. So far I am really happy with the new car. The only thing that I noted is that the steering wheel is not locking when the start switch is in “lock”.

My 2007 incorporated this safety mechanism, locking the steering wheel in place making a little more difficult to a thief to take the car due to the fact that the steering wheel will not move.

I was looking for information about the Steering Lock Mechanism in my 2010 Altima Owner’s Manual but I could not find any info. Is it possible that my new car has a defective Steering lock system or Nissan just removed this device from the 2010 Altimas? Any Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Remi 12 - 2.5SL

My 2009 (push button start) doesn't "lock" the steering until after I open the driver's door after shutting the engine down. I hear a little electrical motor sound when it locks.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM

That is right Remi 09 - 2.5S, my 07 Altima had the same behaviour as yours, but the 2010 Altima don’t do the same. No sound and the steering wheel is free to turn to any side. I think that I have to take the car to the dealer or give a call to Nissan and ask about this. As I say before nothing is mentioned about the steering lock device in the 2010 Owner’s Manual. That mean is possible that the system was removed from the 2010 Altimas or maybe my car is defective.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Remi 12 - 2.5SL

I don't know why Nissan would remove the steering wheel lock as it is part of the anti-theft system that all cars have. Please keep us posted after you visit the dealer.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 PM

Answer from Nissan

I just spoke with a person in the Nissan customer service and he say that the “Electrical Steering Lock System” had been eliminated from the Altimas 2010 model. He doesn't know the reason but it is not part of the specifications of the car anymore. I guess maybe the intelligent key system is good enough anti-theft device or Nissan had lots of problem with the steering lock. Who knows????

Last edited by Rafael04; 03-30-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Chandan Aidur

i guess you all are confused or havent paid much attention to the steering Lock mechanism. The electric Motor "wrrr" sound u hear is the sound of the Lock meachanism . it usually comes on after u switch off the engine, open the door and close it again... assuming u have gotten out. Mine is a 2.5 S 2010 and I have noticed the steering locks up and is impossible to move after the "wrr" noise which is the electrical locking in this case.

1990 Merc E240 German import
2000 Hyundai Accent
2004 Hyundai Accent
2007 KIA Optima SEV6
2009 Hyundai Accent
2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S - My present Love!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Its useless, the car cant be started or moved without the FOB anyways, so why put in something that doesnt need to be there
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM

steering lock control mechanism

My 2009 Altima would not start. There was absolutely no activation of the ignition system. After following all trouble shooting advice in the car's manual, I towed the car to dealer where they stated an open circuit in Steering Control Unit (ie., bad circuit) is not telling the control unit that the steering wheel is unlocked and ready to start (mechanically, the steering lock was functioning and unlocked). The Steering Lock Control Unit (Part# 487009N00B) needed to be replaced. This is all part of the vehicle anti-theft immobilizer system. The cost to replace this unit was $1,062.90. I feel this is a serious safety flaw in the 2009 Nissan Altima. 1. This was a fully functioning car (except for anti-theft circuit glitch) that left me and my daughter stranded in a very remote area. 2. Nissan promotes how safe, reliable and economical their cars are, but the anti-theft system can disable the vehicle leaving driver stranded with only one option, which is, to be towed to a dealer because of ant-theft system glitches. 3. The car, being economical, should not require an over $1,000 repair because of an anti-theft device circuit malfunction. 4. There are several conditions that can occur that will result in the Nissan Altima becoming immobilized stranding drivers. I am stating only one. This is particularly dangerous especially to female drivers. 5. I feel that Nissan should come up with an override code or device that will allow a driver to escape from potentially dangerous situations that were created by Nissan's vehicle immobilizer system. Especially when the car is fully functional except for an anti-theft immobilizing circuit falsely telling that the vehicle is not ready to start when it is. I believe this is a serious safety flaw in their vehicle security system.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM

My 2009 Altima just blew up too. Steering lock mechanism to the tune of $700.00. I have seen the fix price range from $500 to $1200.00. I called Nissan to ask for "Goodwill" and they basically told me to "pound sand."

What a lemon. There is a website with literally 100's of pages of the same complaint. My next call is to the dealer that sold me the lemon.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Bordering on Insanity

I had the "little yellow key" light up on my '09 a few days ago ... paid a bit over $700 for the fix. This seems to be a major problem, perhaps this is why this feature was removed on the 2010's.

I wonder how many failures it takes to trigger a recall, any ideas?

'09 Altima 2.5S CVT 65K
'10 Armada SE 4WD 55K
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Too Late

I doubt they will recall this. It's too late. The part will arrive at the dealership in about a week there are so many being recalled.

I talked to a guy at Town North Nissan in Austin and he has 5 Altimas waiting for the part.

Nissan did eliminate the part in 2010 of course full well knowing the ticking time bomb for all the prior years' cars.

What a nightmare.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Here is the website with 100's of complaints on the steering lock mechanism:

Nissan Altima 2009 - Steering - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode