CVT whine - Page 2 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My car also started making a whining noise today. It's only got 16000 miles on it.

The noise sounds like an electric motor hum, only audible at 1200-1500 rpm, both moving and in park. That probably rules out CVT. I've shut off the radio and A/C, and the noise is still there between 1200-1500 rpm. Anyone know what this may be?

2008 2.5S CVT Super Black/Frost

Contemplating... OEM Rear Spoiler : Stillen/Nismo Lip : OEM Fogs : Projector Retrofit : LED Tailight : HUD : OEM Homelink Rearview Mirror : Remote Start : OEM 17'' Alloy Rims
Done... Interior Wood Accents : Amber Footwell LED and Ambient Lighting : Warm White Footwell Courtesy Lights : iPod Adapter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 05-19-2010, 05:45 AM

well i have been contemplating going to nissan to get my cvt checked, but decided that at 60k ill just go for the cvt fluid change and if its busted theyll replace it.

the only time i hear a whine and it is quite noticeable if the radio is turned down, is when i you can say "USE" the car...meaning i go over 80 90 100 110 for long periods of time...i guess it has something to do with the belts heating up...after the belts cool down im guessing the whine goes away and you forget about it again....hence me not panicking about the cvt....i do think its a problem though as i remember taking my uncles alti to delaware and hitting those speeds but not hearing the whine...anyways his is only 28k and mine is about to hit 55k both 07's mine bought later on in the year....
#18 Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 AM

btw the audio whine and the cvt whine are quite different..
#19 Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Sorry to bump a post that's more than a month old, but this problem sounds very familiar to me. I have had the same CVT whining problem on my 08 Altima 2.5. My car is now at 77k miles and on it's 3rd CVT. Unfortunately, this 3rd tranny is also exhibiting signs of failure, after only 8k miles or so.

My two cents on the issue...

Regarding the sound it makes, in my case I have noticed that the noise does follow the engine. Higher revs make the frequency higher, lower revs make it lower, but always there is a lag from the engine to the noise. Let off the gas and the noise will decrease in frequency but at a slower pace. I've never owned a car with a turbo or supercharger, but it's what I imagine they would sound like. I'll make a recording of it on Monday when I'm coming home from work, there is a ton of road noise and you'd have to turn it up, but I've used my iphone to record it before for the service guys.

I am not even remotely a mechanic, so please take what I say with a grain of salt, but I will tell you what I have noticed with regard to causes. The noise starts up after the car has been driving for a bit, say 30 miles or so. It's very faint to begin with but as it heats up it becomes louder. You really start hearing it when you put the car under a load. I live in the California high desert and to get home I have to go up two very significant grades. Usually by midpoint of the first grade (after driving on the highway for roughly 40 miles) the CVT is whining very audibly. By the time I get to the top of the second grade It is quite audible even on a decline and coasting. I've never thrown it in neutral to determine if it continues then. I am quite confident that I could throw an engine light if I just continued going up and down that hill for a few hours. I've thrown a PO710 and a PO744 on a trip to Idaho. (Transmission temp sensor and Torque Converter clutch circuit.)

The failures appear to be severe overheating, what causes it? No idea, but on the RO for the last CVT replacement the technician wrote that the cvt torque converter had some heavy burn marks on the snout of the converter and when removing the trans the converter was seized onto the flywheel. Please bear in mind, while I do travel quite a bit for work I am not a NASCAR driver. I need my cars to last for the long haul, not the quarter mile. This is all under normal driving, albeit up a big hill. I can also attest that I am aware of at least two other people that live in this area that also have the CVT problems I am experiencing. One is another 2.5 Altima and the other is a Rogue.

There is also a TSB out that is supposed to address this issue, I have it listed on paperwork from Nissan as NTB09-044:

Description: VARIOUS NISSAN MODELS; MIL ‘ON’ WITH P0840/P0845 AND P0710
An applied vehicle has CVT Fluid that is discolored and / or has unusual odor.
AND
The MIL is ‘ON’ with DTCs P0840 and / or P0845 stored in CONSULT III / ENGINE and / or TRANSMISSION.
OR
The MIL is ‘ON’ and P0710 is stored in CONSULT III / ENGINE and / or TRANSMISSION.
• P0710 may be stored with P0840 and / or P0845.

The service story on this car is chock full of "CANNOT CONFIRM ISSUES" and rampant lunacy from the service department but the car went in for the first time around 25k miles for the acceleration lag issue. To this day they deny that the lag problem exists. Shortly after that is when I noticed the whining and it took me until 49k miles before they finally admitted there was a problem. If you guys have this problem, FIGHT them until they admit the issue and replace it. Maybe you'll have better luck then me. It's a shame really, because I love the car otherwise. Just wish they could give me a transmission that won't blow up every 10k miles or so...
#20 Old 07-24-2010, 11:35 PM

Wow, it sounds like you have quite an issue. If you haven't spoken to someone in Nissan HQ, I would urge you to so do fast. With all those codes and unresolved issues, it sounds like a mess. Most of us with CVT failures have only had the whine, with no CEL's, etc.

How close are you to the 120k warranty cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
Sorry to bump a post that's more than a month old, but this problem sounds very familiar to me. I have had the same CVT whining problem on my 08 Altima 2.5. My car is now at 77k miles and on it's 3rd CVT. Unfortunately, this 3rd tranny is also exhibiting signs of failure, after only 8k miles or so.

My two cents on the issue...
........It's a shame really, because I love the car otherwise. Just wish they could give me a transmission that won't blow up every 10k miles or so...

Al Jones
'08 2.5SL/CVT, 365K & counting
'11 Silverado
'79 MGB
#21 Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Well I'm at 77k miles at the moment. I did buy the 100k extended from Nissan so when it comes to warranty repair I'm still good, but it doesn't seem to matter. I took my car in a month ago for the current transmission starting to fail and was told by the service manager that they wouldn't replace it again, I would have to call Nissan directly to get further resolution.

I called a lawyer instead.

That's where I am at now. I've started lemon law action on it, but Nissan is not playing ball. They are denying that there were any transmission problems at 25k miles even though I brought it in for the acceleration lag issues. They are starting at the 48-49k mark which was when the CEL went off.

That's why I'm scouring the net looking for others with this issue. I want to back up my position with evidence that this is a bigger problem then they are admitting.
#22 Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just wondering, do the new 2010 Altimas have the same transmission as your guys 07/08s that are having these issues? I'm in the market for a new Altima but this post kinda scared me when I see how many people had to have their transmissions replaced...!

Thanks.
#23 Old 07-25-2010, 12:23 PM

Smart move with the attorney and lemon law.
You can sure use my case as reference. My issues are in the "CVT Shot @ 60k" thread. I was 600 miles out of warranty (care was 13 months old). Nissan first said I had to pay the full bill ($5.5K). Than, they said just the labor, $900, which I paid. I continued to fight Nissan at the corporate level and after executive review, they agreed it should be covered completely and refunded the labor money I paid. This was in January-March of 2009. In January 2010, Nissan doubled the warranty period on CVT transmissions to 120k.

Feel free to contact me off-forum if you need more info.

The thread I mentioned earlier:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...ot-60k-11.html

Al Jones
'08 2.5SL/CVT, 365K & counting
'11 Silverado
'79 MGB

Last edited by ssjones; 07-25-2010 at 12:34 PM.
#24 Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wope View Post
Just wondering, do the new 2010 Altimas have the same transmission as your guys 07/08s that are having these issues? I'm in the market for a new Altima but this post kinda scared me when I see how many people had to have their transmissions replaced...!

Thanks.
3.5sr yes, all other models have old transmissions as 07-09 model years. also note that nissan doesn't put cvt in any of their infiniti vehicles as it can't handle heavy torque, if i were you i'd stay away from cvt and get a car with 6+ speed auto or manual.

2007 infiniti fx35, 2008 mercury mariner hybrid
nissan factory shop manuals

Last edited by xeene; 07-25-2010 at 05:47 PM.
#25 Old 07-25-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
Well I'm at 77k miles at the moment. I did buy the 100k extended from Nissan so when it comes to warranty repair I'm still good, but it doesn't seem to matter. I took my car in a month ago for the current transmission starting to fail and was told by the service manager that they wouldn't replace it again, I would have to call Nissan directly to get further resolution.

I called a lawyer instead.

That's where I am at now. I've started lemon law action on it, but Nissan is not playing ball. They are denying that there were any transmission problems at 25k miles even though I brought it in for the acceleration lag issues. They are starting at the 48-49k mark which was when the CEL went off.

That's why I'm scouring the net looking for others with this issue. I want to back up my position with evidence that this is a bigger problem then they are admitting.
I hate to be the one to ask it, and don't take any offense to it; but how do you drive your car? I only ask cause it is relevant. do you drive your car as it's intended to be driven, or do you dog it, race it, try to red-line it, and pretend your driving a GTR as opposed to a family sedan?

again, not trying to be a dick, but with some of the stuff posted here I find it in no way surprising that some people have had transmission problems. none of your posts indicate if you've modded your car, or how you drive it. just wondering.

1998 nissan 200sx se (daily driver)
2007 nissan altima 2.5s cvt (wife/family car)
2012 chevy camaro (weekend toy)
#26 Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
I hate to be the one to ask it, and don't take any offense to it; but how do you drive your car? I only ask cause it is relevant. do you drive your car as it's intended to be driven, or do you dog it, race it, try to red-line it, and pretend your driving a GTR as opposed to a family sedan?

again, not trying to be a dick, but with some of the stuff posted here I find it in no way surprising that some people have had transmission problems. none of your posts indicate if you've modded your car, or how you drive it. just wondering.
No worries, it's a valid question. In answer, I'm a pretty conservative driver. I've never modded it in any way and I drive it to last. I put high mileage on cars with my job and I've had enough to know that the nicer you are to them, the longer they last. The only hard driving I do with it is going up those grades at 65-70. I don't know what the percentage grade is but I go from roughly 1000 ASL to 4000 ASL on two grades that measure about 10 miles. It's a pretty big hill. I only mention it because I have had others that live in the area complaining of the same CVT issues and it makes me wonder if that hill is just too hard on the transmissions.
#27 Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
Since this thread has been pulled back up...I will give you an update on my noise.
The noise that I was hearing when driving above 70mph turned out to be the tires. I had 68K miles on the OEM Conti's when I decided it was time for new tires. I probably could have gotten another 10K out of them, but I was getting ready for a driving trip and decided that it would be a good idea to have good rubber. Once the new tires were put on the car the loud humming at speeds above 70mph went away.
My guess is that I must have had a steel belt break in one of the Conti's....which would explain why the noise started very abruptly one day (and I realized after getting the new tires that the noise started about a week after I had rotated the tires).
Anyway...that takes care of that whining noise on my car.

I also had, and continue to have, a whining noise occasionally when I start the car. I still have not been able to pin-point where this noise is coming from. It always goes away fast enough that I cannot get the hood open to find out where it is coming from. My best guess is that it is the belt tension idler arm bearing or a bearing in the alternator or water pump. Hopefully, it will not fail on me before I can track it down.

2008 2.5SL
Sonoma Sunset

2007 FX35
Autumn Copper
#28 Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
I also had, and continue to have, a whining noise occasionally when I start the car. I still have not been able to pin-point where this noise is coming from. It always goes away fast enough that I cannot get the hood open to find out where it is coming from. My best guess is that it is the belt tension idler arm bearing or a bearing in the alternator or water pump. Hopefully, it will not fail on me before I can track it down.
keep in mind, when you first start your car all the oil is sitting in the oil pan. it takes a couple seconds to get it circulating through the entire engine.

likewise, most everything on your car is designed to perform at operating temperatures. It's not at all uncommon to hear some odd sounds till it properly warms up.

1998 nissan 200sx se (daily driver)
2007 nissan altima 2.5s cvt (wife/family car)
2012 chevy camaro (weekend toy)
#29 Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
keep in mind, when you first start your car all the oil is sitting in the oil pan. it takes a couple seconds to get it circulating through the entire engine.

likewise, most everything on your car is designed to perform at operating temperatures. It's not at all uncommon to hear some odd sounds till it properly warms up.
If the oil filter back flow is working properly, there should still be oil in the upper portion of the engine.
Either way...it is definitely not the engine itself. It is either a parasitic belt driven item or the CVT. I am leaning toward one of the belt driven parts or possibly the belt itself.

2008 2.5SL
Sonoma Sunset

2007 FX35
Autumn Copper
#30 Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 AM

Ok, so I recorded the whine on the way home today using my iPhone. Now the only problem is, anyone have any ideas on how I could upload it for you guys to listen to? It's a .m4a audio file that can be opened in iTunes but I'm not sure what the best way to host it would be. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode