Car won't start - brake pedal won't go down - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car won't start - brake pedal won't go down

I have a 2007 altima 2.s w/ 60,000 miles on it.

I pressed the ignition button once and then again to turn on the dash, radio, air, etc. All that came on just fine - the lights came on too - but when I tried to start the car and it wouldn't turn over. I pushed my foot on the brake and hit the ignition button but it wouldn't turn - it tried, but didn't make it.

So I went inside thinking my battery was dead. About 10 minutes later I go back outside to my car and tried to start it again except now my dang brake pedal won't go down. No matter how hard I step on the brakes it won't budge. If I try to start my car now it does this very weird clicking sound until I push the ignition button and nothing happens.

I called the Nissan dealer and asked them if a dead battery would cause my brake pedal to not go down and they said no.

Can anyone help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 PM

On most cars pumping the brake pedal while the car is off builds up pressure in the line and that pressure doesn't release until the car is started. I'm not sure if anything is different with this car because of the brake to start feature but I can't imagine that would make a difference. Whether the brake is depress all the way or not the car knows when you are pushing on the brake.

20% Tint - LED Interior - Enkei or52 18" - 6k DDM HID - FLX-Paint Roof Overlay -
Vinyl Rear Valence - 6k Switchback LED's -

MY CVT goes hmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm
#3 Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 PM

i had the same situation when my battery was almost dead from being in Acc. the lights and everything worked but the car wouldnt start and the beeper was a very dull low sound. get a jump and try to start it.

http://www.facebook.com/KMCustomVinyl

:: 2008 SBP SRT8 Charger Super Bee :: #614/1000 :: took delivery with 1024 miles on the clock :: tints all around :: LEDs :: MyGig Lockpick :: hidden front and rear cameras ::

soon= digital gauges, exhaust, mids, and tuner

#4 Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 PM

The ikey uses the brake switch to tell if you're pressing the brake when trying to start the car. So if your brake lights are still coming on then the switch is working and it's probably the battery. If the brake lights aren't coming on then its most likely the brake switch (cheap part that several have had to replace).

Current: 19" G35 Forged Rays -- Projector Headlights & HIDs -- Factory iPod Connection -- 3.5SE Mirrors -- Eibach Pro Kit -- 30% Tint -- K&N Typhoon -- Mustache Overlays -- LED Tails -- Convenience Audio Controls & Leather Steering Wheel -- Foglights -- Auto-dimming Mirror -- Racingline Strut-Brace -- Ambient Lighting -- Aluminum Kick-plates -- Factory Canadian Spoiler -- SBD Ground Wire Kit -- Trunk Net
#5 Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Offset is everything

its the brake switch. cheap replacement covered under warranty

[Debadged][Tailight Overlays & GTR Headlight Overlays][Eibach Pro-kit][19" Speedy Octane Staggereds]
[Fujita WAI][Xentec 6000k HIDs][License Plate LEDS & Interior Swap][Autopia Fogs][M3 Lip Roof Spoiler][Sports Mesh Painted Grill and Logos]
-Dual 12" audiobahns | MTC: R. Valence Overlay | Magnaflow Tips
#6 Old 04-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplithman View Post
I have a 2007 altima 2.s w/ 60,000 miles on it.

I pressed the ignition button once and then again to turn on the dash, radio, air, etc. All that came on just fine - the lights came on too - but when I tried to start the car and it wouldn't turn over. I pushed my foot on the brake and hit the ignition button but it wouldn't turn - it tried, but didn't make it.

So I went inside thinking my battery was dead. About 10 minutes later I go back outside to my car and tried to start it again except now my dang brake pedal won't go down. No matter how hard I step on the brakes it won't budge. If I try to start my car now it does this very weird clicking sound until I push the ignition button and nothing happens.

I called the Nissan dealer and asked them if a dead battery would cause my brake pedal to not go down and they said no.

Can anyone help me out?
I have that same problem. The last two mornings when I go outside to start the car ('08 Altima), the brake pedal is really hard to push and the car won't start. It just cycles through ACC and ON. Eventually it will start.

Took it into the dealership. They looked at the brake switch. It was fine and they couldn't find any codes or issues with the brake's electrical system.

HOWEVER

They did notice that my brake fluid was low. Upon further inspection, it appears the master cylinder on the brake was leaking. This could be the issue..........overnight fluid seeps in and makes the brake impossible to push. After some pumps and turning the car ON, the pressure is returned to normal and the car will start.

Of course this is just my guess.........but Nissan thinks this could be the issue as well. Thankfully I'm still under warranty.
#7 Old 04-29-2010, 08:44 PM

I thought it's a toyota when I read the title..

2008 Super Black 2.5SL Altima Sedan
15% Tint, Projector Headlights, OEM Foglights, Interior & License Plate LEDs, Footwell LEDs, 3.5 Side Mirrors, Bullydog Backup Sensor, Spoiler, Redout Tail Lights, Clear Bra, Weathertech Mats, Aluminium Kick Plates, Dynamat/B-Quiet, iPod Interface, SBD Grounding Kit

#8 Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcrossFlyer View Post
I have that same problem. The last two mornings when I go outside to start the car ('08 Altima), the brake pedal is really hard to push and the car won't start. It just cycles through ACC and ON. Eventually it will start.

Took it into the dealership. They looked at the brake switch. It was fine and they couldn't find any codes or issues with the brake's electrical system.

HOWEVER

They did notice that my brake fluid was low. Upon further inspection, it appears the master cylinder on the brake was leaking. This could be the issue..........overnight fluid seeps in and makes the brake impossible to push. After some pumps and turning the car ON, the pressure is returned to normal and the car will start.

Of course this is just my guess.........but Nissan thinks this could be the issue as well. Thankfully I'm still under warranty.
**UPDATE**

Car started this morning without any issues. Looks like the culprit was the master cylinder. 100% covered by warranty.
#9 Old 06-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Dirtysailor

Just a point of interest my master cylinder has also failed on my car, with 70K on it. The only notice I got was the emergency brake light was lit.
#10 Old 07-03-2010, 02:47 AM

I have that same problem with my wife car 2008 Altima with 16000 ml on it. The last two days when I go outside to start the car , the brake pedal is really hard to push and the car won't start. Check the battery and everything is fine. Later on the Car started without any issues and after that the car have a same problem again, I don't know what is going on . May be the brake switch? is gonna go to the dealer on Tuesday is still under warranty. I owned four Nissan and never had any problem , this is my first give me a problem. Anybody have any idear

Last edited by Johnn; 07-03-2010 at 02:56 AM.
#11 Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Johnn

I had the same exact problem yesterday (4 July). I tried to start it again this morning and it still wouldn't start. Called a tow company and had them tow it to the dealership. Wouldn't you know I tried to start it there in the service garage and it started right up. It was very annoying. The dealership just called back and said it was the brake switch. We'll see.

Go figure we just went over the warranty to by 4000 miles. I should have listened to myself when I bought the car and stayed away from the push button ignition. Just something else to go wrong. Im curious what your dealership says it is.
#12 Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Hello Jack,
Do you know all the Nissan + Infinity now they using a push button ignition, I hope my car don't give me a problem tomorrow go to the dealership so I don't have to call a tow truck .
Let me know about your problem and I will let you know about mine , After they fix a pedal switch I don't know how long is gonna be last. Good luck.

Last edited by Johnn; 07-06-2010 at 12:56 AM.
#13 Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Johnn

It turned out to be the brake switch. They put in a new brake switch. So far I haven't had any problems, but its only been a couple days. We'll see.
#14 Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM

I had this problem twice. On second new master cylinder
#15 Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 PM

Jack,
Mine is the same , new brake switch and had been two day. So far there is no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode