Power Steering flush - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-05-2010, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering flush

I just came back from the stealership to get my oil changed along with a free multi point inspection(coupon). I had to get a new battery and get my power steering fluid changed. I'm at 35k exactly.

Questions:
New battery? Already? (Nissan warranty covered some of this, but was still 75 bucks)

Power steering fluid? Did any of you have to change this? They said it was "dirty"

Overall, cost me 190 bucks.

08 2.5SL CVT Super Black w/ alum kickplates
Mods:
5000k Xentec HID kit
32% front 22% back tint
Removed stock wind deflector
Future Mods:
3.5 Mirrors
iPod Adaptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspat2 View Post
I just came back from the stealership to get my oil changed along with a free multi point inspection(coupon). I had to get a new battery and get my power steering fluid changed. I'm at 35k exactly.

Questions:
New battery? Already? (Nissan warranty covered some of this, but was still 75 bucks)

Power steering fluid? Did any of you have to change this? They said it was "dirty"

Overall, cost me 190 bucks.
Well changing your battery depends on how you use it. Do you start and turn off your car a lot? Do you put your car on ACC and leave it for a long time (although our cars shut off automatically after a certain amount of time when they are set to ACC). It no, then it should have still been good. I have batteries in my cars that have lasted 5 years.

Now power steering fluid, that sounds fishy. It shouldnt need to be changed on a 2 year old car, however your warranty might require that you change it at certain intervals. I have a 79 chevy truck and I havent changed the power steering fluid in over 6 years, and it is still clean. The only reason I changed it was because I completely rebuilt the truck, otherwise it would probably be the same fluid.

The only reason I ever go to my dealership is to have the oil changed (free oil changes for life, woot woot) or if something breaks under warranty. other than that, I stay the hell away.
#3 Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think you was robbed. a battery should last more than 2 years unless your driving in harsh temperature conditions, or have a lot of stereo equipment hooked up.

as for powersteering fluid, there is no way in hell it should need replacing after only 2 years. that's one of the biggest scams out there.

never go to a dealership except for freebies, warranty, or recall work. they will ALWAYS be more expensive than a private shop, and will always try to get every penny out of you that they can. the best thing you can do is find a good, honest shop near you and stick with it. unlike most dealerships, most shops treat their regulars very well, and never take advantage of them for fear of loosing a good, regular customer.

1998 nissan 200sx se (daily driver)
2007 nissan altima 2.5s cvt (wife/family car)
2012 chevy camaro (weekend toy)
#4 Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
After talking with some friends, the battery situation sounds legit. I did a lot of driving in harsh weather conditions... 2 summers in palm springs(110+) and a couple weeks in the snow.

Lately, in the mornings, I could hear what I think is my power steering pump when I drive out of my parking spot. I never said anything to them about it. I wonder if this was the dirty fluid?

Thanks guys. I feel like I got reamed.

08 2.5SL CVT Super Black w/ alum kickplates
Mods:
5000k Xentec HID kit
32% front 22% back tint
Removed stock wind deflector
Future Mods:
3.5 Mirrors
iPod Adaptor
#5 Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspat2 View Post
After talking with some friends, the battery situation sounds legit. I did a lot of driving in harsh weather conditions... 2 summers in palm springs(110+) and a couple weeks in the snow.

Lately, in the mornings, I could hear what I think is my power steering pump when I drive out of my parking spot. I never said anything to them about it. I wonder if this was the dirty fluid?

Thanks guys. I feel like I got reamed.
Your battery probably did need to be replaced then, however they probably still over charged, as all dealerships do.

As for your power steering fluid, I honestly doubt it was dirty enough to change after 2 years, especially on a new car. You were probably hearing the pump because it was cold, not because it was dirty. Id say find a shop you can trust, or learn to change it yourself. Dealerships suck
#6 Old 06-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Tom
Returning Member

Speaking of batteries, what kind or type of battery to get for the 07-08 Altimas? Does it matter what cranking amps or brand you get? I've never had to change a battery before. I guess it's because I'm always getting a new car every few years, lol.

*Insert Unique Signature Here*
#7 Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
2010 2.5s Sedan

to the OP : IMO nissan took you for a little ride , nut you live you learn .

nissan batteries suck . i leased my last altima and a month before i had to give it back the battery died on me . IMO get a duralast gold from autozone , they come with 3 year free replacement and for the 5 years after that it gets pro-rated .

as for power steering fluid , get a 99 cent store turkey baster and suck out most of the power steering fluid then fill back up with new fluid , drive the car for 500 miles and repeat . after this you'll be good for 1-2 more years . as regular maintenance (once a year) you can use a cheap turkey baster to suck out most of the power steering fluid (in the reservoir) and just refill it back up with new fluid , then you'll know you always have good power steering fluid .

Last edited by jimnolimit; 06-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode