Fuel Octane levels for my ALTI 2.5 - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Chandan Aidur

Fuel Octane levels for my ALTI 2.5

Hello

I drive my 2010 2.5S with fuel having an Octane level of 95 as per what the agency suggested. Today I came across a forum thread and i learnt that Nissan recommends minimum of 91. Here in Abu Dhabi, UAE we have 3 grades of fuel at the Gas station:

1) A Plus - Octane 91 - Cheapest
2) Special - Octane 95 - economical
3) Super - Octane 98 - Expensive.

i have been using the Special fuel all this time and i believe i could switch over to A Plus - 91 and save more money by doing so. Is it a wise decision or should I stick with 95 grade.

Regards
Chandan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 AM

You can use the 91 octane, anything higher is just a waste of your money. It is comparable to 87 octane in North America, and now even the 3.5SR has been tuned to run on 87 octane. In Canada the grades at the Gas station are:

1) Regular - 87 octane. This is comparable to your 91 octane and is what you should be using in your 2.5s.
2) Mid-grade - 89 octane.
3) Premium - 91 octane.
4) Super Premium - 94 octane.

RL SB - Pending
RL RSB - Pending
Nismo Exhaust - Pending

2008 2.5s Altima with Convenience package - Sold

Last edited by jemcleod; 06-12-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Chandan Aidur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemcleod View Post
You can use the 91 octane, anything higher is just a waste of your money. It is comparable to 87 octane in North America, and now even the 3.5SR has been tuned to run on 87 octane. In Canada the grades at the Gas station are:

1) Regular - 87 octane. This is comparable to your 91 octane and is what you should be using in your 2.5s.
2) Mid-grade - 89 octane.
3) Premium - 91 octane.
4) Super Premium - 94 octane.

Makes sense! Why should I dish out extra $$$ for more octane when it is not needed.
2007 KIA Optima SEV6
2009 Hyundai Accent
2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S - My present Love!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:42 PM

All depends on what rating system you use over there. Hope this helps:

Measurement methods
Research Octane Number (RON)
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON)
There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load as it is done at 900 rpm instead of the 600 rpm of the RON[2][3]. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally, fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.[citation needed]

Anti-Knock Index (AKI)
In most countries, including all of those of Australia and Europe the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States and some other countries, like Brazil[4], the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI, and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Ur Girl Luvz My Alti.

Hmmm

Ive been using Super since day 1. Always wanted to know what gas to use for my 2.5 never had the chance to go over the booklet but now I read what you guys are talking about, I have to use regular gas now? Sux!

Last edited by KenStole; 06-13-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:04 AM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC

Quote:
Out of Curiosity, were there actual engine modifications or is this tuning that has happened in the owner's manual?

the 3.5SE (Pre SR) ran fine on 87 but had improved performance on Premium 91.

I ran 89

(all above are US grades)

~SB

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specboy View Post
Out of Curiosity, were there actual engine modifications or is this tuning that has happened in the owner's manual?

the 3.5SE (Pre SR) ran fine on 87 but had improved performance on Premium 91.

I ran 89

(all above are US grades)

~SB
This is tuning done from the factory. All 3.5SR Altima engines have been retuned by Nissan for 87 octane, so you buy it off the lot, its already done, my car is completely stock.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 AM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC

Quote:
This is tuning done from the factory. All 3.5SR Altima engines have been retuned by Nissan for 87 octane, so you buy it off the lot, its already done, my car is completely stock.
I'm curious about what retuning was done by nissan. What's the difference between the VQ35 between the 07-09 years and the 10+ years. It's not like the altima had a High compression ratio as it is.

~SB
Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specboy View Post
I'm curious about what retuning was done by nissan. What's the difference between the VQ35 between the 07-09 years and the 10+ years. It's not like the altima had a High compression ratio as it is.

~SB
10.3:1 is pretty high compression...

Most cars around or above 10.0:1 require 91 octane unless they are de-tuned by removing some timing so they don't detonate...Which is what they probably did with the 2010's...The only reason why the 07-09's could run regular, with lower performance and mileage, is because the knock sensors would kick in to lower the timing...

2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE CVT: 14.540 @ 96.530 MPH <----click here! The more clicks the better chance I have to win a GoPro!

Last edited by missouriguy1973; 06-14-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Chandan Aidur

By the way... I refuelled my car yesterday with RON 91 fuel and have driven 100 kms since. absolutely no problems of knocking and I feel the engine runs better!!!. Is this just a feeling???. Wouldnt know for sure.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caidur View Post
By the way... I refuelled my car yesterday with RON 91 fuel and have driven 100 kms since. absolutely no problems of knocking and I feel the engine runs better!!!. Is this just a feeling???. Wouldnt know for sure.
That will be just a feeling. It will run the same, you will have no issues.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Chandan Aidur

Quote:
That will be just a feeling. It will run the same, you will have no issues.
I guess so... I usually get the feeling that the car got smoother after a car body wash. Something like that! Thanks a lot Jemcleod.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I used to VQ, now i-VTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouriguy1973 View Post
10.3:1 is pretty high compression...

Most cars around or above 10.0:1 require 91 octane unless they are de-tuned by removing some timing so they don't detonate...Which is what they probably did with the 2010's...The only reason why the 07-09's could run regular, with lower performance and mileage, is because the knock sensors would kick in to lower the timing...
10.3:1 isn't high at all. I'd consider it low borderline highER compression or on the higher end of medium compression levels and I have no idea why they would require premium. Most other auto manufacturers that are sub 11.0:1 on a NA engine are running regular For example, all of the following have a higher compression than the Altima and run regular.
10.4:1 - Honda Fit (since 2003 - maybe 02)
10.5:1 - Toyota Yaris, Honda Accord (both 4cyl & V6 - including crosstour), Honda civic (R18 4cyl),CR-V, odyssey (with VCM), Pilot
10.6:1 - Chevy Malibu
10.8:1 - Honda Civic & Insight Hybrids

10.0:1 - Honda's other V6 offerings are all on regular in the the Odyssey (non VCM) and Ridgeline. even Chevy is at the 10.0 mark for their 4cyl engines.
10.3:1 - Ford is matching the altima's 10.3 on both the 3.0 & 3.5L V6 Fusions & Taurus.

In honda's lineup, only one vehicle has a sub 10 compression ratio (the element) at 9.7:1 - not quite sure why though. The only one that requies premium is the Civic Si at 11.0:1.

My experience as many know is primarily with the Honda side of things and I've never felt any performance or economy increase by running premium in the Fit, our Civic, my Integra GS, prelude, or Ridgeline. The only time I noticed anything was in the Ridgeline. We towed a 2700lb uHaul trailer and used premium; the difference was mainly in what I expected... I only lost 1mpg while towing and I expected at least a 4 or 5mpg loss.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 06-14-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM

87 for the 2.5 and 91-93 for the 3.5 That's what the books recommend.

20% Tint - LED Interior - Enkei or52 18" - 6k DDM HID - FLX-Paint Roof Overlay -
Vinyl Rear Valence - 6k Switchback LED's -

MY CVT goes hmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm
Old 06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey man, where's my car?

i don't know man, i use 89 on my 2.5 for some reason.

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.