sunroof leaking - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
sunroof leaking

this will b the 3rd time i bring my altima to get the sunroof drains fixed, im getting very annoyed cause i havent heard anyone else with this problem, they r gunna have to replace my roof and side pillar due to the water marks.
has anyone else had this problem?

09 Altima 2.5sl my new toy
red brick, black leather.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/320340...-nissan-altima

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2010, 01:07 PM

My 08 has a clogged drain on the drivers side. Not getting a ton of water damage yet, but my wife was felt it dripping on her feet by the dead pedal.

Took it to my dealership, and they assured me that all of the drains were cleaned and functioning. 2 Days later I finally had a chance to test it, and it is still clogged. The passenger side drains like a champ, the driver side is clogged up and will not drain at all.

I have heard others on here stating that they have had similar issues. Going back to the dealership after a call to the service manager

08 3.5 SE Sedan Super Black on Black, Leather
Bose, HID, Everything but Nav

07 HHR LS
87 TransAm 305 TPI
01 Road King TC 88
#3 Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin489 View Post
this will b the 3rd time i bring my altima to get the sunroof drains fixed, im getting very annoyed cause i havent heard anyone else with this problem, they r gunna have to replace my roof and side pillar due to the water marks.
has anyone else had this problem?
So will you be either a little annoyed, or maybe just plain annoyed if you hear of anyone else with this problem?

How will hearing of someone else having this same problem make your problem less serious?
#4 Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Sonoma 2.5SL ~ My Garage

If you park outside you may want to invest in a car cover, or at least put a little mesh screen over the drain hole to keep the crap out.

My other car is a Koenigsegg CCR
www.koenigsegg.com

'07 Sonoma Sunset 2.5 SL CVT Blonde & Loaded
#5 Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM

I havn't had any problem yet but where is the drain hole located?

#6 Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM

No waterdrain problems but I hear alot of wind noise, I better bring it to the dealer to get seals replaced under warranty....Extended warranty for the win!

-'08 Altima Coupe 2.5 CVT
-Stillen front lip, Stillen rear spoiler, 6000k Migo VX2 HID's, Eibach springs, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors, G37 wheels
#7 Old 08-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflne1 View Post
If you park outside you may want to invest in a car cover, or at least put a little mesh screen over the drain hole to keep the crap out.
Where is this drain hole so I can check it out ??

#8 Old 09-27-2010, 01:28 AM

Water is leaking on my driver side as well, did you get yours fixed??
#9 Old 09-27-2010, 02:45 AM

you first line of defense against water is the rubber seal on the glass ( seems to me by just looking at it ) so if a "drain" is even an issue the water is getting too far past the glass seal. the water shouldn't penetrate the roof line , should it ? mine doesn't, and i hit it pretty hard with the wand at the local foam and wash. if the water is getting past the roof line you got issues with the seal on the glass. there are 3 drin holes n the factory wind deflector, but NO water enters the roof line. and as far as post # 6 thats why they make the optional wind deflector i don't see any part of this stuff that looks like it should get wet!!

my cars... the 73 all stock R/S Z28 and the 01 Z28.. and the 08 3.5 SL with every available option ...

Last edited by twozs; 09-27-2010 at 02:57 AM.
#10 Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 AM

(Thread Starter)
im not annoyed that i hadnt heard of any other problems just every dealership i go to says im the only person with the problem, hearing of other problems may help my problem by finding a fix, i have the wind deflector, the drain is actually under the rubber seals on the glass, from what they have told me is that the sunroof doesnt 100% seal thats why they have the drains, no i have yet to get a 100% fix, they clean the drains and it wont leak for awhile then randomly when it rains it leaks.

sorry it took so long to get back, had some family issues recently and school is taking over my life along with building a new house

#11 Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM

looking at the seal on the front windshield, it does appear to be raised on the driver side vs the passenger side where there is no leaking , and my sunroof seems to be intact, Im thinking the water is coming through the seal on ther front windshield by the pillar and draining down... Im taking it to the dealership tomorrow to see if they can fix it... if not Im going to seal it myself and see if that works.
#12 Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin489 View Post
im not annoyed that i hadnt heard of any other problems just every dealership i go to says im the only person with the problem, hearing of other problems may help my problem by finding a fix, i have the wind deflector, the drain is actually under the rubber seals on the glass, from what they have told me is that the sunroof doesnt 100% seal thats why they have the drains, no i have yet to get a 100% fix, they clean the drains and it wont leak for awhile then randomly when it rains it leaks.

sorry it took so long to get back, had some family issues recently and school is taking over my life along with building a new house
i gotta call BS on the dealer. the glass edge should seal tight . looking at whats underneath it, as far as mechanicals none of that stuff looks like it should get wet. i washed My car the other day and hit the sunroof pretty hard with the wand . has to be 75 psi at your local foam and wash right ? i have the sun visor . after drying the car i had to half open the sun roof to dry the underside of the sun shade and to dry the front edge of the sun roof as you cant really reach it closed because of the visor, so i half open it. everything inside was dry. there is no evidence of any water or dirt or debris in the track as seen in my picture. inspect the opening of the roof and inspect the seal on the glass and see if you can determine where the water is getting in by a trash stain or some evidence of water and dirt

my cars... the 73 all stock R/S Z28 and the 01 Z28.. and the 08 3.5 SL with every available option ...
#13 Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 PM

Well, went to the dealership yesterday.. they took my ride to the back , but had me come around back to see if I could recreate the leak but no luck... I pulled of the drivers side molding in there was some condensation from earlier... We sprayed the sunroof the side of the front windshield with the waterhose but didnt see any water.. So the cleared the drain line for the sunroof and that was it. Im hoping this would fix my issue.
#14 Old 09-30-2010, 05:18 PM

good luck
#15 Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
got my car back yesterday from the dealer, dropped it off monday, they replaced the drain tube cause they said it was clogged and that they couldnt blow anything through, we will see how long this lasts until it happens again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode