LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Habitual Line Stepper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Extended cranking at start-up?

Hey everybody, just recently purchased an '08 3.5 SE. Really enjoying the car so far; however, one thing I've noticed is that sometimes the car takes a few extra cranks before it finally turns over and fires up.

After searching for a bit on here, I know it's definitely not the brake switch light issue. My only other guess is the battery (since it seems that apparently Nissan has given us a POS stock battery). The only weird thing is that this doesn't seem to be a consistent problem; sometimes it fires right up, where as other times it will take the few extra cranks before starting. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it, other then that it does seem to happen more consistently when the car has been sitting for awhile (sitting over night or while at work), versus starting it immediately if I've driven in a recent amount of time (coming in and out of a store, for example). The other thing is that there have been no other signs of a battery issue, ie dimming lights.

I'll probably stop by a local shop and have them test the battery, but I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue before, and if so what the solution ended up being? My only other guess is a possible starter issue, but the car only has 12k miles on it so that seems unlikely.

Thanks for any help guys, and glad to be apart of the forum!

'08 3.5 SE CVT

Place at the table!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2010, 05:16 PM

Sounds like your battery and starter are fine.
My guess would be (based on the fact that it happens more when the car has sat for some time) is a leaky fuel injector. If a fuel injector leaks it will basically "flood" a cylinder causing it to require a couple cranks to get it started.
I am not sure about the Nissan...but on GM cars you can bypass the initial injection of fuel by holding the gas pedal to the floor when you go to crank the engine. Try this and see if it starts up on the first try...if so it is definitely a leaky injector.
You may be able to fix it with fuel injector cleaner.

by the way...my battery is a 2.5 year old stock battery with no problems so far and 73K miles on the car.

2008 2.5SL
Sonoma Sunset

2007 FX35
Autumn Copper
#3 Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Altima FTW

Eh, its recommended by Nissan to never use any type of fuel injector cleaners. Should be in your owners manual if I'm not mistaken.

2007 2.5S Radiant Silver
Depo Black & Clear Headlights_Depo Chrome LED Tails_V-LED Parking Lights_Stealth Bulb Turns_DDM 6000k HID_V-LED 6000k Interior/License Plate_OEM Color-Matched Grille_17" Konig Incident Wheels_Fujita SRI_OEM Spoiler_De-badged_Tinted Windows_Kenwood KDC-MP442U_Polk MM651_Infinity Reference 9612i_JL 10W1v2-4_Eclipse EA4100 & 3122 Amps_Monster Wiring
#4 Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Habitual Line Stepper

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
Sounds like your battery and starter are fine.
My guess would be (based on the fact that it happens more when the car has sat for some time) is a leaky fuel injector. If a fuel injector leaks it will basically "flood" a cylinder causing it to require a couple cranks to get it started.
I am not sure about the Nissan...but on GM cars you can bypass the initial injection of fuel by holding the gas pedal to the floor when you go to crank the engine. Try this and see if it starts up on the first try...if so it is definitely a leaky injector.
You may be able to fix it with fuel injector cleaner.
You know it's interesting you mention that, I remember at some point in the owner's manual there was talk about having to hold down the accelerator while cracking if the engine was having trouble starting... almost as if Nissan was expecting it to happen. But I figured that would be for more extreme cold conditions, not now (though its been hot as hell this entire summer).

Worth taking a further look at though, I'll see if it makes a difference. Anyone else deal with a possible leaky fuel injector before?

'08 3.5 SE CVT

Place at the table!
#5 Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
By delay are you talking about cranking for 3-5 seconds, 5-10 seconds, or over 10 seconds of cranking. By right up do you mean 0-1 seconds? Do you have to press the try more than once to start it?

I would say battery. We have the 3.5. Nobody on here has had a problem with the engine or transmission that I've hear of. I wouldn't go put foriegn chemicals in the vehicle before I would go to the dealership and see what they say. If it is something major, let them fix it under warranty. Looks like you have 1 more year and 24k miles until it is void...actually drivetrain is 5 years 60k miles.

Even if you get the battery tested it will be after it has been driven for a while which would charge up your battery. My wife had her battery go dead in her 07 Max a few months after we got it Jan 09. Got a $50 battery from Advance Auto and haven't had a problem since.

07 Altima 3.5SE CVT--Black w/ Charcoal Leather--35% Tint, Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

Previous:
92 Sentra 2dr--Black w/ Gray Int--238k miles

DMV Area Roll Call
Come rep DC, MD, and VA!!!
#6 Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Habitual Line Stepper

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdublup View Post
By delay are you talking about cranking for 3-5 seconds, 5-10 seconds, or over 10 seconds of cranking. By right up do you mean 0-1 seconds? Do you have to press the try more than once to start it?

I would say battery. We have the 3.5. Nobody on here has had a problem with the engine or transmission that I've hear of. I wouldn't go put foriegn chemicals in the vehicle before I would go to the dealership and see what they say. If it is something major, let them fix it under warranty. Looks like you have 1 more year and 24k miles until it is void...actually drivetrain is 5 years 60k miles.

Even if you get the battery tested it will be after it has been driven for a while which would charge up your battery. My wife had her battery go dead in her 07 Max a few months after we got it Jan 09. Got a $50 battery from Advance Auto and haven't had a problem since.
Maybe around 5-6 seconds compared to 1-2 normally. Only have to try once, it just takes a few extra cranks before finally starting.

Tried holding the accelerator down when starting this morning and car cranked over faster, so maybe that was the trick. I just find it interesting that this was actually mentioned in the manual, so maybe it's not a huge deal? Who knows... I'll continue to monitor the situation; a good friend of mine is my mechanic as well, so we usually will try to diagnose things by looking at the easiest solutions first to see if that does the trick, then proceed from there. If all else fails I'll drop it off at the dealer, though I usually try my hardest to avoid any contact with them. Too many shady dealership experiences have soured me on dealing with them.

Probably will test the battery this weekend as well, just to be sure.

'08 3.5 SE CVT

Place at the table!
#7 Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 AM

do you use preimium gas. mine is spot on hot or cold .

my cars... the 73 all stock R/S Z28 and the 01 Z28.. and the 08 3.5 SL with every available option ...
#8 Old 09-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OP, I see you live in Cashburn, VA. I'm close in Stone Ridge (by South Riding). I go to the Sterling Nissan all the time. I've never had a hassle with those guys. I bought my car there 3 years ago and have gotten services there regularly. Also the Chantilly Nissan isn't bad either, they have $7.95 oil changes (can't beat that). I take mine and my wife's Max to both of these dealerships.

07 Altima 3.5SE CVT--Black w/ Charcoal Leather--35% Tint, Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

Previous:
92 Sentra 2dr--Black w/ Gray Int--238k miles

DMV Area Roll Call
Come rep DC, MD, and VA!!!
#9 Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Habitual Line Stepper

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twozs View Post
do you use preimium gas. mine is spot on hot or cold .
I've put in premium on my first couple fill-ups. Have a feeling that the used lot I purchased the car at was using regular, though. I know technically you can use regular, but the drop in performance and MPG isn't worth the couple extra bucks to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdublup View Post
OP, I see you live in Cashburn, VA. I'm close in Stone Ridge (by South Riding). I go to the Sterling Nissan all the time. I've never had a hassle with those guys. I bought my car there 3 years ago and have gotten services there regularly. Also the Chantilly Nissan isn't bad either, they have $7.95 oil changes (can't beat that). I take mine and my wife's Max to both of these dealerships.
Ahh, another Loudoun County guy. Used to live in South Riding a couple years ago myself, been to the Glory Days over by you many of times. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check those guys out.

'08 3.5 SE CVT

Place at the table!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode