2007 2.5L serpentine belt replacement - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2007 2.5L serpentine belt replacement

If anyone cares ..... I replaced the serpentine belt on my 2007 2.5L 4-cylinder Altima last night and it was quite easy. I was anticipating bloody knuckles, etc. as the space looked pretty constrained when I looked in the engine bay. However, you pretty much access everything from below [rather than from the top] and there was plenty of work space.

I removed the right front wheel and the wheel well cover, and had access to everything needed. I used a 14mm combo wrench to rotate the tension adjuster, and used a 1/4-inch hex bolt [inserted in the boss] to hold the tension while removing/installing the belt. I was laying on the ground when I rotated the tensioner with my right hand, and was able to insert the bolt with my left hand.

It took less than an hour, and I had to play with my son for part of that time too. This was the original Nissan belt with 87k miles on it. I went with an aftermarket Gates brand belt [not Nissan] just because I was driving by the parts store at the time.

If you change your own oil, you should be able to do this task as well.

-------------------

Jim
2007 Altima 2.5SL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2010, 04:53 PM

I am about due for this also. I would not have gone with the Gates brand though. The last one of those I had squealed like crazy. I ended up changing it out with the Goodyear Gatorbak. The GY one is really high quality compared with the Gates.
So...just a recommendation...if the new belt ends up making a lot of noise...try a GY one.

2008 2.5SL
Sonoma Sunset

2007 FX35
Autumn Copper
#3 Old 10-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Valley Forge

Cool Belt

I had tough time changing the belt. I loaned a tool from autozone, but it was not working. finally I had to use a 144 wrench; attached an extender below it. Pushed it and held it on a piece of wood on the control arm. This actually made the bolt turn a bit. I felt something like that at least. Repair manual tells not to do anything about the bolt.

However..since I changed it...I hear whiny noise on highway after driving for several hours. NOT SURE if its belt related or not.

I also used Good Year y before on other car. Just excellent. Quiet.
Good luck with rest of you who wants to change it.

#4 Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM
bil

Sorry for bringing this thread back but I am having a hard time with the drive belt tensioner. Did they change the design for 09? My box end wrench can't grab the bolt head as it barely stands out of the surface of the tensioner.
Also, where is the whole you are supposed to insert the 6mm pin/screwdriver to hold tensioner, would that be visible once the tensioner is pushed back?
Here's the picture of it on my 2009 2.5.
Any advice on how to accomplish this without special tools?
[IMG][/IMG]

2009 Altima 2.5
#5 Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
Sorry for bringing this thread back but I am having a hard time with the drive belt tensioner. Did they change the design for 09? My box end wrench can't grab the bolt head as it barely stands out of the surface of the tensioner.
Also, where is the whole you are supposed to insert the 6mm pin/screwdriver to hold tensioner, would that be visible once the tensioner is pushed back?
Here's the picture of it on my 2009 2.5.
Any advice on how to accomplish this without special tools?

Try using an offset boxed wrench or just a socket with a breaker bar. Either one of those options should access the bolt head.

The picture in the manual does look as though the boss becomes exposed once the adjuster is rotated.

Also, my Altima just passed 140k miles, so I have about 53k miles on the Gates belt and I have not had any noise issues with it.

-------------------

Jim
2007 Altima 2.5SL
The Following User Says Thank You to altima997 For This Useful Post:
bil
#6 Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 AM
bil

I did some more research and it seems like I misunderstood the instruction manual where it said to push to the left. I didn't realize they mean to tighten the tensioner bolt in order to reduce the tension on the belt. I will give it another try next weekend.

2009 Altima 2.5
#7 Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
I did some more research and it seems like I misunderstood the instruction manual where it said to push to the left. I didn't realize they mean to tighten the tensioner bolt in order to reduce the tension on the belt. I will give it another try next weekend.
To take the tension off the drive belt, turn the tensioner bolt clockwise; it's like tightening the bolt but you're really turning the tensioner arm. It's a very tight space between the tensioner bolt head and the frame; a 1/2" drive with socket is too big. Some auto parts stores carry loaner tools for that application or you can just buy the special tool.

KA-T for life, yo!
#8 Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
see this is why I couldn't trust myself to do it myself to save a few bucks. I'd rather just take the oem replacement or goodyear gator backs and Stillen or 2J-Racing lightweight pulley to my mechanic and just pay him to do it. I know I'd probably mess it up and then it costing me a bigger fix

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
#9 Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM
bil

Well, that is part of the learning process There are jobs I will not attempt either but this should be easy. I knew I was missing something in the process and it was starting to rain, so I decided to pack it back up. The most difficult thing I've done was the timing belt, pump and radiator on my 93 V6 Camry and it took me 2.5 days at my slow pace, lack of proper tools, getting stuck at different points of the process and figuring out how to proceed. And I owe that partly to the great toyotanation forum and the time a few guys took to do a real nice DIY howto with lots of pics.
Once you complete the job you get that satisfaction and sense of accomplishment. Plus I have to change the belt on two cars so double the savings (wife has Altima as well).

2009 Altima 2.5
#10 Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 AM
bil

Bought a set of offset box wrenches, $12.xx from Harbor freight. 30 minutes per car and job is done. Saved close to $200.

2009 Altima 2.5
#11 Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Sorry to bring up this older thread again, but wanted to add my $.02 (for those looking for instruction in the future) after changing the belt myself this weekend too. Using a 14mm offset wrench is a must if you don't want to round off the tensioner bolt. The loaner tools are even easier to work with since they are much longer and have a low profile. While you may be able to get the old belt off just by pulling on the tensioner, the new belt is slightly smaller so harder to get back on while you're trying to pull on the tensioner at the same time. Indeed use a 1/4" bolt or pin to go from the back side boss to provide a stop for the pulley in the retracted position. (I used like a 1-1/2" long bolt) You can feel for the boss (hole) around the back side of the pulley towards the front of the car. Once locked in the retracted position you can easily slide the new belt over the tensioner pulley since it is smooth. You won't be able to fit it over any of the other pulleys, its that tight. I used a Gatorback; it does seem very quiet.

07 2.5S Precision Grey
Homelink Mirror, OEM Spoiler, De-badged.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ptxer For This Useful Post:
#12 Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 AM

I also just changed mine this past weekend and it was quite easy.
The most difficult part is getting the new belt on as there isn't much slack to work with.
I used a stubby screwdriver to lock the tensioner in place.
#13 Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
did you go with gatorbacks??

2009 2.5s with Takeda sri, Stillen front strut brace, 6k HIDs, black matrix depo tails, glossy black roof vinyl, LED drls., Plastidipped oem bumper, BrakeMotive package
----
future mods: lowering springs, Racingline or Stillen rear sway bar, 4 channel amp, catback exhaust, 2JR pulley swap
#14 Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Yes I installed a Gatorback.
Got rid of that annoying squeak from the worn belt.
#15 Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Boland01

I changed my oem belt out at 75K because it was starting to get alot of small cracks. I too tried the Gatorback belt. It seems to be quieter and I'm now at 102K with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode