Best trailer hitch for Altima? - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best trailer hitch for Altima?

I see a few online--are the 2.5 and 3.5 sedans able to take the same hitch? I am likely just using this for a bike rack.

Also, this is leased. I may turn it in after that period. Can anybody say how Nissan will respond to a trailer hitch? The car does have a mild tow-rating. I assume Nissan wouldn't really care, but maybe would make me remove it?

2011 Altima 3.5 SR

PM me if you've also noticed misbehavior in the trip MPG rating and aren't afraid to admit it! http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...ng-altima.html

Last count: 3, including me, have noticed this misbehavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know nothing about hitches for our cars but i remember i've seen one installed which required removal of exhaust and drilling bunch of holes. Something dealer might not be too happy with lol.
Then again if you take it off before lease is up i'm sure noone will ever notice (except for the next owner some time down the line lol) Or just return it together with it if dealer woun't mind since it'll probably cost you more to remove it then to sell it later.

#3 Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM
'07 Altima 3.5SE

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
IMO, taking off the front wheel and putting the bike in the trunk or backseat would be easier.
#4 Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralan07 View Post
IMO, taking off the front wheel and putting the bike in the trunk or backseat would be easier.
You could do that or perhaps look into getting a roof rack and get the appropriate bike attachments. That way you can remove it before heading to the dealership and you could resell it to get some of your money back. My buddy has one on his mazda and we load that roof rack up all the time and have yet to have an issue with scratching...as long as your careful of course.

2007 Altima 2.5S-74,000
2006 Sentra 1.8 "Special Edition"- 52,000
#5 Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 AM

(Thread Starter)
I have four bikes that I need to carry and a four bike rack that fits a Class III hitch, so the trunk won't work. I don't even know if I could do a roof and if I could it would be way pricier. The hitch-attached bike racks are absolutely excellent, but I do need a hitch. Even a Class I I could probably get an adapter.

2011 Altima 3.5 SR

PM me if you've also noticed misbehavior in the trip MPG rating and aren't afraid to admit it! http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...ng-altima.html

#6 Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 AM
'07 Altima 3.5SE

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If you have 4 bikes to carry at once, then why did you buy a damn altima? Coulda gotten a smaller SUV with a proper hitch assembly.
#7 Old 05-24-2011, 11:11 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralan07 View Post
If you have 4 bikes to carry at once, then why did you buy a damn altima? Coulda gotten a smaller SUV with a proper hitch assembly.
I just need to carry some bikes, I'm not looking to haul a 22' trailer. Towing is not a big scary monster. A typical vehicle's hitch costs in the ballpark of $150. I'm really surprised nobody here has got one on their 3.5 (at least who's seen this thread)!

2011 Altima 3.5 SR

#8 Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM
bil

You can check on amazon product info pages, it asks you to specify the exact model including engine size, but I would imagine they are the same. I installed one on my 2.5 but you are interested in 3.5. Personally, I wouldn't do it on a lease car unless you have a great relationship with your dealer, or if you are leasing another vehicle from them when your lease is up. The install instructions that came with mine had a line in bold asking for sealant to be used on holes drilled to prevent rust, so dealer may not be very happy if you installed it yourself, who knows. I don't think you will find many 4 bike racks, if at all, for the altima since it attaches to the trunk and you are limited on tongue weight.

2009 Altima 2.5
#9 Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Dealers really don't care if you have a hitch on it, lease or not. Dealers are loving used cars so they will take anything these days.

~Mark

SOLD: 2010 Altima 3.5SR Coupe Fully Loaded- Eibach Springs/Racingline Y-Pipe/Takeda Intake

Nissan Factory Service Manuals (FSM):
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/
#10 Old 05-24-2011, 02:42 PM
bil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQP0WER View Post
Dealers really don't care if you have a hitch on it, lease or not. Dealers are loving used cars so they will take anything these days.
I would disagree. Unauthorized modifications are something the dealer easily could use to penalize you. And if they are a crappy dealer, they will.

2009 Altima 2.5
#11 Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
I would disagree. Unauthorized modifications are something the dealer easily could use to penalize you. And if they are a crappy dealer, they will.
Just take the dang hitch off when it's time to turn it in. Simple as that. I just turned in a lease and they didn't even do a real inspection. All the lease paperwork says to schedule a turn in inspection, but I didn't even do that.
They wrote down the VIN# and a quick walk around and that was that.

We were looking at new vehicles one night two months prior to our lease ending, and we ended up turning in our lease two months early and into a new car within an hour. No inspection, no hassles, nothing.

The turned in leased vehicles are going right back on their lot to be sold as used.

By the way, the dealer can't penalize you for anything. The lease is through Nissan Motors, not the dealer.

~Mark

SOLD: 2010 Altima 3.5SR Coupe Fully Loaded- Eibach Springs/Racingline Y-Pipe/Takeda Intake

#12 Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 PM
bil

If they are lazy to check, yes you can get away. What will give it up, is that you have to bend the heatshield on both sides to drill the holes, so it will never look as it did before. If they charge you for dents etc, what's stopping them to charge for drilling the trunk?
Getting a new lease from them changes everything, you are a paying customer for 3 more years.

2009 Altima 2.5
#13 Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM

(Thread Starter)
Didn't realize drilling was involved. Not interested if I have to do that, on the chance I do turn it in, in which case I'll hitch my Prius instead

2011 Altima 3.5 SR

#14 Old 05-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Pictures and install:

Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch for Nissan Altima 2010 - 24796

~Mark

#15 Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQP0WER View Post
Thanks, I'm definitely hesitant to drill into a leased vehicle. I know that the hitches for the Prius (and that car, unlike this one, has ZERO tow rating capacity, but oh well, I know hitches do fit on it ) don't require drilling so probably lean that way.

Thread satisfied me, thanks!

2011 Altima 3.5 SR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode