Oil leak - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

NissanClub.com is the premier Nissan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Oil leak

Hi Guys,

I have an oil leak that I can't seem to figure out. It is without a doubt coming from the passenger side of the car. If you are facing the car the leak is coming from somewhere around the 2 o'clock position and is about 6 to 10 inches in. I've looked everywhere but I have no way of getting completely under the car. It appears to be coming from the one place that I can't get my hand on from the top or see from the bottom. I am hoping that their is something going on with a seal or sensor or something...Any ideas ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 AM

2.5 or 3.5? If you have a 2.5 my first instinct would be to the check oil filter since the leak is on the passenger side. It's behind a plastic cover behind the wheel; if it's loose give it a good hand-tighten.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM

It's a 2.5..I checked the oil filter already and the oil has been changed at the dealership since the oil started..they were just too "busy" to find the leak for me. I'm pretty sure that it is something along the back side of the engine..
Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 PM

just take it to the dealership or a shop. they'll just put a dye in it (like with freon leak) and then have you bring it back in a couple days. you never said what year it is, or how many miles you have, but if it's an 07 or 08 with a lot of miles most any of the gaskets could be in need of replacement. most cars I've owned have developed very minor leaks at various gaskets (most often valve cover) once the hit 100k or more.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 PM

2007 with 74,000 miles. The valve cover gasket was replaced and their was already a minor going on prior to it being changed. Could I go and buy that dye on my own ? I've looked around at Advance auto parts and couldn't find it.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM

don't know. but you'd need an ultraviolet light to see it anyway. it's not expensive to have done, a lot of places won't even charge you.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM

Kind of surprising that Nissan didn't look for it, considering it would be potential business. I am a repeat customer at the dealership here in Chantilly, VA and when we took our Maxima in for a leak, they found the power steering fluid leak, as well as a bad seal on the CVT that was causing a slight leak (replaced under 120k warranty). They were looking for all the money they could. The mechanic took me out to the shop and show me where everything was leaking before they started the work. Also had a bad motor mount during that visit.

Try PM Adamechanic (I think that's his name) on here and see if he can help. He is a Nissan tech.

Where are you located? That information would be great in you profile info as well as vehicle info (Year/trim model/engine) in your signature, so members can have a little more info to help out.

Previous:
92 Sentra 2dr--Black w/ Gray Int--238k miles

DMV Area Roll Call
Come rep DC, MD, and VA!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 PM

yea, I was surprised by that too. every time I've had a car at the shop, weather it be for work or an inspection, and I've had an oil leak they've always just put the dye in and told me to come back and they'd find and fix the leak.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey man, where's my car?

hey did you mention that if i face the car the leak is at 2'0 clock? that is driver side, no? that's where the tranny is (2.5, not sure about 3.5 - maybe the same spot). could it be cvt? i would take to to dealt anyways.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 AM

Every time I step foot in the dealership I hear someone talking about how they don't have enough mechanics. So if you don't make an appointment or show up before 8 a.m. you can forget about getting anything done other than an oil change. Even the oil change will be an hour and a half wait.

I was saying 2 o'clock position from the passenger side tire if you are facing the car. / <-- That direction from the passenger side tire. It is without a doubt an oil leak coming from the back side of the engine.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Hey man, where's my car?

^-- Sorry, probably I misread. Anyway it could be the oil filter or the gasket as some other members pointed out. Or it may even be the oil pan washer. You can check the oil filter by lying on the floor, in front of passenger side wheel - pull the plastic cover between wheel well and engine bay (just above the drive shaft), you should see the filter top, maybe run your finger near the bottom side.

You are true about dealership. i think they want you to schedule an appointment because they want to diagnose the issue and, of course charge. i have brake booster issue and when i told them that i have such a problem, diagnose charge was $50 via an appointment.

If your dealership is busy, you can always try a different one tho. Hope you issue get resolved soon!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 AM

I never got a pm. Thanks for the kick back jduplup. The oil pans on Nissans very rarely leak unless you hit something with them. Anyone who has said they had a leaking oil pan was likely fed a line and the real issue was fixed without being informed of it (to save face). The number one culprit for oil leaks is in fact the oil cooler. There are two kinds that leak. You have the round ones as found on most 3.5's, 4.0's, and 5.6's that the oil filters screw directly on. The seal normally gets brittle and needs to be changed by removing the filter, then removing the banjo bolt with a 24mm. Pull the cooler towards you and replace the seal on the backside making sure the o-ring is inside the inner lip. The other kind is a square pancake cooler that sits midway up the back of most newer 4 cyl's. Simply remove the bolts, replace the metal gasket and reinstall. Best of luck.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 AM

I didn't realize that I first started this post over a year ago. The small leak that seemed to have disappeared turned in to a flow of oil pretty much overnight. I found the leak, it is coming from the oil cooler, but the metal gasket is in tact. The oil leak is coming from the top of the oil cooler, it is mid way between two bolts on the square part of the oil cooler. The dealership told me that their isn't an O-ring in the 4 cylinder version, only in the 6, so it looks like I am going to be out $300-$400 !! What a great day..

Columbus, Georgia
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 AM

I found a TSB on it. NTB-11-015a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.