LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
the deerinator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BRAKE warning light

So my little red BRAKE warning light has been coming on often, but usually goes away after you press on the brakes. I had my car in the shop this weekend to get the oil changed and I asked them to look at the brakes to see if they needed to be replaced. He said the pads had plenty of life left in them, and were fine. I asked what else might make the light come on and he said the e-brake is attached to the sensor too, so maybe a problem with the e-brake or the sensor? The e-brake works fine as I pushed it all the way down several times and it kept the car in place. I'm assuming he checked the fluid levels too (dumb assumption for asking a shop to "check the brakes"?).

Anyone have any ideas for why my BRAKE warning light has been randomly coming on, and why it goes away when I press the brakes?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2011, 01:10 PM
the deerinator

(Thread Starter)
As an update, I started seeing all these master cylinder threads. I just went out to look at the level of my brake fluid and it is right above the MIN level. Is that normal? Should I put more in so it's right below the MAX level? I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but from what I can tell is the master cylinder (behind the brake fluid container), it looks clean, and I haven't noticed any leaking in my garage or anything. I have about 61k miles on the car.
#3 Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Have you been able to comprehend and understand what has been said and posted in "all these master cylinder threads"?

I can understand and appreciate that you are not terribly mechanically inclined, but the answer you are looking for is contained in those threads.

Take the time to read those master cylinder threads....all of them.
#4 Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 PM

Mines just started leaking a month ago. I have to fill it to the top every 2 weeks or the light will come on. I only have 28,xxx miles on my 07. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA hoping that it might speed up the ongoing investigation into this issue.

I can replace it myself, but I don't want to buy a new BMC.
#5 Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
the deerinator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
Have you been able to comprehend and understand what has been said and posted in "all these master cylinder threads"?

I can understand and appreciate that you are not terribly mechanically inclined, but the answer you are looking for is contained in those threads.

Take the time to read those master cylinder threads....all of them.
I can't tell if you're being a dick, or you were just trying to get across that there was more to be explained that could be answered with a simple response. Anywho, thanks, maybe?

It does seem to be exhibiting the same symptoms as a lot of the master cylinder people were having. If I accelerate like I would getting onto a highway, the light comes on. It goes off if I slow down. I'm going to pick up some brake fluid on my way home from work to put it in and keep a watchful eye on it to see if it goes down at all. If I am obviously losing break fluid, I think I'm going to have to make an appointment. Can a regular mechanic diagnose and fix this, or do I have to bring it to Nissan? I'd prefer not to pay the dealership premium on something that could be fixed cheaper elsewhere.

What would be really nice is if the NHTSA forced Nissan to issue a recall on this soon so I don't have to pay for it. Seems to me if they've already had to recall Sentras for this, it wouldn't be a far stretch to assume the Altimas are going to be recalled as well.
#6 Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm pretty sure certified mechanics will be able to diagnose the root issue. If one of your lines were leaking, you would have no pressure in the brake pedal due to air getting in the system. It should not be a problem for an ASE certified mechanic to replace the master cylinder. I just checked my fluid yesterday after a week of topping it off and it was between the max and min line. A (big) bottle of Valvoline DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid is ~$8, so I plan to wait and complain.
#7 Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM

How are your pads ? If the pads get worn down, then fluid will seem low, and it will trigger the brake light. Before u add fluid, check your pads. If you fill up now, and do ur brakes later, when u push the caliper back in it will overflow from the master brake cylinder if you are not careful.

2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 Se
- Dark Slate
- Sports Package
- 6 Speed
- DDM Tuning 3K Fogs

Best 1/4 : 14.504@ 97.67mph
#8 Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM

OP said he had them checked and the tech said that they had plenty of life in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Forums > 2007-2012 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode